Team-BHP - Product Review: Philips Crystal Vision Halogen headlamps
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Product Review: Philips Crystal Vision Halogen headlamps (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/6260-product-review-philips-crystal-vision-halogen-headlamps.html)

Product: Philips Crystal Vision Halogen headlamps
Specs: H4 CV 12V 60/55W
Price paid: Rs.750/-

Company Claims:
- Halogen headlamp range for performance upgrade
- UV block quartz glass used
- High color temperature output
- Directly interchangeable with originally equipped products
- 4300K stylish white light output enables driving with confidence
- Better reflections of road-markings and road-signs
- Provide total protection for headlamp reflector
- Complementary side light for total headlighting upgrade included in the package

My Comments:
I was looking for an upgrade to my existing headlight bulbs for some time now. After checking out www.powerbulbs.com it seemed that the Philips vision plus were the best bet. After seeing many Octavia’s with their headlight reflectors hazed over due to higher output bulbs, I was sure that I did not want 100/90W bulbs. So the Philips range of bulbs, which claimed 50% more light, seemed the ideal solution.

However, as I found out, its very hard to find original Philips bulbs in Mumbai, as all the shops I went to only sold some unheard of unbranded bulbs that would probably not last long and damage my headlamp reflector with its heat output. Luckily T-bhp's N_C had just got the number of a guy who imports Philips bulbs, so I got in touch with him. He recommended the Diamond or Crystal vision series, as they gave out even better light. But, they would only be available after a month.

So last weekend, I finally got my hands on a set of Crystal Vision’s, along with the free pilot lights that came in the package (nice!). The Diamond vision series has a blue output, and is claimed to have a bit more power, however I did not want a blue glow, so I chose the white light of the crystal’s.

Fitting them on was a 10-minute affair, and the difference in the output colour was immediately apparent, even in daylight (as you can see from the photo’s). The white pilot lights added to that clean, pure white look.

On trying them out in the night however, I was left a bit disappointed initially. The beam spread is the main problem, as it has a very focused pattern aimed at the centre and doesn’t spread very wide at all. That means the sides of the road are not well lit, atleast that’s how it appearing in the city with the surrounding street lights serving to difuse the light further. A dark road would really show the spread more accurately, but if you’re looking for a wide spread, these bulbs are not for you.

One thing I did notice was the way the white light really reflects off the street markings well. The white lines on the road stood out more prominently, and these lights seemed more effective when it was raining for some reason.

So, would I recommend them? Although they really improve the look of the car with the pure white output, I was really disappointed with the beam spread. Luckily the Skoda has really good fog lights that compensate for the crystalvision’s weak points. If you have the (slim) chance, try them out on your car first to see their spread as it may suit different vehicles.

Pros: High quality construction, free pilot lights a bonus, reasonable price in India (they cost US$40 abroad, so we are getting them for half price!!), good lighting of street markings/signs and good in adverse weather.

Cons: Very narrow and focused beam, does not light up the sides of the road. Doesn’t seem to have “30% more power” than the OE bulbs.

The packaging:
1) Front

2) Rear

3) Difference in bulbs. Old OE bulbs on right, new Crystal's on left with their pilot lights.

4) OE headlight colour.

5) CrystalVision headlight colour.

6) Difference in light between the two.

Rtech, fantastic review. I feel the light spread bit is subjective and probably one will get use to it. Difference is clear and check it for few days. If you find it right...I'll get a pair for OPTRA.
If not available in BLR...I know who're the people to ask :)

rt

a very well written review. described in detail. i am also planning to change the headlight assembly for my accent and may go in for these bulbs.

will get in touch with u for the details

shubbhi

Great review, the photo's are very telling

Question, any idea will i face the same problem in the baleno if i change to 100w bulbs, i.e the reflectors hazing over, as i am plaaning to switch to 100w bulbs

Rudra, I had enquired about H1's needed for the Optra, but they don't have any yet, and nothing planned for some time yet.

Maana, NC may know of a place closer to you for these bulbs, or else I could always pick them up and hand them over the next time we meet.

Revvhead, are the Baleno's headlamps plastic or glass? If they are plastic, then they would probably haze over with the higher power bulbs eventually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
Cons: Very narrow and focused beam, does not light up the sides of the road.

Nice birthday contribution, Rtech! I guess this is the online equivalent of giving out sweets...

I'm just wondering if the spread of the beam will differ from vehicle to vehicle, since the spread is decided by the reflector and not the bulb. It may be possible that this bulb gives a focussed beam on the Skoda, but those with other cars may have different experiences.

Rudra, Revv, Manaa please post your experiences...

I think they are plastic, but not too sure. raining now, so i aint checking!

OTOH, if they do glaze over, any idea how long it takes, coz that could be a great excuse to change the headlamps for something interesting after some time!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
Nice birthday contribution, Rtech! I guess this is the online equivalent of giving out sweets...

Lol..he's spreading 'light' on his b'day :p
Quote:

I'm just wondering if the spread of the beam will differ from vehicle to vehicle, since the spread is decided by the reflector and not the bulb.
I thought the same. I've seen the Skoda's spread of light & in comparison to the Honda, the Honda gives much better spread even with the 55/60W bulbs that I have.

Yes, the beam spread depends on the design of the lens. Hence I mentioned
Quote:

If you have the (slim) chance, try them out on your car first to see their spread as it may suit different vehicles.
However, the difference I am talking about is between my old bulbs and the new ones, which is quite noticeable. I suppose the lens design is such that it suits higher speed driving, where you need the longer spread in front of the car rather than a wider/shorter spread.

Another caution, go for white light in clear lens glass only. Old style glass causes more diffusion in white light. I got 100/90W in my indica earlier(white light) though reflection was better from road markings, the beam seemed diffused. The reason is that yellowish light scatters less. So for others, either use vision plus(Is not very blue) or go for 90/100W

Hey awesome review and comparison pics Rtech!

It might be a "shot in the dark" but try readjusting your headlights with the new bulbs in there.....
I didnt realise you had bought 55/60. About the hazing over with higher wattage bulbs, that also depends on the quality of bulbs you use, the bad quality ones (might even be expensive) someties produce more heat than a good quality bulb thats rated the same.
Ive had no probs with 90-100w on my car, but i will take a close look at the headlamp assembly and see if heat has affected it in any way.

Quote:

The Diamond vision series has a blue output, and is claimed to have a bit more power (5000K vs 4300K),
Correct me if i am wrong, but isnt that the Kelvin colour temperature and doesnt really correspond to power?

Very nicely executed review.
cya
R

Quote:

Correct me if i am wrong, but isnt that the Kelvin colour temperature and doesnt really correspond to power?
Sorry, I missed that. Right Rehaan, it's Kelvin temperature.
Quote:

The Diamond vision series has a blue output, and is claimed to have a bit more power (5000K vs 4300K),
This means it's almost close to bright day light. Daylight and photographic flash gun (5600k).

Correcto Rehaan! Thanks for pointing that out, correction made.

Quote:

It might be a "shot in the dark" but try readjusting your headlights with the new bulbs in there....
No help, as you really can't do much for beam spread.

However, I've posted this thread on briskoda, and apparently no one else has this problem. So I presume it suits their driving environments.

BTW, what bulbs are you using? Rallye?

just one question rtech, how old is your Octy? Which version is it (Rider, Ambiente, Elegance, etc...)? Did you change your existing lights have becuase they had aged?

do you feel the new philips bulb will offer a significant perfromance upgrade over the existing RS lights?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
However, I've posted this thread on briskoda, and apparently no one else has this problem. So I presume it suits their driving environments.

BTW, what bulbs are you using? Rallye?

Maybe just getting your left light pointing ouward a bit more might help?

I bought Mico 100/90 bulbs... along with a bosch mico relay. Seem pretty good to me...but cant really compare with other 100/90 as i havent tried any.

Quote:

do you feel the new philips bulb will offer a significant perfromance upgrade over the existing RS lights?
Arent the "existing RS lights" real HID xenons ??

cya
R