Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 16:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
It's simply a fake one.
Fake!?!? On what grounds do you say that?

I don't see any sign that its fake... but then this is the 1st time I'v been able to find Turtle Wax in town, so don't have a tin to compare with.

The shop where I bought it from is as far as I know quite old... and possibly reputed. I don't think they will sell fake stuff. Can't be 100% sure though...

Posting the pics below. Even the importers sticker is there. The yellow sponge applicator with the turtle embossed can also be seen. The stuff inside is a green paste. Haven't been able to use it yet as its been raining here.

Any sign that its a fake?
Attached Thumbnails
3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite-280709_1553.jpg  

3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite-280709_1555.jpg  

Old 28th July 2009, 16:37   #47
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Racoon,

From your pics, the can does look genuine. Do they have any distributers in Bangalore?
Old 28th July 2009, 16:43   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa
But my friend persisted and finally got the 3M underbody treatment done as a freebie.
Are you sure that the friend has got the 3M underbody treatment or some other dealership's own treatment ?

Last edited by mithun : 28th July 2009 at 16:45.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:05   #49
BHPian

Sorry for going slightly OT, but does any one have any experience with THE CAR CARE CLUB ? For about 2500 bucks (membership fee for a year), they claim to provide original teflon coating from Dupont plus interior cleaning plus other benefits like breakdown towing service etc.

Sounds like a good deal?
Old 28th July 2009, 17:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Racoon,

From your pics, the can does look genuine. Do they have any distributers in Bangalore?
That was reassuring. Waiting to try it out to see how it performs.

My doubt is, even if the box is genuine, it could be filled with spurious stuff. Most of these imported products don't even have a seal... which really sux! Anybody can fill a genuine empty container with spurious stuff. I always deface or damage containers, for these very reason... but I know many people dont.

Sorry, no idea about distributors in Bangy. Why don't you just call the helpline number seen in my pic and ask them?
Old 28th July 2009, 18:24   #51
Senior - BHPian

^^ looking at the tin i feel its genuine. i dont think the pune market is flooded with turte wax fakes. however its almost impossibe to make out the formula1 fakes. they sell in almost all shops.
motomax is a pidilite product, which i am using. costed me Rs.250 if i remember. however applying it and buffing it is not as easy as formula1.

please post the turtle wax review.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Fake!?!? On what grounds do you say that?

I don't see any sign that its fake... but then this is the 1st time I'v been able to find Turtle Wax in town, so don't have a tin to compare with.

The shop where I bought it from is as far as I know quite old... and possibly reputed. I don't think they will sell fake stuff. Can't be 100% sure though...

Posting the pics below. Even the importers sticker is there. The yellow sponge applicator with the turtle embossed can also be seen. The stuff inside is a green paste. Haven't been able to use it yet as its been raining here.
Any sign that its a fake?
@Racoon:
To me, the box in the pic looks genuine as I have seen a similar one at Walmart. Also, the sponge applicator provided seems to looks familiar and am assuming it to be genuine.

I had bought Turtle Platinum Wax (which is marginally expensivethan the regular Turtle Wax) which works pretty good for me. You might want to try that next time.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

Yes, never heard of Turtle wax fakes till now. F1 on the other hand must be the most conterfeited polish in the market. Victim of its success, I guess.

Motomax is so expensive? Or is the quantity more or something? Rs. 250 makes it more expensive than imported products like Turtle and F1. Haven't used it myself, but its said to be not as good as the imported stuff.

Btw, remember that F1 carnuba wax is a polish. Not recommended for frequent use.

My review will depend on rain and time. :( With the incesant drizzles, the surfaces are neither clean nor dry.

Quote:
@Racoon:
To me, the box in the pic looks genuine as I have seen a similar one at Walmart. Also, the sponge applicator provided seems to looks familiar and am assuming it to be genuine.

I had bought Turtle Platinum Wax (which is marginally expensivethan the regular Turtle Wax) which works pretty good for me. You might want to try that next time.
Thanks.

I asked both the places where I saw Turtle wax if they had any other product or if they can order the same. Both replied in the negative. :( Seems the carnuba wax tin is the only product they have in the market. Have you seen any other Turtle product in the Indian market?

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th July 2009 at 18:39.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you seen any other Turtle product in the Indian market?
I purchased mine in the US. I have not had the opportunity to check for any other Turtle products in the Indian market.
Old 28th July 2009, 21:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

Parm, thanks a lot for the answer.

Moreover, are all waxes supplied with sponge applicator and if not, can normal foam be used?

And what's the correct way to Wax the car?
Old 28th July 2009, 22:03   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, this paint protection thing is RUBBISH...little more than a revenue-generator gimmick for the service centers. Further, many of the protection materials simply aren't suited for the harsh Indian climate.

If you really want your car to look good, keep it clean and wax ever so often.
Amen to that. Will our folks ever learn?

Rgds,
Old 28th July 2009, 22:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

^^ the correct way of polishing is using a foam/soft sponge and applying the polish with circular motion/buffing.

after letting the polish dry in haze use a cotton waste(you can get a bag full for 20rs) and rub the polish. you get an awesome shine and finish.
immediately you see a clear coat over the car body.
Old 28th July 2009, 22:10   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Motomax is so expensive? Or is the quantity more or something? Rs. 250 makes it more expensive than imported products like Turtle and F1. Haven't used it myself, but its said to be not as good as the imported stuff.
You dont know expensive till you've tried Meguiar's. Not sure if we get Mothers in India which is also expensive.

The NXT Gen wax costs about 1700 per bottle/tin in India (double the US price, such is our luck). Nxt gen car was is about 800 for a 1 litre can of concentrate. Both are synthetic.

But once you've applied it on your car, it glows. You wont touch any other available in India thereafter. Owner to decide whether its worth it.

Turtle Wax has an 'equivalent' called Turtle Wax ICE. Difficult to get though.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
^^ the correct way of polishing is using a foam/soft sponge and applying the polish with circular motion/buffing.

after letting the polish dry in haze use a cotton waste(you can get a bag full for 20rs) and rub the polish. you get an awesome shine and finish.
immediately you see a clear coat over the car body.
Thanks Amit. Let me get hook of a good wax and then try the same.
Old 29th July 2009, 15:15   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, this paint protection thing is RUBBISH...little more than a revenue-generator gimmick for the service centers. Further, many of the protection materials simply aren't suited for the harsh Indian climate.

If you really want your car to look good, keep it clean and wax ever so often.
Exactly. Thats why I decided not to go for it & continue to rely on wax & a Pure Wax at that.

After reading further here & on the net, its all the more worrisome as some of the materials really turning out to be harmful to the paint in the long run. Am glad that I postponed any treatment on my Brand new Linea. Will see after a year

Most Viewed