Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 14:29   #1
Team-BHP Support

Impact driver - Anybody used this tool?

while shopping at Kashmere gate yesterday, I saw a tool lying at some shops. the packing said :
"Impact driver" and it described the purpose of the tool is to remove stuck nuts and bolts or screws.
Some googling revealed that its actually the battery operated version of the hydraulic took at tire shops which vibrates and enables you to remove jammed lug nuts etc.,
My question is that has anybody used this tool? Is it effective.
I have had a bad experience with stuck wheel nuts. So its better to use such tools, or just spray WD40 on the nuts and hope for the best?
Old 18th August 2009, 14:59   #2
BHPian

Hi,

I have used impact divers before, excellent for screwing into timber without predrilling, they literally punch the screw while turning and do it quickly, pointless for diy unless you have a home with lots of timber in it construction, for use as a mechanical tool, i would be careful, better of with a torque wrench, overtightening can cause problems.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

A very useful tool. Unfortunately I have not come across a 12v impact wrench that has enough torque to loosen a stuck wheel bolt.
By the way, most workshops/tyre shops use the pneumatic wrench and not hydraulic.

Last edited by jyobeb : 18th August 2009 at 15:21.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Excellent tool while working on older vehicles, but careful overdoing it will screw up the head and make it a mess, so take it easy while you are getting used to. Both while loosening and while tightening.

Final tightening always use a torque wrench.
Old 18th August 2009, 16:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

I was actually looking for something which can looses jammed wheel lug nuts. I was once stuck on the highway for more than an hour as the wheel nut would not turn. Finally a ring spanner had to be used with 2 people standing on it to loosen the nut!
Old 18th August 2009, 16:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I was actually looking for something which can looses jammed wheel lug nuts. I was once stuck on the highway for more than an hour as the wheel nut would not turn. Finally a ring spanner had to be used with 2 people standing on it to loosen the nut!
Today I went for wheel rotation , balancing and alignment and saw a nice jugad on the handle of a normal spanner they have put a GI pipe ( used in plumbing) as sleeve effectively elongating the handle and easily opening the nuts.
So instead of spending a lot of money on buying spanners etc carry a 3 - 4 feet long GI pipe in your boot may help you in other tasks at times as well.

the metal wheel cap of my alloy wheel was stuck to the drum of one of the rear wheel as if it got welded after repeated attempts with screwdrivers / light hammer / knife it did not came out. The only solution which seemed possible was to hammer and break it. So was left as it is and the wheel was replaced.leaving same hubcap in place.
Hope it will not cause major issue later on ? Are the hubcaps available as spares ? I have Plati alloys.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

What you say will work if nut is new and overtightened. but if the nut is smoothened due to wrong use of tools, the spanner will slip over the nuts, making such things useless.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Keep some wd40 in the car, should do the trick.
Old 18th August 2009, 18:51   #9
Team-BHP Support

For wheel nuts best thing is nice RING or BOX spanner with a long leverage. Impacter might not really work.

Best deal is to put some good quality grease and then run the nut up and down few times to clean up all the rust. Wipe the bolt and nut clean, and then smear mildly some white grease and tighten to proper torque. Also smear some grease on the sides of the hubs where the rims touch each other. Dont smear too much but a thin coat. Carry some WD40 in the boot.

Also might be a good idea to remove all wheel nuts and tighten to right specs before you leave for long trips, especially if you have given the car for service, just to rule out the workshops overdoing the tightening.
Old 19th August 2009, 16:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

WD40 is the ticket for rusted/stuck screws and nuts. Some of the stubborn ones even need to be soaked in WD40 overnight. Difficult to do if the nut is not easily accessible, but a spray every now and then should help loosen even the notorious ones. However, if the edges of the nut are gone, then you will have to resort to invasive methods - Creating a groove with a chisel and then hitting etc.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:54   #11
Team-BHP Support

I checked various auto parts shops as well as generic hardware shops in Noida. Most of them do not know whats WD40, and those who do do not stock it.
Any idea where can I get it in Noida
Old 19th August 2009, 18:47   #12
BHPian

That's shocking Wd40 should be available at most hardware stores, have seen in everywhere in Goa, Mumbai and Pune, there is an alternative brand which you should find easily, just can't remember the name of it though, anyone know?
Old 20th August 2009, 11:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I checked various auto parts shops as well as generic hardware shops in Noida. Most of them do not know whats WD40, and those who do do not stock it.
Any idea where can I get it in Noida
Ask for Zorrik 88. Most mechanics use this in lieu of WD40. Both work the same!
Old 20th August 2009, 12:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Thianks Ankit, I will ask for the same! Will try sec 16 noida, as well as some other hardware shops.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

WD40 or Zorrix 66, is a must have on long rides. Can do wonders for tight nuts and squeaking joints.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks