Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2005, 09:13   #1

Which Petrol Engine For Safari ??

Hi, I Have A Diesel Safari 99, I Am Not Satisfied With The Power Of Safari Diesel Engine.

I Wish To Replace It With A Powerful Petrol Engine.

Will Contessa 1.8 Isuzu Petrol Engine Be Fine ??

Or Else Which Petrol Engine Will Be Suitable???

Amit
Old 19th June 2005, 10:14   #2
BHPian

i personally think that the isz 1.8 petrol engine will be a tad underpowered for the safari.. why dont you source the 2.0 petrol engine that tata make for the petrol safari
Old 19th June 2005, 10:17   #3

well, thats a good suggestion, but will be too expensive, i do not want to spend too much on it . do we have any other options ??

amit
Old 19th June 2005, 10:24   #4
BHPian

amit bhai i dont know how usefull this post will be but then why dont you try & get a 2.8 pajero engine not only is it powerfull its also diesel & spares wont be a problem..
Old 19th June 2005, 11:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

why don't u try CRDel engine of Scorpio
Old 19th June 2005, 11:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

did u check out chor bazar and cst road in kurla for engines...i guess thats the best place to look for imported and used engines?
Old 19th June 2005, 11:35   #7
BANNED

Well Shahmotors i dont think its easy to change a diesel engine into petrol or vice versa as it will involve loads of other changes as well.. you will have to change the valves, adjust chassy set the suspension and alot more.. The Petrol engine of the Safari itself is underpowered and it takes almost 17secs to reach 100 wheras the New Scorpio CRDe is faster then its petrol sibling as well as faster then all Safaris and also Innova. The New Safari engine is also not fuel efficient and gives 7kpl and that much sacrifcie in FE for no power is not worth.

IMHO stick to this engine and work on getting 100% out of it. Use filter, muffler, chip( i feel its not possible) since engine is Direct Ignition and not a Turbo Intercooled one but why do TATA write Turbo intercooler besides it?
Old 19th June 2005, 11:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya
since engine is Direct Ignition and not a Turbo Intercooled one but why do TATA write Turbo intercooler besides it?
The Safari's engine is turbocharged, I dont know about the intercooler bit.
Old 19th June 2005, 14:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The Safari's engine is turbocharged, I dont know about the intercooler bit.
all models from mid 2000 have an intercooler also.
Old 19th June 2005, 20:39   #10

Amit bhai,
Tata safari have a 1948 cc indirect injection turbo intercooled (483 DL series) .

as sanket suggested go for a pajero 2.8 engine (118 hp and 29.8 kgm of torque) or a toyota qualis and fix a aftermarket turbo .
this will give u around 100-110hp the availabiility of spares wont be a problem .
another option is nissan Commonrail engine 2184 cc 136 hp and 32 kgm of torque the engine is very refined too ..

i dont know the modifications needed in mounting these engines.
anyways i would recomend a diesel engine for safari .
Old 19th June 2005, 23:49   #11

thanx guys for all the sugestion, i think i will try for the pajero engine, further i think qualis engine would be a good option,

is qualis engine turbocharged?? if not how sucessful is aftermarket turbo kit??

amit
Old 20th June 2005, 17:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

thanx guys for all the sugestion, i think i will try for the pajero engine, further i think qualis engine would be a good option,

is qualis engine turbocharged?? if not how sucessful is aftermarket turbo kit??

well, the qualis has a indirect injection, 2.5 litre, 73 bhp engine that produces 151 nm of torque. and no, there aren't any specific aftermarket turbo kits for the qualis engine- you'll have to source one from turbonetics, or as such- or you'll have to experiment with the safari's/ scorpio's turbo. in my humble opinion, the safari's IDI 1948 cc, turbocharged, intercooled, 90 bhp in-line four is way better- plus, it has 187 nm of torque. i own a safari 4x4 myself, and i have found it to be slightly underpowered only in the city- the car gets into a rythm on its own on the highway....

Quote:
all models from mid 2000 have an intercooler also.
actually, aadix, all the models of the safari, have intercoolers, right upto the nov. 1997 model.

my suggestion is, that you wait a li'l bit, and go in for the safari crd-i, or the engine from the crdi variant. the plus point being that most probably, you won't have to change your gearbox, as the bell-housing might be of the same dimensions; in all your other options, you will have to do heavy fabrication- the mounts of the pajero 2.8 and the x-trail are very different from that of the safari- and also, the gearboxes will have to be changed, which will be an expensive proposition( the costs might run close to 2 lacs+).

and more importantly, the crd-i engine from tata will carry a warranty, and the dealer will change the engine no. in your r/c book, making the whole process legal and worthwhile... and reliability won't be a problem either..
Old 20th June 2005, 20:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Try the Isuzu Trooper +92 3 liter 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine you could get it for a steal in mumbai... the engine produces 156 bhp... and gives about 25 MPG of diesel...
Old 20th June 2005, 23:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Try the Isuzu Trooper +92 3 liter 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine you could get it for a steal in mumbai... the engine produces 156 bhp... and gives about 25 MPG of diesel...
Sounds good. How much is a 'steal', approximately?
Old 24th June 2005, 22:53   #15
BHPian

The best choice is the 135ps Tata Sari petrol engine.Though it will be a costly affair it would be the ideal fit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks