Team-BHP - Rear Disk Brake Conversion
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Rear Disk Brake Conversion (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/64931-rear-disk-brake-conversion.html)

I would like to know if anyone has done the rear disc brake conversion for a swift in india,i am sure it is possible,since the international models have that option.

thank you,
deep

Its possible, but do you think its worth it? Its a slightly complicated process. And not many people are qualified enough to setup brakes. I suggest you get better rotors, pads and get some good tires. Should be more than enough. Not worth taking the risk, specially when it comes to braking.

On the contrary PM Jitu (ford rocam). He has done a conversion on his city. He would be your best man to talk to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885 (Post 1469646)
Its possible, but do you think its worth it? Its a slightly complicated process. And not many people are qualified enough to setup brakes. I suggest you get better rotors, pads and get some good tires. Should be more than enough. Not worth taking the risk, specially when it comes to braking.

On the contrary PM Jitu (ford rocam). He has done a conversion on his city. He would be your best man to talk to.

Thanq Rahul..,

I will think about it,if it's so complicated i will look at upgrading the rotors and the brake pads.

I am planning to retrofit the rear disc brakes on polo. After looking through a lot of parts website i am a little confused as to which brakes will fit indian polo.
The rear axle fitted in my car has the part no.
Rear Axle 6R0 500 051 B
Stub Axle 6Q0 501 117

Now as per my findings there are four different brake versions that will fit polo, but out of this which one is compatible with this axle?
PR-1KK
PR-1KT
PR-1KV
PR-1KP

Please experts help me on this confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885 (Post 1469646)

If done well, it isnt really a risk. There are retro fit kits available or custom parts can be made as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarchy_99 (Post 3256557)
I am planning to retrofit the rear disc brakes on polo. After looking through a lot of parts website i am a little confused as to which brakes will fit indian polo.
The rear axle fitted in my car has the part no.
Rear Axle 6R0 500 051 B
Stub Axle 6Q0 501 117

Now as per my findings there are four different brake versions that will fit polo, but out of this which one is compatible with this axle?
PR-1KK
PR-1KT
PR-1KV
PR-1KP

Please experts help me on this confusion.

PR-1KV

Any Rear disc conversion, will loose out in hand brake connection. Make sure, there is a provision for hand brake before doing the conversion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarchy_99 (Post 3256557)
I am planning to retrofit the rear disc brakes on polo.

I'm not an expert. But I suppose the fluid pressure should be different for disc and drum brakes (please correct me if I'm wrong). How will it be controlled in this conversion?
If the current fluid pressure is high after disc conversion, wheel tend to lock and ABS will get activated often (in case of vehicle equipped with ABS)

Experts, please clarify.

Quote:

Originally Posted by narendra.vw (Post 3261552)
Any Rear disc conversion, will loose out in hand brake connection. Make sure, there is a provision for hand brake before doing the conversion.

Not exactly. Rear disc brakes always came with Hand brake provision. During conversion, hand brake cables also need to be changed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 3261562)
I suppose the fluid pressure should be different for disc and drum brakes
If the current fluid pressure is high after disc conversion, wheel tend to lock and ABS will get activated often (in case of vehicle equipped with ABS)

Experts, please clarify.

Not exactly. Rear disc brakes always came with Hand brake provision. During conversion, hand brake cables also need to be changed.

NO hand brake issue.
Option A,
!. If its a retrofit. ( Complete parts & hardware plus hand brake cable.)
2. Using other car rear disc brake unit. hand brake cable adaptation.

Option B,
Hand brake issue. Yes.
1. Front disc unit used for rear disc brake conversion. ( Can be modified, spending few hours in lathe shop.)

Regarding fluid, many manufacturer have stopped using Dot 3, It's Dot 4 or synthetic.
My thoughts,
Cars having ABS should work fine, All four wheels fluid pressure is monitored from a single point,
Cars having non ABS, as you say will have pressure difference.Can be rectified by adjusting pressure valve. Found behind rear suspension in many cars.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:

Originally Posted by narendra.vw (Post 3261681)
Option B,
Hand brake issue. Yes.
1. Front disc unit used for rear disc brake conversion. ( Can be modified, spending few hours in lathe shop.)

Just thinking a life without handbrake :Shockked:
I hope no one will go for this option when there is an alternate available with handbrake