Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 21:12   #121
Senior - BHPian

Update - I have woken up yet again !!!!

Ok here goes - after a long period of hibernation I woke up when I saw that Zen flying & frying the competition in the Redline Drag/s !!

So the bad boy in me - has woken up from deep slumber.

So the options as I have thought of are :

#Simply put back the cam AND run an RD ECU
#Simply turbocharge the 1.3
#Simply swap a worked on 1.6 into the bay
#Simply plonk in the worked on 1.6 AND TC it !!

All is simply simple & I shall entrust the job SIMPLY to speedsport.

I shall have a little chat on the $$$ vs performance / reliability & go ahead.

Any inputs ??

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 29th September 2010 at 21:14.
Old 29th September 2010, 21:49   #122
BHPian

Yeah These simple simple mods will give you a simple car in which you will be amazed every time you drive it.

what car were you driving at drags ???? i was there in my verna and there is only one vernat at the event !!!
Old 1st October 2010, 12:41   #123
BHPian

Turbo the 1.3, you will love it.
Old 1st October 2010, 14:01   #124
BHPian

My opinion based on my experience till date with the ongoing Lancer project, stick with the engine you have right now. You will end up saving effort,time,money.
Build the engine ground up for high boost if you want. Put in a turbo with chassis strengthening and beef up the suspension.
This way you will be able to get the car running quickly and still it will be awesome fun.

Just my opinion though
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:43   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Yeah These simple simple mods will give you a simple car in which you will be amazed every time you drive it.

what car were you driving at drags ???? i was there in my verna and there is only one vernat at the event !!!
Thanks for your comments ! No I do not drive in drags, so you may not have seen me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Turbo the 1.3, you will love it.
That goes along my line of thought, it seems simpler than the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
My opinion based on my experience till date with the ongoing Lancer project, stick with the engine you have right now. You will end up saving effort,time,money.
Build the engine ground up for high boost if you want. Put in a turbo with chassis strengthening and beef up the suspension.
This way you will be able to get the car running quickly and still it will be awesome fun.

Just my opinion though

Thanks for your POV, The OE engine has about 37k on the odo, so do I really need a re-build ? The good thing about retaining this engine is it remains insurable & legal.

I could go for forged internals if I were to run high boost, that is still a question I need to address. The suspension is good, the front shocks are new though OE, but yes may need beefing up.

This is essentially a fun car for me (for the boy in me) I would assume that the turbo should give the desired result without going in for the 1.6 swap.

Will consider cost implications for the options & decide. Thanks

Cheers
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:06   #126
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Get a worked NA 1.6.

Once the swap is done, the headache will be over. Running a turbo requires quite a bit more care.
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:02   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Get a worked NA 1.6.

Once the swap is done, the headache will be over. Running a turbo requires quite a bit more care.
I appreciate your POV. Just one question. Why is the vRS troublefree. That is also a TC car. Pardon my ignorance. Of course I understand it is factory built vs custom built, but once set up properly, should it not perform in a troublefree fashion ??

Thanks

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 3rd October 2010 at 21:03.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:56   #128
Senior - BHPian

A vRS isn't without it's own set of quirks anyways. And any factory install is going to be overengineered, with the limit being set somewhere like 60-70% of its maximum capability. As opposed to a custom build which is, in most cases, pushed close to its limits. The thought process goes something like "Hey, I've spent XYZ Rupees on it, why should I stick to 165 whp when I can just up the boost/revlimit/xyz a little and get 190 whp?"

If you and your tuner can stay sensible and not go all-out, you can have the reliability. The only difference is that with an NA engine, there are less things that can go wrong, and less things that will mess up other things in the chain.

Last edited by pranavt : 3rd October 2010 at 22:58.
Old 8th October 2010, 10:48   #129
Senior - BHPian

What in your opinion would be nicer to drive (read kick in the rear) faster 0-100

The OE engine 1.3 with forged internals, a cam, an ECU & a T20 BTW the head on my 1.3 is already ported & polished.

OR

the worked on 1.6 NA, with cam, ECU, ported polished head.

Also what kind of costs may we be looking at ?? Would this end up being better than the t-jet Linea ?

Thanks

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 8th October 2010 at 10:52.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:14   #130
BHPian

Which 1.6 are you talking here? I would go with the 1.3, its a beautiful engine, takes loads of abuse. Internals are easily available. T20 is small.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:21   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
What in your opinion would be nicer to drive (read kick in the rear) faster 0-100

The OE engine 1.3 with forged internals, a cam, an ECU & a T20 BTW the head on my 1.3 is already ported & polished.

OR

Also what kind of costs may we be looking at ?? Would this end up being better than the t-jet Linea ?

Thanks
What kind of boost are you planning to get on the 1.3? only if you are going above 12PSI you need forged internals. I have seen swifts up till 10PSI running on stock internals.

The worked NA 1.6 is always the best bet, it can be used as a daily drive without any hassles and will still be faster and reliable than a 1.3 turbo.

a fellow bhpian brought a side impact 2001 model baleno for the engine for less than a lac i guess, he took all the parts he needed and then sold the shell for 30k, and that was 2 years ago you can get a similar baleno for less than 70-80 k today and after taking the engine fuel rails and pump you can still sell the rest in scrap.

For this you should be looking at spending close to a lac including the engine and works, you will have a fast base car to work on for future mods, and as far a legality goes one can easily get the old engine number stamped on the new one, its easy on a Maruti. You will be looking at a RS killer forget the humble t jet

Pramod
Old 8th October 2010, 12:26   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post

OR

Thanks
Definitely the first one! You will need a t25 though .. t20 is too small
Old 8th October 2010, 15:06   #133
Senior - BHPian

T25 is too small lol
Old 8th October 2010, 15:17   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
as far a legality goes one can easily get the old engine number stamped on the new one
This is illegal.
Please do not teach such non-legal acts on here.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:37   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
T25 is too small lol
Should be just right for a DD street car!

Most Viewed