Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 23:30   #1
BHPian

K & N Filter for SX4

I want to fit K & N filter in my SX4, however my usual mechanic says that its impossible to do so, due to the sensors which are fitted in the filter body.
Has anyone tried to fit one.
Experts please help.
Old 16th July 2009, 10:58   #2
BHPian

I also asked someone about the filter. He said that the ECU is located in such a place that installing a filter is out of the question. Dont know whether thats true, havent really been able to follow it up.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
I also asked someone about the filter. He said that the ECU is located in such a place that installing a filter is out of the question. Dont know whether thats true, havent really been able to follow it up.
Is it really worth changing the Air filter? Will the performance improve perceivably? I am not sure if it is worth investing money on a K&N. I may be wrong. Experts please suggest.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:29   #4
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Your mechanic is not giving you accurate information. Most M.A.S.S outlets and also MUL dealers sell K & N stock replacement filters that are a direct fit into the almost the entire range of its cars.

If you want, you can also get the stock replacement filters fited outside (might be a little cheaper) Recently, while I was at an accessories shop, a customer was getting a K & N stock replacement filter fitted into his new SX4 ZXi. So you can swap your current filter with a K & N. There won't be any adverse affect to any sensors.
Old 16th July 2009, 15:10   #5
BHPian

now you can fit the aftermarket k&N filters also the conical one as the intake pipe which has the slot fo rthe sensor is available too

i am not sure about the stock filter available for sx-4 though
Old 16th July 2009, 15:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Is it really worth changing the Air filter? Will the performance improve perceivably? I am not sure if it is worth investing money on a K&N. I may be wrong. Experts please suggest.
From what I understand, best results are achieved by a FFE and a conical filter. Since the conical filter is cheaper, beginning or thinking of beginning with that.
Havent decided as yet, but lets see. Again, I may be wrong about what I said above - leaving it to the experts here.
Old 16th July 2009, 19:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

A newbie question:

What are the tangible benefits that can be expected by using this K&N filter in a SX4? And how much would it cost?
Old 16th July 2009, 19:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
A newbie question:

What are the tangible benefits that can be expected by using this K&N filter in a SX4? And how much would it cost?
Get a K&N Universal filter fitted. It increases the air intake to your engine, hence better pick and mileage. It mite cost around 6k.
Old 16th July 2009, 20:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is worth every penny spent, I have already used it in my Indica/Indigo/Scorpio/Swift etc. and trust me the change in pickup, top speed speed, performance specially in higher rpm range is commendable if not phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Your mechanic is not giving you accurate information. Most M.A.S.S outlets and also MUL dealers sell K & N stock replacement filters that are a direct fit into the almost the entire range of its cars.
If you want, you can also get the stock replacement filters fited outside (might be a little cheaper) Recently, while I was at an accessories shop, a customer was getting a K & N stock replacement filter fitted into his new SX4 ZXi. So you can swap your current filter with a K & N. There won't be any adverse affect to any sensors.[/quote]

No stock replacement is made for SX4 so far, there must be some mistake, I have already checked with almost all performance tuners in Delhi/NCR apart from the K & N official website/online store. Otherwise also I am more keen into CAI type (conical ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
now you can fit the aftermarket k&N filters also the conical one as the intake pipe which has the slot fo rthe sensor is available too

i am not sure about the stock filter available for sx-4 though
Is it so, sorry to disappoint but I haven't seen/heard anything like this atleast for SX4, as it has multiple sensors fitted in the air filter body, and one near to throttle body is quite big (rectangular in shape). So adjusting the same in intake pipe is quite a tricky job.
Old 16th July 2009, 21:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the performance will seem to improve but actually it will be negligible. you will get a good sound and the car will be more free revving.
Old 16th July 2009, 23:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the performance will seem to improve but actually it will be negligible. you will get a good sound and the car will be more free revving.
I beg to differ with your opinion, I can tell you from my experience with 4 cars mentioned above that the difference in performance is much than good sound and free revving provided you got good CAI system in place and not just the stock replacement filter.
Old 17th July 2009, 08:10   #12
BHPian

I was also trying to find K&N replacement for my SX4 but i was not able to get in chennai. What i came to know from K&N website is that they have not started manufacturing the K&N replacement filter for 1.6L SX4.

If somebody has updated information, i would request them to share.
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:12   #13
BHPian

I have finally got the K & N installed in my SX4. Pics to be followed very soon.
Special thanks to smokin for providing the reference.
Old 23rd August 2009, 00:55   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
I beg to differ with your opinion, I can tell you from my experience with 4 cars mentioned above that the difference in performance is much than good sound and free revving provided you got good CAI system in place and not just the stock replacement filter.
do you have cais on all the 4 cars? and which k&n did u finally get on the sx4?
Old 24th August 2009, 00:37   #15
BHPian

I had stock replacement in Indigo/Santro, and Conical one (K & N Extreme series) in Indica/Swift and SX4. Had tested the same in Scorpio but now sold that one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks