Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:50   #1
BHPian

Need Advice on installation of Lights on Roof/hood.

Need Advice on Installation of Lights on Hood/roof of the car

Please let me know is it legal to install Lights on the hood/roof of the car or any special permission is required from the respective RTO in regards to the same ,if so please let me know what is the procedure of the same.

I was not able to get specific information after searching on Indian Motor act 1988,

Thanks
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:43   #2
BHPian

I think it is illegal to install lights above the roof line of the car. But I have seen quite a few Scorpios/Safari's/Innova's driving around in Delhi NCR with such installations.

So not sure if traffic laws have been modified or on a lighter side, its just not the correct season for the traffic police to 'challan' for such offence.

Anyone on the forum who has installed such fog lights may please throw some light here.
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Anything above the level of the OEM headlights is illegal as far as I know. At least in Bangalore, you WILL get stopped sooner or later and fined by the RTO squads.

That's why very very few cars/SUVs sport such lights here!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam00 View Post
Need Advice on Installation of Lights on Hood/roof of the car

Please let me know is it legal to install Lights on the hood/roof of the car or any special permission is required from the respective RTO in regards to the same ,if so please let me know what is the procedure of the same.

I was not able to get specific information after searching on Indian Motor act 1988,

Thanks
as per Indian Motor Act you cannot fix/install any extra lights above the OEM light level.

the fog lamps are always fixed under the OEM lights and are to be used only in case of dense fog with main headlights switched off!

extra fitted fog lamps have to be covered when they are not in use.

otherwsie you can fit extra lights anywhere on your vehicle till the day you are not caught or fined!
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
as per Indian Motor Act you cannot fix/install any extra lights above the OEM light level.

the fog lamps are always fixed under the OEM lights and are to be used only in case of dense fog with main headlights switched off!

extra fitted fog lamps have to be covered when they are not in use.

otherwsie you can fit extra lights anywhere on your vehicle till the day you are not caught or fined!
Dear Parm,

Thanks for the information but i was going through Laws - Motor Vehicles Act, 1988

& I couldn't find any such listing,please help me in case you know where can i find this information or may be police &traffic person's are fining person's without any clause,but who will fight them in case of one challan

Thanks any way.
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Any light installed, which is above the top line of the originally installed HLs are illegal. But then it is a question of enforcement which is seldom done.

As Parm said, even when you install extra lights in guise of fog lamps, they have to be kept covered and have to be only used when such a situation arises and not otherwise.

But again, these are not followed, as we majorly lack civic sense. Having said that, I'm no saint. I post the picture of my steed:

Need Advice on installation of Lights on Roof/hood.-scorprooflights.jpg

I've got away saying that this vehicle is a limited edition and the lights came compnay fitted. To be honest, I don't use these lights in the city, as my other fellow TBHPians would vouch who have seen me driving in the night. I only drive with the bumper lights switched on and use the HLs only if required.

Last edited by gd1418 : 3rd August 2009 at 21:19.
Old 4th August 2009, 11:21   #7
BHPian

Thank you

GD Sir,

I got the trick of the Trade.

Thanks & Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Any light installed, which is above the top line of the originally installed HLs are illegal. But then it is a question of enforcement which is seldom done.

As Parm said, even when you install extra lights in guise of fog lamps, they have to be kept covered and have to be only used when such a situation arises and not otherwise.

But again, these are not followed, as we majorly lack civic sense. Having said that, I'm no saint. I post the picture of my steed:

Attachment 169310

I've got away saying that this vehicle is a limited edition and the lights came compnay fitted. To be honest, I don't use these lights in the city, as my other fellow TBHPians would vouch who have seen me driving in the night. I only drive with the bumper lights switched on and use the HLs only if required.
Old 4th August 2009, 11:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

the xenon comes with roof lights as a factory option - what about them ?

btw, you might want to have a look at
http://www.araiindia.com/Cpanel/Imag...%20AIS-008.pdf

Last edited by greenhorn : 4th August 2009 at 11:25.
Old 4th August 2009, 11:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the xenon comes with roof lights as a factory option - what about them ?
I don't think the roof lights are standard equipment - they are sold as accessories. Check out Memo's pics on his thread - he didn't have them initially.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:02   #10
BANNED

Remember if you mount lights high they will only serve to blind the oncoming vehicles. I have used fogs in the past and had mounted them on the bumper, or in the sheet metal at about teh same level. Putting fogs even lower ill be even better, but then the risk of breakage is vey high.
Old 4th August 2009, 13:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

I disagree. Roof lights if half-decently mounted blind much lesser than most headlights and provide much more usable light (from exp with a shoulder level spot beams on a bike)

Take the stupid design of the Santro Xing headlights. Illuminates crap and disperses most of it. Add in 90/100s and its by far the most blinding/irritating small car around. Way below waist level and singularly blinding.
Old 4th August 2009, 13:41   #12
BHPian

Yes, Santros have very bright light for oncoming traffic, i am always confused whether the other guy is driving on high beam or low beam.

Not sure about the rules, but some of my friends who have installed the lights on the roof always keep them covered and use them only in their off roading trips.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:40   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I disagree. Roof lights if half-decently mounted blind much lesser than most headlights and provide much more usable light (from exp with a shoulder level spot beams on a bike)
Well then the road transport regulations globally are totally off.

Quote:
Take the stupid design of the Santro Xing headlights. Illuminates crap and disperses most of it. Add in 90/100s and its by far the most blinding/irritating small car around. Way below waist level and singularly blinding.
Having owned a Santro for the past four years I beg to differ. The lights are pretty decent.

Also, 90/100 are ILLEGAL. So if you break the law in the first place then obviously whether they are blinding or not is secondary.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
Yes, Santros have very bright light for oncoming traffic, i am always confused whether the other guy is driving on high beam or low beam.
+1 to what both of you have mentioned. I owned a Santro for 5+ years and never thought about this. But now that I drive a S10, I know how 'blinding' Santro lights are. Almost impossible to figure out if it's low/hi-beam

Coming back to the topic, even I am thinking of putting in extra lights on my Gypsy -- would be useful.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

sg ji,

I am talking basic physics here. It does NOT depend on the altitude, but the direction of mounting matters as much, no? I am not talking regulations here, but common sense. I of course being a practical person cannot play rulebook rulebook here!

It's obvious as a santrowale you wouldn't agree. I'd just ONCE request you to do the following:
a. face up a Santro Xing (old one was better) with 90/100s. Its blinding. Not just me - the thread says so.
b. Fit the same lamps in a swift - the illumination is vastly better.

I'd love to hear your perspective after you're done with the above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks