Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 12:26   #76
rippergeo

@yzfrj- thanks. Sounds even better with the rear windows down

1.Pic of the boost gauge showing peak boost and egt attained this morning. Boost was dialled down yesterday just to see what would happen. driveability remains the same, but full throttle shows a little difference(I think) Not sure.
will push it back up again to 23 and compare again if there is any difference in performance.

2.Pic of the engine bay. Only difference visible immediately is the conical air filter. It is much larger and heavier than the green wind. That led to the clamping point breaking off twice on rough roads. No damage done, just needed better fastening. Solved now. running without trouble over the last 2k kms

3.Pic showing how short on space the engine bay is. The CAI pipe had to be deformed a little and squeezed into the available gap. Purists may say that it will disturb flow, but this is the best we could manage, and the cold air made a big difference in the amount of smoke produced and a noticeable increase in acceleration. irrespective of the narrowing.

The new stock clutch has done 1000kms today and is still holding on
Attached Thumbnails
The MAD Swift VDi-28082009571.jpg  

The MAD Swift VDi-28082009572.jpg  

The MAD Swift VDi-28082009573.jpg  

Old 28th August 2009, 14:01   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I agree the swift handles much better, but IMO that car hardly accelerates into corners to begin with. Atleast that is my take from driving the Getz & Swift to Nandi Hills almost every weekend. I remember someone shooting a video of our Nandi Hill climb in the Getz. Lot of people will be surprised with the speeds that car could do around corners. Let me find out who has the video and upload it. I also have a comparo video in my swift.

Well if your corner approach speeds are anywhere over 90 kmph then well done. We did the same when I was riding shotgun with Amey in his Getz at Lavasa in Pune. Would love to hear the detailed written description on how to drive the Getz diesel around corners. We had 195 section Michelin PP2 tyres on 15" rims with 50 / 60 side profile (don't exactly remember the side profile) and we still couldn't manage to keep her down with different styles of driving. The steering feels dead, the car tracks straight, no matter how much steering input is given, the suspension is soft, there could have been body roll only if the car atleast moves into the corner.
Sorry for going off topic.
Old 28th August 2009, 14:59   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The steering feels dead, the car tracks straight, no matter how much steering input is given, the suspension is soft, there could have been body roll only if the car atleast moves into the corner.
If you want to take corners fast giving just steering input is not enough, but right gearing and acceleration is also needed.

Infact even elantra will loose its rear in corners if you dont use this technique.
Old 28th August 2009, 15:30   #79
BHPian

@rippergeo

Quote:
The CAI pipe had to be deformed a little and squeezed into the available gap
It seems from the pic like its hitting the wall.
From there where does the pipe (intake I mean) go ?

Does it take an "L" and go down or does it take a "U" turn and go to the front of the car ? Can't really make out.

Quote:
Boost was dialled down yesterday
Are't you tempted to hit the theoretical max of 125bhp
Wanna do it like an "Onam Bumper Lottery" ?

How its actually done ? upload/download new software or punching a few number in the lappy hooked up to the car ?

Is it possible on the fly ?
Sorry if I sound too stupid, maybe I'm watching too many movies.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:07   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Well if your corner approach speeds are anywhere over 90 kmph then well done........
Kiran, I am putting up a video of the Nandi hill climb in my swift I shot around a year back. IIRC, the top speed I managed to hit was ~103kmph. Recently, when I drove the Getz up the climb, I remember easily hitting 120kmph. However, rather than arguing I shall let the videos do the talking. The swift did the climb in 6:53 secs, now to get hold of the Getz video from whoever has it. So how much time do you think the Getz would do the same climb in?

Old 28th August 2009, 20:06   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
If you want to take corners fast giving just steering input is not enough, but right gearing and acceleration is also needed.

Infact even elantra will loose its rear in corners if you dont use this technique.
No I guess misunderstood MF here. THe Getz wasnt stepping out on corners.

@ Doc,
There is proof now that the Storm can be fitted, from what I see in the pics the silicon hose adapter is shorter than the Wind. Time to order one, have been asking Peter whether we can fit, he kept saying no till date. Now he can't do that

Last edited by Amey : 28th August 2009 at 20:09.
Old 28th August 2009, 20:30   #82
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
@ Doc,
There is proof now that the Storm can be fitted, from what I see in the pics the silicon hose adapter is shorter than the Wind. Time to order one, have been asking Peter whether we can fit, he kept saying no till date. Now he can't do that
that's what he thought. till i got them to squeeze this one in.

But I'm not sure it'll do you much good.
On the stock map+tuning box- the green storm seemed to spoil my low end. but drastically improved top end, which is why I left it like that for ACI's 0-100 timing run, it would not have been ideal if it was an in gear timing test. later, after the remap, the loss of low end/driveability issues with the Green storm,went away.

The car was still smoking a lot, so as a last ditch effort, squeezed the pipe in. that made a huge difference to the smoke levels. EGTs also came down by around 40 during day to day driving. So I know the CAI works.

with the current map, the car smokes above 2700rpm when the accelerator is fully depressed all the way from the word go. not as heavily as the initial maps. if the accelerator is depressed gradually all the way to the floor, there is no noticeable smoke in the RVMs even upto 4500rpm.

A new map arrived today. will get it installed tomorrow if possible and see if the smoke is better.

@yzfrj-
it takes an L turn and goes downwards to somewhere slightly above and behind the gearbox.

No,I'm not tempted to try and hit the theoretical max.I'm not suicidal. The boost will stay at 23psi, but fuelling will be readjusted.

Its not possible on the fly. Laptop needs to be connected and the new maps need to be loaded onto the ECU

Old 29th August 2009, 13:07   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
that's what he thought. till i got them to squeeze this one in.

Its not possible on the fly. Laptop needs to be connected and the new maps need to be loaded onto the ECU
Hey Rippergeo, congrats on being a proud owner of an awesome modded car. I saw the video shot by Peter on Youtube & now when i went through the threads got to know it was yours.

I would like to know, if you know the reasons for why Stock Turbo went bust(though you found out earlier than it really went bust)?

Also how much did the new Turbo cost you?
Old 29th August 2009, 17:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

The stock turbo went bust because they filled too much oil in the engine. I believe it takes 2.9L and they filled 3.2 or 3.4. This put too much stress on the oil seals in the turbo and they gave way, pretty much killing the boost.
Old 30th August 2009, 05:03   #85
Senior - BHPian

congrats ripper ji, would love to see your car!
Old 30th August 2009, 08:23   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
This package makes sense for people who can find a cheap 2nd hand Swift VDi with ABS and a busted stock turbo. That will make a complete VFM car.
Voila, maybe i should start hunting for one in Chennai. Would aooreciate if you could throw in some dyno figures. It would help us learn the differences in the awesome mods done sir!
Old 1st September 2009, 14:49   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The stock turbo went bust because they filled too much oil in the engine. I believe it takes 2.9L and they filled 3.2 or 3.4. This put too much stress on the oil seals in the turbo and they gave way, pretty much killing the boost.
Thanks ImmortalZ, Oil volume should be between 2.9 to 3.1 L. Does anyone the FGT Swift Diesel Turbocharger price?
Old 1st September 2009, 21:21   #88
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
congrats ripper ji, would love to see your car!
thanks! have not seen you in a while. how will you see the car if you never turn up for the meets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Voila, maybe i should start hunting for one in Chennai. Would aooreciate if you could throw in some dyno figures. It would help us learn the differences in the awesome mods done sir!
No dynos in cochin yet. I'm really not concerned about what it shows on the dyno. I found out today that it holds up well against a 1.6rocam with headers both from a standstill and with rolling starts. It also does well when compared to a verna or a tuning box equipped endy,So I'm very satisfied. The remap I'm using now is the 4th version and also the least aggressive, in order to keep the smoke levels down.

I believe that we have done pretty much everything we could while staying on stock internals.
Right now, car is running 22psi of peak boost and there is no smoke in the RVMs, pulls much harder than a pete's tuning box, while being more refined and driveable. the results have been far beyond what I had expected.
The mileage hovers around 15kmpl and the latest map is relatively more frugal than the last 3.

will probably go back to a more agressive map after I get the injectors cleaned. I'm told, that is usually a major cause for smoke.The 1st remap that I tied from "Diesel Inside" was the most powerful, but it was powerful enough to make bikers tailgating me stop and cough and choke when I floored it

The other swift that was worked on last week showed good results after the injector cleaning. I'm loath to try it because I know how delicate the injectors are and dont want to disturb anything when the car is running so beautifully. but the lure of a few more bhp is very tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
. Does anyone the FGT Swift Diesel Turbocharger price?
A brand new OE turbo for the swift costs 15000 rupees. pretty cheap compared to most other TCs on the market.

Old 1st September 2009, 21:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No dynos in cochin yet. I'm really not concerned about what it shows on the dyno.

Quote:
The remap I'm using now is the 4th version and also the least aggressive, in order to keep the smoke levels down.
I'm sure you got the power torque curve that the remap offers. Can you put it up here. It would educate us.

Quote:
will probably go back to a more agressive map after I get the injectors cleaned. I'm told, that is usually a major cause for smoke.The 1st remap that I tied from "Diesel Inside" was the most powerful, but it was powerful enough to make bikers tailgating me stop and cough and choke when I floored it

Quote:
The other swift that was worked on last week showed good results after the injector cleaning. I'm loath to try it because I know how delicate the injectors are and dont want to disturb anything when the car is running so beautifully. but the lure of a few more bhp is very tempting.
My 2 paise:

Its not worth cleaning your injectors unless you've used diesel from different petrol stations each time. Injectors are very high precision and there are a few who could clean them properly!

A simple test: Does your engine hunt when you come to a full stop after driving for say an hour or two? If it does hunt, then injectors may need cleaning, else, dont waste your money!

Happy Swifting
Old 1st September 2009, 21:50   #90
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

I'm sure you got the power torque curve that the remap offers. Can you put it up here. It would educate us.

My 2 paise:

Its not worth cleaning your injectors unless you've used diesel from different petrol stations each time. Injectors are very high precision and there are a few who could clean them properly!

A simple test: Does your engine hunt when you come to a full stop after driving for say an hour or two? If it does hunt, then injectors may need cleaning, else, dont waste your money!

Happy Swifting

Thanks.
Normally, with peter's remaps- we have the dynao charts of cars that have been remapped abroad to see and compare. In my case, The remaps I'm using have not been done on any other swift before, so dont know if there'd be any power/torque curves available. I will try and get them

I get what you're saying about the injectors. I have filled from the same pump for 2 years. its almost an obsession, can count on my fingers the number of times I've had to use an unfamiliar pump.
I'm not sure what you mean by "hunt"
If you mean - a delay in actually switching off after I turn the key to off, yes that does happen after hard drives. the car seemed to be unwilling to switch off. there's a gap of maybe half a second between the key going to complete off and the engine going to a complete off. doesnt happen always.

As you can see- I'm just looking for an excuse to get those injectors cleaned. its only around 1200 bucks and thats from the best place possible in cochin(called Diesel Kerala) they do all the injector and fuel pump work for most dealers of maruti/hyundai/skoda and others.heard a lot of good things about their common rail expertise. and saw what a difference it made on the other remapped swift.

EDIT- there is a dyno coming- dont know when, but once its there- I'm hoping the death defying test runs to explore the limits of the mods can be stopped. there are really no roads aound cochin to test safely anymore.

Last edited by rippergeo : 1st September 2009 at 21:52.

Most Viewed