Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 12:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Great mods ripper, only one question. Now what???!
Depends on my sms
Old 25th August 2009, 12:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

great mods. that suspension upgrade is what i envy. best investment for monsoony roads of KL. have fun. i think it's time for you to update the best KL roads Idukky thread.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:38   #18
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I guess your GIIIs were 185/70-14.
The timings of 14 secs was on stock tyres
went down to 12.8 on 185/70/r14 with tuning box
10 secs now with full set of mods and 205/55/r15 tyres
Note these times are all speedo tested. The GPS figures are less impressive.

Autocar india had timed the car with their GPS device with just the tuning box and filter at 12.xx (bald 185 tyres and slipping clutch)

getting a decent 0-100 timing on this car is difficult.
car redlines in 3rd at 5100rpm at GPS indicated 107kmph.
car is doing 90kmph at 4000rpm in 3rd. beyond that, the fuelling leans out. there is not much torque(relative to sub 4krpm) above it. that plays havoc on the 0-100 timings. the last 10kmph crawl from 90-100 takes a silly 4 secs on the tuning box. and even though it is halved by the remap, it is still a very silly 2 secs to climb10kmph from 90-100.

Add to that, the massive wheelspin,torque steer in 1st gear, and my reluctance to punish my darling, the 0-100 timings are so-so

Next steps

1.Performance clutch.
currently running stock clutch. Dont expect it to last beyond 10k.
no clutch upgrades are available for this car/engine.

2.removal of the EGR system. Not really a performance mod, mainly just to keep the intake side of the engine clean.

3.Fine tuning the ECU remap
still running a little rich. that translates into smoke on heavy acceleration.
and wasted fuel.
I have not checked the mileage on heavy ripping mode. tankful to tankful of mainly city and some hard hifghway runs usually returns 16kmpl
mileage on my ghat runs are too scary to be mentioned here. anyways, dont have accurate readings of those.

4.Intercooler upgrade-currently impossible/unrealistic/not worth it, due to lack of space and difficult plumbing.

5.Some other crazy stuff if the engine lasts long enough
and if I find a performance clutch

Old 25th August 2009, 12:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ripper, wont the performance clutch harden the already hard ddis clutch or will the hardness remain the same ?
Old 25th August 2009, 12:44   #20
BHPian

Thats a cool set of mods.

Welcome to the club mate .
Old 25th August 2009, 12:45   #21
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Ripper, wont the performance clutch harden the already hard ddis clutch or will the hardness remain the same ?
Firstly, I have to find a performance clutch.
Secondly- my clutch isnt hard at all. But I have been driving diesel for almost 13 yrs, so I wouldnt realise if it was heavier than a petrol.

Old 25th August 2009, 12:49   #22
BHPian

your car matches your forum handle now. Thats an excellent upgrade mate, and the modifications look almost factory perfect. The Swift Diesels clutch is anyways weak and like you said wont last for more than 10k km. Im sure there must be an alternative.
Old 25th August 2009, 13:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldnt make a claim of it being a getz CRDi beater. Maybe equal. but a tuning box in the getz, and its game over for my swift, it wont be humiliating, but it will still be game over. There's a 200cc and a VGT advantage in the korean that cant be easily negated.and the hyundai diesels rev better than anything the europeans throw at them in that price range.The gearing in the hyundais are also better for top speed runs.

Remember that the swift starts from 75 bhp.
The Getz starts at 110bhp.
The 1.3 engine is stressed to the limits just keeping up with the korean 1.5. its not really a fair comparison. but bring on any other 1.3 diesel, that will be ok.
I would like to chip in with a slightly different opinion for which, I may be blasted by others here.Lol

Well Since I own both the Getz CRDi and Swift DDiS , I have sort of drawn a basic conclusion after comparing both for a few months now.

The getz is a mad car, very quick BUT the fun ends at corners.Straight line, its damn exciting. The other day,me and Moralfibre had gone for a drive on some twisty roads. While climbing up, we were doing 90-100( Empty roads) but on corners, it just oversteered so much, it wasnt funny. So basically, the fun factor in getz is spoiled by softer suspension setup and heavy understeer when cornering hard.
Now coming to the Swift, yes its a bit tricky to drive than the getz. You need to shift very well to get the best out of it. Not as eager as the Getz ofcourse but its far more fun around corners and some times its more fun doing that than just ripping a car in straight line.
I mean, its ok once in a while to rip it in a straightline but you cant keep doing it and then its quite disappointing that your striaghtline monster cant turn lol.

So yes, given a choice, I would choose to drive the swift over the Getz because of its 'fun' factor irrespective of the fact that the getz is more powerful etc..

Coming back to the topic, Ripper, you just showed me the direction of future probable mods for my car, thanks
Old 25th August 2009, 13:33   #24
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post

So yes, given a choice, I would choose to drive the swift over the Getz because of its 'fun' factor irrespective of the fact that the getz is more powerful etc..
I agree with your assesment completely. which is why, even though the current on road price on the getz crdi is so juicy, I'm holding back. In a straightline, the getz is still king. Nothing like the swift when it comes to overall fun to drive package.

Old 25th August 2009, 13:49   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

So finally the figures of the stock vdi are out eh Doc ? Honestly, this car is real fun to drive. I still say, this is how a stock swift should be from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Autocar india had timed the car with their GPS device with just the tuning box and filter at 12.xx (bald 185 tyres and slipping clutch)
Put it on a Vbox Doc!

Quote:
and my reluctance to punish my darling, the 0-100 timings are so-so
Can I do a 0-100 on the car? lol.

Quote:
1.Performance clutch.
currently running stock clutch. Dont expect it to last beyond 10k.
no clutch upgrades are available for this car/engine.
Available, but there is a catch to it .

Quote:
5.Some other crazy stuff if the engine lasts long enough
and if I find a performance clutch
Like?

Quote:
The getz is a mad car, very quick BUT the fun ends at corners.
There is a solution to this as well, albeit a little expensive one.

Quote:
Hhhhmmm. I would say the opposite works for me. The getz doesn't handle as bad actually, if you know how to push that car into corners. One needs to adjust their driving style a bit, thats it.
Old 25th August 2009, 13:52   #26
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Congrats Ripper. Is that a branded endcan ?

Mind sharing the costs ? Esp the Bilstens and the Tarox.
That is a full catback, not just the end can. its from Supersprint.
The tarox costs 22k. I picked up mine second hand.
Bilstein's pricing not finalised yet. but will be comparable to whatever else is available in the market. i.e-set of dampers +springs.

Quote:
Undoubtedly, the maddest swift ddis in the country.
Actually, I'm confident enough to agree to that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Congrats Ripper. Remap limit is 125bhp for a swift??? Fantastic mods.
Swift looks great with those alloys.
Thanks, yes thats the theoretical limit. anything higher and we'd melt it or blow it apart. reliability would suffer.
those alloys are OE corrolla alloys painted black. Picked them up off of harsh87 on the classifieds.

Quote:
Super !!
Sensible and reliable mods I say. I like it that way. Its modded yet completely reliable.
Congrats on the massive upgrades Ripper. Envy you !

Enjoy !
Thanks Amey. the reliabilty comes from Peter. Everytime i pushed for crazy stuff, he made me understand what's safe and what's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Decided to spill the beans to the junta have you?
it had to happen. I was bursting from all the secrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
RipperGo,
I reckon a drive to Cochin to check out your swift Swift is definitely work it!
Come down and have a look
The pricing will be decided. currently I'm still running all this on a trial basis. but I'll be damned if i ever give all this stuff back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Mad swift and even madder owner! Great mods ripper, only one question. Now what???!

Hey do you have some pics of your engine bay, turbo, cat back etc?
What me? Mad? I hardly ever drive above 120kmph. Why am I mad?
The turbo is well hidden. will dig up pics of the engine bay. have a clear shot of just the turbo, but that shows too much detail. not sure if I'm allowed to put that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
all the best to the hunt for the elusive performance clutch for the ddis !
:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Alright its out it open! Careful fellow MJD's !

doc; what's the stock psi numbers with the KKKs?
The stock boost in the swift is 15psi.
the turbodynamics one shows a steady 23psi between 2000 and 3000rpm, then drops to 18psi above that.
wastegate has been set at 23psi. will dial that down to 21 one of these days and see.

Quote:
Depends on my sms
Yeah. i'm not competeing with the getz on an expressway. thats asking for a beating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
great mods. that suspension upgrade is what i envy. best investment for monsoony roads of KL. have fun. i think it's time for you to update the best KL roads Idukky thread.
I've been planning and planning. i've even got the routes planned out. but i'm not getting permission from my home minister :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Thats a cool set of mods.

Welcome to the club mate .
thanks. when do we get to see the Mad getz thread?

@rahul- who's got a vbox in cochin?
0-100, by you? dream on. I'm worried even when Peter's people drive the car. and my dad's not allowed to touch it.
Let me know about the custom clutch.
Everyone's got their own poison. for me its the suzi, for you its the hyundai.
I drive dad's verna occasionally, its not slow. it brakes well, I'll even say it handles well enough(if you know how to drive it), but its not half as fun as the Swift(to me).

Last edited by rippergeo : 25th August 2009 at 13:59.

Old 25th August 2009, 14:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
There is a solution to this as well, albeit a little expensive one.
Like ??

Quote:
Hhhhmmm. I would say the opposite works for me. The getz doesn't handle as bad actually, if you know how to push that car into corners. One needs to adjust their driving style a bit, thats it.
I beg to differ. I have come to this conclusion after driving both the cars extensively for quite some time.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:14   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Like ??
Will put up a detailed post, once I have all the tech details in my hand. Right now looking at a very well known company that is ready to make springs for the Getz with a drop of 30mm.

Quote:
I beg to differ. I have come to this conclusion after driving both the cars extensively for quite some time.
Amey, if you try do drive the Getz the same way you drive the swift, it will give you complete dissatisfaction and more. There is quite of bit of correction to be made in the driving styles between both these cars. The getz chassis is a pretty decent one, its just the suspension that needs to be taken care of.

I agree the swift handles much better, but IMO that car hardly accelerates into corners to begin with. Atleast that is my take from driving the Getz & Swift to Nandi Hills almost every weekend. I remember someone shooting a video of our Nandi Hill climb in the Getz. Lot of people will be surprised with the speeds that car could do around corners. Let me find out who has the video and upload it. I also have a comparo video in my swift.

Quote:
0-100, by you? dream on.
Come on Doc! How about a 0-100 in 9 secs?

Quote:
Everyone's got their own poison. for me its the suzi, for you its the hyundai.
Forgotten that I am still a Suzi fan at heart have we ?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 25th August 2009 at 14:17.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:24   #29
BHPian

So this is why you didnt pursue the MASS for turbo replacement.
Congratz boss.
Old 25th August 2009, 15:19   #30
BHPian

Amazing stuff there, really superb. Enjoy the car, yeah a car like this is much better than a stock car from a higher segment.

all this is tempting, calling me onto the diesel brigade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks