Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 11:20   #1
rippergeo

The MAD Swift VDi

Story starts sometime in january this year(2009)

I had been running the Pete's box for 25k kilometers.
Peter calls me one saturday evening asking me if I want to try a catback exhaust from Supersprint Italy. Custombuilt for the Swift Diesel. Needless to say, i jumped at the chance, but had to wait an agonizing 24hrs(sunday)
The CatBack
I handed the car in at Pete's bright and early on monday morning on my way to work, and rushed back during lunch break to see the work being done. I was disappointed. they had finshed the work, done testing and even cleaned the car's exterior in a few hours time.

The Car sounded nice. Not loud, almost stock in volume,except for a new bassy note that was more pronounced when the car was accelerating in gear.
car revved beautifully and i was redlining it in 4th to around 160kmph.
The driveability which was brilliant anyway with the pete's box got even better.

The Turbo
The stock turbo from KKK in the swift failed. the oil seals gave and performance dropped.
Peter to the rescue again.
A hybrid turbo from Turbodynamics UK was dropped in. Again, a bolt on fit.Again, the work done in a 2-3 hrs.
I ran in the turbo with a friend sitting in the co driver's seat slapping my wrists everytime i showed any tendency to go over the limit.
I had to run it in for 50kilometers. upto 5 psi boost for the 1st 25kms and 10 psi for the 2nd 25kms, and then I'd be free. i exploited my long lunch break to the max and got the running in done that afternoon itself. The boost gauge was showing a nice, steady 18psi by the time I got back to work

The turbo is brilliant.
spools earlier. Gives 10psi at 1500rpm in 5th even if you skip shift from 3rd gear directly to 5th. it also seems to give a higher volume of air, because the mild smoke that used to be present with all diesels due to unburnt fuel went away after the turbo upgrade

The turbo is now running in my car giving a boost of 23psi
One of these days, i'll blow the engine. but what fun!

The Fuelling

Now that the intake and exhaust were upgraded, Fuelling had to be sorted out. I had to temporarily run on the tuning box at higher setting while I waited for the new software maps to arrive.

The Remap
Still testing these. Its easy- plug in Peter's laptop- chose the appropriate file and voila-5 minutes later, "Here's your extra BHPEEEEE!"
Started with a remap from custom code that claimed a 100bhp. Sure felt like it. Was smooth, driveable and powerful, even for me, who's used to driving around with the tuning box at the 90bhp setting.

Currently trialling Remaps from Diesel inside
The max that can be squeezed out of this car is around 125bhp. Beyond that, we'll wreck the engine. at the moment, we're around that number somewhere. No numbers available for torque yet.

Remaps are a completely different game when compared to the tuning boxes. if you think the tuning boxes are magic, you'll have no words for the remaps. the engine becomes silent, more free revving and eager. the driveability goes up by leaps and bounds.
To give you an idea of how much torque is available low down- I now upshift at 1400rpm in most gears and am still faster than commuter traffic. It is now purely a point and shoot game.

downside- My clutch had been abused for 35000kms. It waved the white flag and surrendered as soon as it got hints of the massively increased torque from the remap.

The Bilsteins
This was a long standing dream for me. I had been waiting for the 1st set to arrive in india for the last 1 year. got them 2 weeks ago. Bilstein B6 with 1 lakh kilometer warranty.
It comes as a full set of Dampers and springs. Bolt on fit.
It is probably the best ride/handling balance I have ever experienced.
It is not an out and out performance suspension like the H&R coilovers that I have trialled before. and I am thankful for that.
A fully performance oriented suspension like that would take you to the dentist and chiropractor frequently. The bilsteins are perfect.
No inside wheel lift and spin while cornering hard, no darting from side to side while accelerating on rough roads. No long drwan out wheelspins on launching hard. I'm able to put down a substantial bit of that torque now.

It rides like stock below 40kmph. maybe slightly worse, but not enough to be noticeable to my wife who sits in the back seat.

The Custom Downpipe/Turboback/catalytic converter removal
In our quest to improve the flow through the engine, the section containing the catcon was replaced with a custom built down pipe. The imported option from street toys was waaay too expensive for just a foot long curved pipe.
It does make a difference.The low end got better, the turbo spooled up better
car revs easily.

The Tarox G88 rotors
A must have mod for people who like to live longer. if the car cant stop, it wont go. Feel is better. braking distances come down by a huge amount.
Suicidal not to have these even after the most basic remap.

Tyres
I'm using 205/55/R15 Yoko S drives.
The jury is still out on whether these tyes are safe above 120kmph. but below, that speed, these tyres are brilliant. and they are amazing in the wet.
i'm also undecided on whether these tyres are overkill for my car. i have a feeling 195/60/R15 would do just as good on braking and cornering without sapping my straightline acceleration.

The airfilter.
After a lot of trying, we managed to shoe horn a Green "Storm" and its CAI pipe into the engine bay. This mod is crucial. Without it, the car just wastes the richer fuelling due to shortage of air.

Engine oil
OWS turboracing
Fuel line cleaner- OWS360

It has been a long and mostly pleasant journey. And I really cant imagine driving anything else, even though there are cars that are faster.
There's been blood sweat and tears(ok-maybe not the blood).
That just makes it all the more precious.

PS- As I type this, I've been informed that the next swift has gone in to Pete's performance for a similar package. Damn! Competition!
Attached Thumbnails
The MAD Swift VDi-10082009488.jpg  

The MAD Swift VDi-10082009489.jpg  

The MAD Swift VDi-10082009490.jpg  

The MAD Swift VDi-12072009422.jpg  

The MAD Swift VDi-13082009503.jpg  

The MAD Swift VDi-28072009461.jpg  

(3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2009, 11:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Envy Envy Envy, Ripper, i guess this swift gets the title of the fastest swift Diesel in india !

Catback, Biggerturbo, Remap, Tarox, Suspension, boy o boy are you on a roll or what.

Update this thread with acceleration timings too, a getz crdi beater seem like.

PS: The fat end can looks like a million bucks \m/
Old 25th August 2009, 11:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ripper. Is that a branded endcan ?

Mind sharing the costs ? Esp the Bilstens and the Tarox.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh !! Finally the thread has been started... Bring it on doc.

Undoubtedly, the maddest swift ddis in the country.

Last edited by kpzen : 25th August 2009 at 11:43.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:42   #5
BHPian

Congrats Ripper. Remap limit is 125bhp for a swift??? Fantastic mods.
Swift looks great with those alloys.

Humyum: +1 . Surely looks like a Getz beater.

Have fun, drive safe.

Last edited by mnhegde : 25th August 2009 at 11:44.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:42   #6
BHPian

Super !!
Sensible and reliable mods I say. I like it that way. Its modded yet completely reliable.
Congrats on the massive upgrades Ripper. Envy you !

Enjoy !
Old 25th August 2009, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Decided to spill the beans to the junta have you?
Old 25th August 2009, 11:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

RipperGo,

I reckon a drive to Cochin to check out your swift Swift is definitely work it!

Not even going to ask about the current lightness of your purse!
Old 25th August 2009, 11:46   #9
rippergeo

I wouldnt make a claim of it being a getz CRDi beater. Maybe equal. but a tuning box in the getz, and its game over for my swift, it wont be humiliating, but it will still be game over. There's a 200cc and a VGT advantage in the korean that cant be easily negated.and the hyundai diesels rev better than anything the europeans throw at them in that price range.The gearing in the hyundais are also better for top speed runs.

Remember that the swift starts from 75 bhp.
The Getz starts at 110bhp.
The 1.3 engine is stressed to the limits just keeping up with the korean 1.5. its not really a fair comparison. but bring on any other 1.3 diesel, that will be ok.

Speedometer says I'm 4 secs faster to 100 than stock inspite of the huge upsize from 165 to 205 tyres.

Now does 10 secs to 100 according to speedo. Nokia GPS says i need 12.xx secs.
but please note that this was before the current remap, with 205 tyres,and a slipping clutch. Will time it again soon. but my hearts not really in it. It is murder on the tyres and transmission.

This package makes sense for people who can find a cheap 2nd hand Swift VDi with ABS and a busted stock turbo. That will make a complete VFM car.

Old 25th August 2009, 11:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Speedometer says I'm 4 secs faster to 100 than stock inspite of the huge upsize from 165 to 205 tyres.
I guess your GIIIs were 185/70-14.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:03   #11
Team-BHP Support

Mad swift and even madder owner! Great mods ripper, only one question. Now what???!

Hey do you have some pics of your engine bay, turbo, cat back etc?
Old 25th August 2009, 12:12   #12
BHPian

Hey congrats Judy, next time i come to cochin i will make it a point to check it out.kindly pm me your number please!!!
Old 25th August 2009, 12:17   #13
BHPian

Phew, this really is going the full length. Good set of mods there rippergeo and am sure it would truly be a joy to ride now and looks of a sleeper too.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

all the best to the hunt for the elusive performance clutch for the ddis !
Old 25th August 2009, 12:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Alright its out it open! Careful fellow MJD's !

doc; what's the stock psi numbers with the KKKs?

Quote:

The stock turbo from KKK in the swift failed. the oil seals gave and performance dropped.
Peter to the rescue again.
A hybrid turbo from Turbodynamics UK was dropped in. Again, a bolt on fit.Again, the work done in a 2-3 hrs.
I ran in the turbo with a friend sitting in the co driver's seat slapping my wrists everytime i showed any tendency to go over the limit.
I had to run it in for 50kilometers. upto 5 psi boost for the 1st 25kms and 10 psi for the 2nd 25kms, and then I'd be free. i exploited my long lunch break to the max and got the running in done that afternoon itself. The boost gauge was showing a nice, steady 18psi by the time I got back to work

The turbo is brilliant.
spools earlier. Gives 10psi at 1500rpm in 5th even if you skip shift from 3rd gear directly to 5th. it also seems to give a higher volume of air, because the mild smoke that used to be present with all diesels due to unburnt fuel went away after the turbo upgrade

The turbo is now running in my car giving a boost of 23psi
One of these days, i'll blow the engine. but what fun!

Most Viewed