Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 14:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Finally decided to do up my Lancer. Edit: paint job complete.

Guys,

I have been driving my 2000 silver lancer in the most sorry state possible, yes i know i am guilty but my recent decission to change city came as a huge blow to my budget. I have been through some serious financial termoil in the last couple of months, so i have been procastinating the decissionof doing it up completely, any ways let me directly come to the problem section first.

The body line

My car has its complete LHS scrapped badly while reversing, there a couple of dimples on the roof due to some coconuts landing on it. the fron bumper is loose, and the bonnet and the fendors are misaligned, basically i need a ful denting painting work to be done. I have been procastinating my decession of getting it done also because of rains.

I have got some quotes on the paint job(all for same color)

-->Auto Park (near technopark trivandrum) 23K(including a second hand head lamp)

+ves
very good with tinwork and paint
has an enclosed paint booth(not the real paint booth)
Very near to office so can see WIP
My friends friend (so can get some discounts)
Has a lot of cars always to work on

-ves
Has a bad reputaion of cheating customers
actuals can run beyond estimates
Had a bad experiance servicing the car(later the owner himself told me they dont have good mechanics to look after that)

-->Another place near technopark(usually seen buses being painted)

+ves
Cheap 13K or get him all the materials and pay 4k loabour

-ves
Always seen buses being painted
Havent seen any of his work(cars)
Sounds very lousy, dosent sound very confident

--> Car designs enchakkal 27 K, Painter speaks in very fluent english says " if i reduce the price then i have to compromise on workmanship/material which i wont do"

+ves

has a booth
Does mods(asked me if i want to smoke my lamps)
Knows his stuff(it seams)

-ves
I cant quite think of any(think he sold me his idea well " if i reduce the price then i have to compromise on workmanship/material which i wont do"), still i feel not right'

-->Colour wheels enchakkal 40K

This guy has a proper paint booth, and i have seen him painting a brand new pajero directly out of the showroom with out a regn number.
-ves

obscenly priced (i can buy a lancer for 2X that cost)

I dont know any other competent place.

The mechanicals

The car has a great engine even after doing 125k, the car was regularly serviced at A.S.S, there are couple of leaks near the tappit cover and near the distributer, i think a couple of caskets can fix that, the suspension was nice but now started making noise, thanks to japan drinking water project, this can wait for another month or two. The tyres need replacement but can wait for another 5-7K kms, thought of upgrading them to 15" so can wait after the suspension is done. I need some sugestions, are the painting charges too high, i have heard people changing colours of their cars and doing a standox job for less than 30 k, am i being ripped(its a out station car), can any BHpian in Trivandrum guide me to a better place.

Mods: there are many threads on this topic however none to meet my questions of where and howmuch in trivandrum, please merge/ move accordingly
Thanks

Pramod
Old 1st September 2009, 09:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

70 Views and not even one reply? Guys, i seriously need some advise here.

Pramod
Old 1st September 2009, 09:41   #3
BHPian

"if i reduce the price then i have to compromise on workmanship/material" these lines should have explained you everything. if you want perfection in work than you have to pay more .It depends upon you that whether you want to pay less or get the work done perfectly .You have to pay for the Quality of work. but I think 40k is too high .
Old 1st September 2009, 09:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

@PramodKumar you would like to visit the "Modded cars in Kerala thread" there are many places to get your lancer done up. 40 K for paint is too much even for a good one like Standox. I inquired here in BLR a Standox paint re-do is 26 K max. IF there are too many dents, then it goes up by 3-4 K max. Ohh yes and this guy has a booth and all.

Some good pictures of your ride might help in getting an idea of what more could be required.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 1st September 2009 at 10:00.
Old 1st September 2009, 10:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3938 View Post
"if i reduce the price then i have to compromise on workmanship/material" these lines should have explained you everything. if you want perfection in work than you have to pay more .It depends upon you that whether you want to pay less or get the work done perfectly .You have to pay for the Quality of work. but I think 40k is too high .

I too was very much convinced with those lines, but the question is am i beeing overcharged, if you look at a lot of other restoration threads, you will see the best paint jobs with change of colour takes about 30K, that involves taking off the engine, stripping down the car etc. but in my case they will do a lot of body leveling but no stripping down. Guys i just wanted to know if this is the right cost. I want a good job but not a costly job.

Pramod
Old 1st September 2009, 10:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I too was very much convinced with those lines, but the question is am i beeing overcharged, if you look at a lot of other restoration threads, you will see the best paint jobs with change of colour takes about 30K, that involves taking off the engine, stripping down the car etc. but in my case they will do a lot of body leveling but no stripping down. Guys i just wanted to know if this is the right cost. I want a good job but not a costly job.

Pramod
Once we enquired for my friends car colour change with a garage. he gave as an estimate of 20k for 2k paint. it also included denting . He also told us that he will also remove the previous paint fully instead of applying the new paint over it .
Old 1st September 2009, 10:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3938 View Post
Once we enquired for my friends car colour change with a garage. he gave as an estimate of 20k for 2k paint. it also included denting . He also told us that he will also remove the previous paint fully instead of applying the new paint over it .
Does he have all the equipments/infrastructure/quality ? 20K looks super cheap.
Old 1st September 2009, 10:40   #8
BHPian

The workshop was not fully equipped but it was well Equipped with a sealed paint booth.I have seen cars painted by him it was close to factory finish.It was good deal at 20k.
Old 1st September 2009, 10:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

-1 for colour wheels. charges premium rates, and doesn't do the stuff we want them. he does them the way he likes them. Had a bad experience there
Old 1st September 2009, 11:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The car has a great engine even after doing 125k, the car was regularly serviced at A.S.S, there are couple of leaks near the tappit cover and near the distributer, i think a couple of caskets can fix that, the suspension was nice but now started making noise, thanks to japan drinking water project, this can wait for another month or two.
Gaskets, not caskets.
Old 1st September 2009, 11:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
-1 for colour wheels. charges premium rates, and doesn't do the stuff we want them. he does them the way he likes them. Had a bad experience there
I need some help from you here, Do you think autopark will be a good option. Where are you getting your car done?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Gaskets, not caskets.
My Bad, i don't proof read, G and C are quite closely placed on the keyboard(monday blues), Thanks for pointing it out anyways.

Pramod
Old 1st September 2009, 11:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

is it the one near the main gate? I once went there to get the fusebox of my indica opened, but some young boy tried, and couldnt get it open, adviced me to go to kulathunkal ( good advice though, I must add)

After color wheels screwed up, I'm sticking with the TASC - Kulathunkal. their work is okay. They're handling the accident work on my indica right now. Not too good on timelines though. I gave them my car on 10th august. Right now they're saying it will take till sep 20th for completing work.

I remember dad saying that there was a shop in thakaraparamb area which was good.

Then I remember sph having a booth somewhere else in tvm
Old 1st September 2009, 11:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is it the one near the main gate? I once went there to get the fusebox of my indica opened, but some young boy tried, and couldnt get it open, adviced me to go to kulathunkal ( good advice though, I must add)
Yes its the one near the main gate, I gave my lancer for servicing there and they didnt do a great job, Then later when i complained to the owner he said all his experianced mechs have gone, so no one takes care of the mechanical side, the only problem is their quotes keep on changing, they first quoted me 13k in march during servicing, then 17 k when i went with my friend, and now 23 k.

Quote:
After color wheels screwed up, I'm sticking with the TASC - Kulathunkal. their work is okay. They're handling the accident work on my indica right now. Not too good on timelines though. I gave them my car on 10th august. Right now they're saying it will take till sep 20th for completing work.
Color wheels, is a rip off for sure. he was showing me paint price (2 liter for 1.6k MRP) to justify his obscene pricing
Quote:
I remember dad saying that there was a shop in thakaraparamb area which was good.

Then I remember sph having a booth somewhere else in tvm
I have also heared about takaraparamb but they are also know to miss timelines, then they will stall work at every stage due to lack of material. there is a very good chance of they pumping my funds to a different car and then using subsided materials(my car bazar friend told me this)

SPH has a paint booth near veli, they mostly paint scooters and furnitures, they have not started painting cars. During my recent visit to lakshmi elictricals(bosch) center in enjackkal i saw a newly painted amby (passion red, optra) was looking nice, the owner said he paid 25k for it. it was a color change. I hope it will be little cheaper in my case as it is of the same color.

Pramod
Old 1st September 2009, 12:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wanted to get my ORVM's painted white , and the wheels matte black. gave it to a paintshop which is otherwise highly recommended. they painted the wheels glossy black ( even though they initially agreed to paint it matte ) , and now claim they did it because it will be easier to clean. If they had felt so , they could have told me before they did it , and they painted the WHOLE ORVM instead of just the top half, despite me specifically telling them not to.

And on top of it I had to run around for this for two days. Gah this sucks. I only hope nothing happens at the TASS tomorrow to make it worse!
what exactly happened with Color Wheelz
Old 1st September 2009, 13:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what exactly happened with Color Wheelz
That is a bad experience, As the bussiness grows people usually forget some basic stuff. Anyways. found some threads on lancer overhaul

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ct-diablo.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...t-phoenix.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ed-lancer.html

Mine has to be done in stages. Money is not of great concern and i am ready to pay up to 20k, the only need is work has to be top quality. I will check out tagaraparamb after tuesday next week. I am also afraid that i might procastinate the whole thing again. Need to get some pointers fast. What happened TVM Bhpians, dont we have a denter/painter of choice?

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks