Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 19:13   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
195 AD-07's are going to be an overkill on your car and will slow you down. Knowing your driving style, I would suggest stick to PP2's.
I read from web that Tesla Roadster is using Yoko ADVAN's.
Its a High Performance tyre with "low" rolling resistance.

I'm not sure how it will "slow" down a car.

100bhp more or less is the power output. I simply don't agree 195 AD's will be overkill.
No comments on PP2.

Again, this depends on the driver. So I'd think its up to the doc.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:34   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
I simply don't agree 195 AD's will be overkill.
Ask Rajeev, he already has started to feel that the 195's AD-07's are slowing his getz down. Its because these tires have phenominal grip, the wider profile you go for, more is the contact patch, more the rolling resistance (what you mentioned could just be that the RR is less compared to other performance summer tires). They make up for the loss in acceleration by letting you push harder into corners/braking. But AD-07's will be an overkill for most cars, unless they are putting out some serious power down. Or the need for the hour is good tires that can "stop" you from close to 200kmph in a straight line and quickly at that.

Knowing Doc's driving, I doubt he needs anything more than PP2's.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:47   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Knowing Doc's driving, I doubt he needs anything more than PP2's.
There are more points to be considered than what other people "think"
Don't you think ?

If that is the case who needs more than 100bhp from a street car in India.

PS : I'm planning to get 195 AD's for my stock swift.
So more comments are definitely welcome.

Quote:
Its because these tires have phenominal grip, the wider profile you go for, more is the contact patch, more the rolling resistance
Now car is on 205 S Drive and plan is for 195 AD's so it will be less right ?

Quote:
the need for the hour is good tires that can "stop" you from close to 200kmph in a straight line and quickly at that.
In that case most of the cars don't need AD's, right ?
Only merc's / BMW's / Audi's and the rest of the gang...

EDIT : Swift is my dad's daily drive. He is a fast driver.
He usually carries speed through the corners and brakes hard.
For his "style" I'd say a lot of grip from the tyres will keep him "entertained".

FE and acceleration are not really that important.

Last edited by yzfrj : 25th August 2009 at 19:59.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:58   #49
BANNED

Quote:
There are more points to be considered than what other people "think"
Don't you think ?
Hunh? I didn't quite get what you are trying to say. All I meant was I know Louis' driving style. He would hate it to buy a set of tires that would slow him down after all that he has spent on making the car go fast.

Quote:
If that is the case who needs more than 100bhp from a street car in India.
I would disagree. To some its that 0-100 that matters, to some a quarter mile, the rest might love to drive at 200kmph on a highway. No power is enough power, once you get used to it. With time one needs more power, its a never stopping process.

Quote:
PS : I'm planning to get 195 AD's for my stock swift.
Would surely be an overkill. IMO not worth it at all unless you push very hard into corners, drive at speeds in excess of 160kmph on the highways.

Quote:
Now car is on 205 S Drive and plan is for 195 AD's so it will be less right ?
It is not just the width, even the compound of the tire plays a very important role. I find the S.drives to be crappy tires, IMO a 215 S.drive would be equal to the grip provided by a 185 AD-07.

Quote:
In that case most of the cars don't need AD's, right ?
Only merc's / BMW's / Audi's and the rest of the gang...
Yup! Most cars don't need AD-07's. Not unless you are pushing some really big horses under the hood. The main reason Karthik, Rajeev, Vijay, binz, myself run the AD-07's is for extreme cornering grip and braking performance at high speeds. The AD-07's slow down my baleno drastically, but I compensate for this loss by being able to corner harder and stay on the brakes that much more later and yet expect the car to stop without breaking a sweat.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 25th August 2009 at 20:06.
Old 25th August 2009, 20:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Hunh? I didn't quite get what you are trying to say.
All I'm trying to say is, you should plonk in whatever rubber "you" (the driver) feels comfortable in.

Quote:
once you get used to it. With time one needs more power, its a never stopping process.
Then I'm thankful that I'm not

Quote:
IMO not worth it at all unless you push very hard into corners, drive at speeds in excess of 160kmph on the highways.
Its a stock swift-d man, so 160km/hr ? You got to be kidding.

Quote:
I find the S.drives to be crappy tires, IMO a 215 S.drive would be equal to the grip provided by a 185 AD-07.
Well, I think now you got the point.
This is exactly why I think AD's are good.

PS : I think I'm hogging up the thread and taking it way....... off topic.
Sorry doc.
Old 25th August 2009, 20:30   #51
BANNED

Quote:
All I'm trying to say is, you should plonk in whatever rubber "you" (the driver) feels comfortable in.
Definitely! But at times, if you know the other person well enough, you will be able to know what he needs/doesn't.

Quote:
Its a stock swift-d man, so 160km/hr ? You got to be kidding.
Let me know how it goes with your set of AD-07's.

Quote:
Well, I think now you got the point.
This is exactly why I think AD's are good.
Well, I don't deny how good the AD-07's are. Infact it was me who started off this trend of using AD-07's on this forum. But my point is, 195's would be an overkill. Stock cars, decent driving, stick to 185 AD's or 195 PP2's max.

Quote:
PS : I think I'm hogging up the thread and taking it way....... off topic.
Sorry doc.
True! Let us stick to Doc's stock car here shall we . Oh no, but he has just told his wife everything about the car. So its not stock anymore. Doc, when did the unveiling happen? The day you had that good day?
Old 25th August 2009, 20:36   #52
rippergeo

Quote:
Oh no, but he has just told his wife everything about the car. So its not stock anymore. Doc, when did the unveiling happen? The day you had that good day?
It happened in stages. On an as-and-when-caught-red handed basis

Old 25th August 2009, 20:57   #53
BHPian

I hope you have planned for the day, when your wife goes around your car, randomly pointing at stuff, shouting at you!!

Good luck with that Doc!
Old 25th August 2009, 21:18   #54
BHPian

If you really want AD07 go ahead and try it, especially since I believe 14inchers are more affordable than other sizes. Whats wrong in trying it?
Old 25th August 2009, 21:31   #55
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
If you really want AD07 go ahead and try it, especially since I believe 14inchers are more affordable than other sizes. Whats wrong in trying it?
let me wear out the S drives first. another 25k to go I think

Old 25th August 2009, 21:52   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

@ripper --- No one hides stuff, but it seems like that. There are a lot of cars in Bangalore itself, but no one seems to post any details on those cars!

Anyway, I was just appreciating the fact that you have explained everything in an interesting and practical way.
Old 25th August 2009, 21:54   #57
BHPian

Oh man! that is the maddest, and meanest Swift D ever! Hats off to you and Pete!
Old 25th August 2009, 22:01   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
No one hides stuff, but it seems like that. There are a lot of cars in Bangalore itself, but no one seems to post any details on those cars!
No they do! To top it all, they run fully built engines & claim them to be bone stock .
Old 25th August 2009, 22:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
He is on 15" corolla rims. Maybe he can swap from the LPG Swift and try it out.
Old 25th August 2009, 22:28   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

LPG Swift also has 15" rims.

Anyway, I dont want to go OT(sorry ripper!) but about the Ad07s, I do want to say this.

It doesnt matter what speeds you drive at or what speeds you take corners at. Those few times when you take a sharp turn at speed of 80kmph, you'll be grateful for the Advans.

We're using it on my dad's NHC VTEC. Bone stock car(unfortunately!!). 99% city driving. But the few times we drive to the airport, we have a blast. There is one curve especially which is quite tight. You cant do stuff like 160 or anything on that curve, but whatever speed you take it at, you can feel the amazing grip of the Ad07s and yo0u can keep pushing the car.

Sure, it makes more sense for the 'mad CRDi' drivers, but that doesnt mean a relatively slower driver cannot enjoy it on a stock car.

Now, when you bring cost into the equation, things go a little haywire.

14". These are the most reasonably priced at around 5.2k a pop. 195/60 R14. Considering that XM1+ in this size costs around 4.5k, 5.2k for AD07s is awesome.

15". This is where it gets scary. 195/55 R15 costs 7.2k. 205/55 R15(the correct upsize for Swift) costs 7.3k.

Now, someone might say it is worthwhile spending 35k on tyres just to experience THE FASTEST STREET LEGAL TYRE in the world. That is their opinion. Look at the mad LPG driver . He spent close to that amount and he's enjoying it! He doesnt mind that the tyres will be bald in about 30k kms(at the max). But on the other hand, someone else would not think it's a worthwhile investment.

It's all subjective. There is no right or wrong! We're TBHPians. More often than not, our hearts rule over our minds. It's passion which drives us.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 25th August 2009 at 22:29.

Most Viewed