Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 12:52   #1

Locking steering column

I have a doubt about the steering locks.

In Santro, with the standard car we can lock the steering wheel. Couple of times, it got locked in Petrol stations and I was not able to steer the car.

How different is that from the steering locks that we hear in these forums ?? Will that deter ( or delay) thief from stealing the car (if the steering is locked with the standard key) ??
Old 7th August 2009, 16:27   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopichinna View Post
In Santro, with the standard car we can lock the steering wheel. Couple of times, it got locked in Petrol stations and I was not able to steer the car.
You obviously don't mean while driving, do you? If it got locked, while stationary at the pump, that's how it is supposed to work. However, your Santro steering should never lock when the ignition key is in place.

Quote:
How different is that from the steering locks that we hear in these forums ?? Will that deter ( or delay) thief from stealing the car (if the steering is locked with the standard key) ??
The other type of steering lock that we refer to, is also known as the "grip lock" (don't ask me why). It is basically a long iron rod that locks the clutch / brake pedal at one end, and the steering at another.

Example:

Locking steering column-23.jpg
Old 7th August 2009, 16:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

I have always had a doubt about these locks.

They are made of hardened steel, but what about the steering wheel.
Old 7th August 2009, 16:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have always had a doubt about these locks.

They are made of hardened steel, but what about the steering wheel.
Ohh that can be taken care off if the blow is hard enough
Again that will shake up atleast some sensors which would make the autocop wake up the neighbourhood.
Old 8th August 2009, 17:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You obviously don't mean while driving, do you? If it got locked, while stationary at the pump, that's how it is supposed to work. However, your Santro steering should never lock when the ignition key is in place.
No, it didn't lock while driving. It got locked when I took the keys while I stopped the car. When I tried to start the car, I was not able to start the car and steer the car. Initially, I thought that it was a malfunction, as I was not aware of that functionality. Later, learnt that it was a kind of steering lock.
If even Santro has that, then all higher end should have them by default. Then why people in this forum want to buy a separate steering lock..
Old 10th August 2009, 15:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopichinna View Post
Then why people in this forum want to buy a separate steering lock..
1. All cars have it, so all car theives know how to break it.
2. The same key as the rest of the car. This becomes especially critical in UV's like the Bolero. Thieves steal the fuel door, use it to forge a key and gain access.
3. People like carrying an extra key with them.

Most Viewed