Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 22:40   #1
BHPian

Full Floor PVC Matting. Boon or bane?

very often i come across cars which are done up with full floor PVC matting over the OE carpet mats. the reasons given are umpteen
=> to keep the OE carpets clear of Mud, Dust and dirt
=> easier to clean and washable unlike the OE carpets
=> is water proof and doesnt let water reach the floor of the car
=> a worthwhile investment of rs. 800-1800 when you buy a car costing a few lakhs

now what are these PVC mats and how do they differ from the rubber Mats/ Vinyl mats

Rubber / Vinyl mats normally are cut to size, the size of the 4 footwells and sometimes come in 5 pieces to cover the transmission tunnel. they can be removed from the car, washed, and the carpet beneath vacummed and dusted.

PVC matting on the other hand is like wall to wall carpeting. sheets of PVC are cut and glued together so as to match the contours on the floor. the ends are tucked into the side wall beadings / plastic beadings so that no dirt / dust / water can escape into the carpet beneath. while this can definitely be a boon for fleet operators and taxis where people wouldnt care less as to whether their feet are devoid of dirt, grime or slush, when fitted in cars like ANHC, Civic, innova, Linea they can actually spoil the entire ambience in the car

PVC matting is available in 4 types - ribbed black, grey, beige and transparent.

now the negatives:

1. since these are not as malleable as the carpets very often they leave an uneven finish unlike the carpet which looks as though its hugging the entire floor
2. the glued up parts always look clumsy and are prone to open up exposing the carpet below and very often becomming an opening thru which sand and water can enter and reach the carpet
3. in the event of a leakage of water from under the car into the footwell / AC condensor drain or any of the door beadings, the carpet could get wet and the felt underneath gets soggy and you would never know that this has happend
4. as a result of 3, the floor boards would rust, as also fungus and mildew forms on the felt and beneath the carpet leading to an unhealthy environment in the car
5. they give a cheap looking finish to an otherwise elegant looking car
6. fitment of the PVC matting requires removing and refitting of all the seats, the central console sorrounding the gear lever, making the car a rattle snake

so what do you Tbhpians say about this ? suggestions, bouqets, brickbats welcome. on account of heavy rains i am not able to click pictures. so even pics welcome

Note: i searched the entire forum with the key words Matting, floor Matting, PVC Floor matting to check if any such threads exist. got no results. hence started this topic. if this topic exists somewhere please delete this one!
Sunilrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2009, 09:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

My friend owns a car accessory shop here in trivandrum and my favourite passtime every weekend is to go and sit at his shop and watch some WIP, i have seen cars getting the PVC flooring upteen times and my answers to your questions are in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post

1. since these are not as malleable as the carpets very often they leave an uneven finish unlike the carpet which looks as though its hugging the entire floor

This usually happens due to lack of experience, the guy who does it here in trivandrum is a freelancer and has a lot of experience. I like his fit and finish, he dosen't take a lot of time matching contors and you cannot make out the spots which are glued.

2. the glued up parts always look clumsy and are prone to open up exposing the carpet below and very often becomming an opening thru which sand and water can enter and reach the carpet

This also depends upon the installers experience, take any accessory for that matter is not installed properly can have its down sides

3. in the event of a leakage of water from under the car into the footwell / AC condensor drain or any of the door beadings, the carpet could get wet and the felt underneath gets soggy and you would never know that this has happend

Even if you do not have a PVC flooring, there is hardly anything you can do in such a situation. The only benifit if you have PVC flooring is, the cabin will be neat and tidy even if the carpet underneath is soacked.

4. as a result of 3, the floor boards would rust, as also fungus and mildew forms on the felt and beneath the carpet leading to an unhealthy environment in the car

The floorboard would rust even if you don't have a PVC flooring and have a normal carpet, in case if you have PVC flooring you can be rest assured that you do not have to worry about accidental spils inside the cabin.

5. they give a cheap looking finish to an otherwise elegant looking car

I am planning to get this done in my lancer, looks elegant IMHO, you have different colors and textures available which makes it look good, best part is you will not have a stained carpet. Reduces the dry-cleaning cost which was regularly incurred once in every 2-3 months. This is a blessing specially in kerala.

6. fitment of the PVC matting requires removing and refitting of all the seats, the central console sorrounding the gear lever, making the car a rattle snake

Very true, but if you ensure that the fittings are intact and everything is tight, i guess rattels can be avoided. But as far as my understanding goes rattels happen when loose plastic/metal parts hit against each other, if there is a PVC coating between the two shouldn't this prevent rattles?
My .2$

Last edited by pramodkumar : 30th July 2009 at 09:22.
Old 30th July 2009, 09:32   #3
BHPian

I have never seen these PVC mats fitted so don't know much about them however after reading about them I have some doubt. Since these are glued, they cannot be removed for occasional cleaning. I use rubber mats and if the carpet below gets wet, I just remove the rubber mats, park the car in open with doors open for sometime to let the floor dry quickly. In case of PVC I think it will take longer for the matting to get dry and cause rusting, fungus, moulds etc.
Old 30th July 2009, 09:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is called "Carpet Lamination" here. I too think what will happen if the underlying carpet gets wet and we don't notice it. If we have simple mats, this will be noticed when they are removed for cleaning, and remedial action can be taken.

On the positive side, it is very easy to clean. Just a wipe with a moist cloth is enough.

Last edited by Gansan : 30th July 2009 at 09:35.
Old 30th July 2009, 09:46   #5
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Have seen this before and totally hated it. Yes, it does make sense in terms of the taxi operators but I personally prefer to have a good set of rubber mats over the carpet. The laminated carpet spoils the look of the interiors.

In my case, the rubber mats are removed each weekend and the entire interior of the car vaccumed along with the floor carpet. Makes for a much cleaner and fresher cabin.
Old 30th July 2009, 09:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
In case of PVC I think it will take longer for the matting to get dry and cause rusting, fungus, moulds etc.
It is like gansan rightly mentioned a lamination, even if the carpet is wet, there is hardly anyone who will remove all the seats and console box to take out the carpet to dry it. even if you dry it with all the doors open in the sun the chances are moulds and fungus may still grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I too think what will happen if the underlying carpet gets wet and we don't notice it.
The underlying carpet can only get wet from below. This lamination not only prevents spills from above its also very easy to clean. i think there are negetives to everything.
Old 30th July 2009, 12:24   #7
knp
BHPian

This is an interesting tiopic. Do we know from where we can get this done in Bangalore? any pointers please!
Old 30th July 2009, 12:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
even if the carpet is wet, there is hardly anyone who will remove all the seats and console box to take out the carpet to dry it.
Not necessary. I think it can be dried by blowing air from a Vacuum cleaner/hair dryer.
Old 30th July 2009, 12:32   #9
BHPian

yes as Gansan said if the carpets or the felt pads below them are wet all that is required to be done is use heat drying or a car dehumidifier to dry it. if you dont have even the slightest clue that the carpets are wet, then you will know only when the floor board rots and falls off
Old 30th July 2009, 12:39   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
yes as Gansan said if the carpets or the felt pads below them are wet all that is required to be done is use heat drying or a car dehumidifier to dry it. if you dont have even the slightest clue that the carpets are wet, then you will know only when the floor board rots and falls off
Normally the carpet does not get wet from underneath unless your bottom is rusted. Most of the water enters due to opening the door during heavy rain to enter/exit, from shoes and umbrellas. Dirt is mostly from shoes. The lamination will take care of this.

I searched "Carpet Lamination" on the forum and came up with this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...o-spice-4.html
I had heard of it but never bothered, thinking it was some coating for carpets. I was amused to know that it was done in Goa. I'm going to get the same done in my Swift. It's really difficult to keep the carpet clean during the monsoons. I guess it can be removed after the monsoons and refitted next year.

Last edited by Live To Jive : 30th July 2009 at 12:43.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:36   #11
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
This is an interesting tiopic. Do we know from where we can get this done in Bangalore? any pointers please!
In Bangalore, you can get this done in a few shops on JC Road. Have noticed a few shops just opposite the multi level car park that do this.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:31   #12
BANNED

Used to come in the Amby & FIAT in the sixties and seventies. Hated it no end. I will go for fitted PVC mats on the original carpet or whatever any day.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:35   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
In Bangalore, you can get this done in a few shops on JC Road. Have noticed a few shops just opposite the multi level car park that do this.
Why not try DIY? I think this is a simple project. All you have to do is remove the seats and plastic trims, lay the plastic sheet, cut holes for the handbrake, gear and bolts. Some staples, clips & tape to keep it in place. I don't think the cost will come to more than Rs.500/- This would be an interesting Sunday DIY project. I'm seriously thinking about it. I will need to borrow some tools for the job.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Why not try DIY? I think this is a simple project. All you have to do is remove the seats and plastic trims, lay the plastic sheet, cut holes for the handbrake, gear and bolts. Some staples, clips & tape to keep it in place. I don't think the cost will come to more than Rs.500/- This would be an interesting Sunday DIY project. I'm seriously thinking about it. I will need to borrow some tools for the job.
Live to Jive! hope after the DIY project, i am paid some royalty by you for the idea and the topic . on a serious note its not easy as it seems. the edges need to be tucked in properly and firmly. i have seen the installers here struggle for 2 to 2 1/2 hours to fit the floor matting in a car like NHC
Old 30th July 2009, 15:49   #15
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Why not try DIY? I think this is a simple project.
You will have to have a hot air gun for this to happen and the grade of plastic is such that once you blow hot air over the plastic it sort of melts and takes the form/contours of the carpet.

I've heard of mobile phone laminations and this is akin to that. If you want to DIY, then I suppose you'll have to have the hot air gun with you.

Most Viewed