Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 00:49   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Looking good Goose. The white paint and alloy combo looks great on the car. How bout some better pictures taken in scenic backgrounds?

yup, getting some of my office Graphic Designers to do that form me.

I think i figured out the peppy steering at high speeds.

Caster got fouled

Here i got this from about.com

"Caster is the tilting of the uppermost point of the steering axis either forward or backward (when viewed from the side of the vehicle). A backward tilt is positive (+) and a forward tilt is negative (-). Caster influences directional control of the steering but does not affect the tire wear and is not adjustable on this vehicle. Caster is affected by the vehicle height, therefore it is important to keep the body at its designed height. Overloading the vehicle or a weak or sagging rear spring will affect caster. When the rear of the vehicle is lower than its designated trim height, the front suspension moves to a more positive caster. If the rear of the vehicle is higher than its designated trim height, the front suspension moves to a less positive caster. With too little positive caster, steering may be touchy at high speed and wheel returnability may be diminished when coming out of a turn. If one wheel has more positive caster than the other, that wheel will pull toward the center of the vehicle. This condition will cause the vehicle to pull or lead to the side with the least amount of positive caster."

Link to Source: Wheel Alignment Explained - What is Caster, Camber, Toe In, Toe Out, Alignment - Four Wheel Alignment

The back of my car has been raised a bit, so hypothetically if the front has been raised more than the back, I get a more positive caster that stock i.e steering gets touchier at high speeds.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 29th August 2009 at 01:05.
Old 29th August 2009, 01:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Caster is adjusted during wheel alignment, unless you didn't do it before.
Old 29th August 2009, 02:23   #18

Goose, What were you doing near ITC?? That is like my everyday hangout spot...
Old 29th August 2009, 02:39   #19
BHPian

I work at MTV, its right there...
in fact in in office right now, chilling.
Old 29th August 2009, 12:15   #20
BHPian

There is NO Caster /Camber Adjustments on an OHC. Putting a lower diameter tyre in rear will raise car from front & theoretically you will get more +ve Camber Effect, but how much that will need to be measured.
Old 30th August 2009, 13:59   #21
BHPian

@ Ford Rocam: so it can't be caster then...
Damn i thought i was onto something..
Old 30th August 2009, 15:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Finally done eh! Looks like its time for another ohc meet.
Old 31st August 2009, 10:24   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! The car is lookin' good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
But i have noticed that at high speeds [around 100 km/hr and above], the car gets very unstable, as in when i was driving down Marine Drive.
The OHC is wafer light and has an extremely basic suspension design; it's known to get nervous at speed. Plus, the Marine Drive surface quality is very uneven and its easy to tram line.

How come you got yourself a 1.3 in the first place, if such a long list of mods was in the pipeline?
Old 31st August 2009, 12:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats! The car is lookin' good.
How come you got yourself a 1.3 in the first place, if such a long list of mods was in the pipeline?
Haha.. when i got the car i didn't know what even VTEC was.
I was new to cars.
I was so new in fact that i didn't know there there was a facelifted [Type II] model or a 1.3 & 1.5 variant.

Right now a 1.3 is peppy enough for me.

But Down the line may get an engine swap too.

All Depends on how much i can save
Old 31st August 2009, 17:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But i have noticed that at high speeds [around 100 km/hr and above], the car gets very unstable, as in when i was driving down Marine Drive. I was thinking that because the road itself is messed up and I got stiffer [than stock] suspension, my car will follow the contours of the road
Does it tend to dart from side to side. It could be wheel alignment ie, you have too much toe-out. Get it checked and inc the toe-in.
Old 31st August 2009, 18:44   #26
BHPian

@Mpower: Will check, but yes the steering does dart from side to side, even at normal speeds. But at high speeds it gets scary.

If I get it re-aligned and set it to toe-in, will that improve its line holding abilities?
Old 31st August 2009, 19:42   #27
BHPian

Better get a proper exhaust fitted before you bend the valves thanks to your short pipe. Adman from the forum also had a shortpipe from game over and he did face valve problems.
Old 31st August 2009, 21:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Mpower: Will check, but yes the steering does dart from side to side, even at normal speeds. But at high speeds it gets scary.

If I get it re-aligned and set it to toe-in, will that improve its line holding abilities?
yes, the darting and nervousness is an indicator that you have too much toe out. Check it and compare it with specs. All cars specify a little toe-in.
Old 1st September 2009, 09:42   #29
BHPian

nicely done up car man. i liked the car specially the black wheels.
Old 1st September 2009, 11:21   #30
BHPian

Hi..

can you please explain!! What are you reffering too!! how is a short pipe damaging the valves, you mean are the headers very very restrictive? Increasing the back pressure...hence damaging the valves!!

Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Better get a proper exhaust fitted before you bend the valves thanks to your short pipe. Adman from the forum also had a shortpipe from game over and he did face valve problems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks