Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 14:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rajesh,

Neat Ride and good to know you till are in contact with your 1st TATA. These 1st ones were notorious for damaging the inner tyre wear very quickly. Did you ever face that issue?

The AC is a very neat touch. It just needs some cladding on the the roof side to coverup the wires. Probably some wire mesh under the 'turbine' blades to avoid any freak mishap. just my thought.

PS (OT) - Onam is coming up eh? guess who met you last Onam season from blore Ah! memories and memoirs of Kerala...
Old 26th August 2009, 19:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

@santosh:

> Neat Ride and good to know you till are in contact with your 1st TATA. These 1st ones were notorious for damaging the inner tyre wear very quickly.
> Did you ever face that issue?

Thanks.

In fact this is the only car that I can and have kept touch after selling it.

Both this Sumo and the Safari that I had the tyre wear problem, but with all the issues, I still could eke out 40000+ kms from the front tyres and approximately 50000kms from the rear ones. Incidentally both of them were among the initial variants. But none of my Tata vehicles have left me stranded on the road.

> The AC is a very neat touch. It just needs some cladding on the the roof side to coverup the wires. Probably some wire mesh under the 'turbine' blades > to avoid any freak mishap. just my thought.

Thanks. But it is not an AC, it is a blower for the rear seats. The turbine has survived without mishap and without a wire mesh for 13 years now. The reason not to put one was that it would impede air flow.

> PS (OT) - Onam is coming up eh? guess who met you last Onam season from blore Ah! memories and memoirs of Kerala...

Time flies! Onam is September 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It's often the simple ideas that have the big impact.
Very true. You start thinking especially if there is nobody else to think for you. For the thinking process being in a small place with hardly any help around does help.

So I also jump in and try to help when somebody requests for something as I immediately think of myself in similar sitaution from the late 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Rajesh, dont you find the engine lacking in power ? Esp if using the a/c ? I am finding even my 90bhp / 190Nm less, esp when I switch the a/c on.
That again would be subjective as it depends on the roads you frequent. That car (with me from 1996 to 1999, with my friend afterwards) has seen only the 2 lane highways of Kerala and Tamilnadu. Nowadays it does get a small taste of the 4 lane ones in South Tamilnadu.

This one does not have the power steering and I am generally a below 80kph person and nowadays stick to below 70kph inside Kerala as 70kph is the official speed limit for highways in Kerala for cars.

I felt the power adequate. My friend does Kollam Alleppey in very good times even at this age of the vehicle.

My fastest timing from Aroor toll gate to my house in Alleppey town was done in a vehicle with the same engine (but without AC), a Tatamobile 206.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by trrk : 26th August 2009 at 19:36.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
trrk : My friend does Kollam Alleppey in very good times even at this age of the vehicle.

My fastest timing from Aroor toll gate to my house in Alleppey town was done in a vehicle with the same engine (but without AC), a Tatamobile 206.
It's a goood work-horse, and with a little care, will keep going for ever.

Pls dont get me started about the 206. That's one baby I would love to have, though with the TCIC engine atleast. Imagine my dream car being produced in India, and not available for us in India !

Most Viewed