Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 13:27   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post
Highly appreciate your response! This is the info. I was looking for. To buy something from Metro, Yeswantpur someone told me we need to have a membersip card or something and buy in bulk? Is it true - or can I just walk in and buy from there?

If yes - I just might stock all car accesories needed by me from there.
Yes you need a membership card, I do not know the procedure how to get one, but you have to be in some sort of business profession.
And your minimum purchase should be of Rs.1000, Its Not necessary to buy in bulk, Car care stuff can be bought individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas9446 View Post
Oh ! GUYS !

i am really confused & dis oriented after reading this....anybody please let know how to keep the cars tidy ,clean and spots free...SHAMPOO IT, POLISH IT, WAX IT or what? will somebody give a clear procedure .....to keep the car, as if its just delivered from the production line !!!! please somebody write a clear cut PROCEDURE , it will help everybody !
You just need to shampoo wash it and wax it THATS IT! Take out polishing from your head.

Spray water on the car with a pipe to loosen dust and mud particles, use two buckets, One with shampoo solution and the other one to rinse your wash mitt. Buy a nice chenille wash mitt, Dip it in the soap solution, rub the car gently with the wash mitt, Rince the mitt in clear water, Repeat the process to the entire car, Now dry the car with a soft cotton cloth or a chamios cloth, Now wax the car when it is completely dry and remove it with a microfiber cloth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Damn I need to check my bottle too. I got Formula 1 from a SPAR shelf. Will post pics tomororw. Lemme know then if I have a genuine product in my hand. Thanks!
[quote=Roy.S;1474803]Not quite. I saw cans of 'FormulaUSA' in SPAR, K'mangala with importer's stickers. I'm now so paranoid that I avoid all Formula products. Pity, because I've heard that the genuine stuff is pretty good.

Check these links:

Formula USA Car Wax Polish Complaints - Poor Quality Duplicate Product

Formula USA Car Wax Polish Complaints

The original one should look like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-img_5680.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-img_5682.jpg  

Old 10th September 2009, 14:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Gents , When I checked last time in Spar Koramangla it was Formula 1 and not Formula U.S.A and looked genuine , The prices were inline with Formula 1 in USA ( not outrageously priced like 200%) I do not remember about importers label. Spar is a dutch supermarket chain so may import products directly rather through some distributor here. Any reason to belive that they are duplicate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Polish....Wax, it's all the same isn't it?

NO!

with respect to your hard work and experience i would like to comment on your reply that you have confused your reply with compounds, polishes and waxes!

Polishing is how your car gets a shine. Waxing is what protects that shine. If you are relying on wax to GIVE your car a shine, then you are short-changing your car's finish.
With all due respect Parm polish is both a noun and a verb. IMHO In the earlier post it was used as a verb.
The Merriam-webster online gives following meaning of Polish (v)

transitive verb 1 : to make smooth and glossy usually by friction : burnish
2 : to smooth, soften, or refine in manners or condition
3 : to bring to a highly developed, finished, or refined state : perfect

Quote:

you just cannot POLISH a car once a month, but you can certainly WAX your car once a month!
So yes you can polish the car using wax or even without anything just by a soft cloth everyday ( polish is a verb here)

Quote:

waxpol is good enough for amby, PAL fiat, maruti, tata, MM vehicles ONLY!
Why exactly ? What if Waxpol has high concentration of Carnuba wax and Maruti , Tata , Mahindra uses same paint from DuPont / Sand-ox and same steel flats as Merc , BWM or Ferrari ?

Polish / wax applicability is function of surface and body shell not on what is under the hood or the price tag of the vehicle.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:15   #18
BANNED

I am not surprised, since we have fake everything. Also, please remember the bulk of India lives in places which do not have these fancy places like Metro!
Old 10th September 2009, 16:27   #19
BHPian

Thanks for so much of useful information and sharing your thoughts.

After giving up on getting any original wax - one day I just walked into the Shell petrol pump mini-store, after getting my car filled up from there, and noted 'MotoMax' car polish by Pidilite, and to my pleasant surprize it mentioned carnauba wax as an ingredient. For once I could trust this purchase as original and have been very happy with the results.
(Heard the name of the car polish/wax for the first time but with Shell+Pidilite endorsement there was no worry of the purchse)

I polished my car with it and the resulting shine left me beaming with joy.

I used a 100% cotton soft cloth to apply and a separate similar one to buff it. I noted that while applying the polish the cloth turned the same color as that of the car ... so what exactly happened, does it mean - another 2 years (or so) of use of the same wax, once every month will take off all the paint and I will have to get the car replained?

Link to the car wax is here:
Pidilite

Sharing the picture of my car top (zen) taken immediately after polishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-motomaxed.jpg  

Old 10th September 2009, 18:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I would avoid using it. At least not frequently. Very few product details are given... and it does not explicitly say its abrasive, but from your experience and also the fact that it mentions "polish" on the container, makes one assume its abrasive. Please consider better products like Turtle hard shell, 3M liquid, etc.
Old 10th September 2009, 20:30   #21
BHPian

I have the same experience with Formula 1. I tried it once and nothing big to write about the shine. Am sure it is a fake. Since then i have been scouting around to buy a genuine product. Called up a turtle wax distributor and they dont sell anymore. And i dont want to buy formula 1 anymore because i am quite positive it will be a fake. So a different brand it will be for me. Any suggestions on any place in bangalore where original wax can be purchased? Am thinking about Meguiars and Turtle wax.
Old 10th September 2009, 21:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
I have the same experience with Formula 1. I tried it once and nothing big to write about the shine. Am sure it is a fake. Since then i have been scouting around to buy a genuine product. Called up a turtle wax distributor and they dont sell anymore. And i dont want to buy formula 1 anymore because i am quite positive it will be a fake. So a different brand it will be for me. Any suggestions on any place in bangalore where original wax can be purchased? Am thinking about Meguiars and Turtle wax.
Check meguiar's india website for distributors in India, The meguair's tech wax is priced at 1700Rs.

Check my review on the abel auto(turtle wax) liquid wax:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1470217

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1468796
Old 10th September 2009, 21:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Gents , When I checked last time in Spar Koramangla it was Formula 1 and not Formula U.S.A and looked genuine .....Any reason to belive that they are duplicate ?
I was at SPAR 2 weeks back and found tins of Formula USA mixed up with the Formula1 tins. And both bore the same importer's stickers. How this happens I have no idea. I rarely visit Spar, but will click a pic next time I'm there.
The good thing was that they also had the complete range of 3M car care products. I picked up the liquid wax and plast shield.
Old 10th September 2009, 21:37   #24
BHPian

Indian products

My 2 bits, the safest bet will be to buy something Indian (manufactured in India) and locate the office and find out the dealer from them. I did the same way and rather than going to the dealer, I hit the company stockyard and picked up whatever I want; I am very happy with the products and guess what, I got a price that the dealers actually get from the company which is around 40% discount on the MRP. Also because I have created a relation with the company person, I get a lot of free samples in return of the faith I have shown in them.

My experience is very good I would continue to be patron of Indian products. Once again this is my personal view just shared to provide a perspective to all.
Old 11th September 2009, 18:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I was at SPAR 2 weeks back and found tins of Formula USA mixed up with the Formula1 tins. And both bore the same importer's stickers. How this happens I have no idea. I rarely visit Spar, but will click a pic next time I'm there.
The good thing was that they also had the complete range of 3M car care products. I picked up the liquid wax and plast shield.
Well, if they can counterfeit the container, whats to stop them from making copy of the importers label and sticking it to make it look more genuine?
Old 12th September 2009, 00:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Raccoon, thanks for the valuable advice for Armour All, you saved my 450 bucks. I was tempted to buy it that very moment, but somehow changed my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas9446 View Post
Oh ! GUYS !

i am really confused & dis oriented after reading this....anybody please let know how to keep the cars tidy ,clean and spots free...SHAMPOO IT, POLISH IT, WAX IT or what? will somebody give a clear procedure .....to keep the car, as if its just delivered from the production line !!!! please somebody write a clear cut PROCEDURE , it will help everybody !
Check the following posts:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1406014

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1407583

Do surf through the rest of the thread, very informative.

Also check this video on Youtube for Do it Yourself Waxing.
Old 12th September 2009, 13:25   #27
BHPian

When it comes to Car Wax/Polish. I've been hearing and experiencing the same story for a while now. The fake stuff is available everywhere.

I myself bought a 'formula 1' wax box from Big Bazaar here in Pune. One coat on the car and I knew this was a fake. I went around the car accessory shops around here and still wasn't convinced of any product they stocked as genuine. Especially since some of the products were named 'Son of a Gun'. Apparently this one was from a famous manufacturer called STP from USA.

What next? I quietly walked into a Maruti Accessory shop and asked them what they use to polish the cars while in servicing, they said they use their own Maruti Genuine Accessories. I went right ahead and purchased that.

The product is a Automotive Body Polish and is packed and sealed with an MGA stamp. I guess I can trust this buy...
Old 12th September 2009, 16:25   #28
BHPian

I just got this 3M Premium Wax-Liquid from the Shell outlet. Seems to be original, but am not sure how good it is. Havent tried it yet. And it costs only 90/-.
Anyone have any experience with this product? Here is the link to the product on the 3M site.
3M India: Premium Wax Liquid
Old 12th September 2009, 20:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
When it comes to Car Wax/Polish. I've been hearing and experiencing the same story for a while now. The fake stuff is available everywhere...
Gawd... it can't be so difficult to buy a genuine product!! In fact its not... as I mentioned before, I'v never had a fake offloaded on me. And don't you guys ever take the fake stuff right back to the shop and demand a refund??? Create a scene if necessary!!! Places like Big Baazar and other malls surely shouldn't be getting away with this!

Since your location shows Poona, I suggest you try getting stuff from the following places -

Geeta Car Accessories (or something similar) on JM rd, approx. opp. Sambhaji Park. Got a genuine Turtle Wax from there recently.

Regal Car something... at the begnining of Laxmi rd. Its almost next to Kulkarni/Premier petrol bunk. (for F1 Carnuba)

Swami Raj Automobiles on Tilak Road, opp. SP college. (3M liquid wax)

Aru something, approx below the Paud Road flyover. (Many brands).

Please use your discretion... don't just buy blindly because I have recommended these places. Also, impress on the shop that you will definitely return the stuff if found to be spurious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
I just got this 3M Premium Wax-Liquid from the Shell outlet. Seems to be original, but am not sure how good it is. Havent tried it yet. And it costs only 90/-.
Anyone have any experience with this product? Here is the link to the product on the 3M site.
3M India: Premium Wax Liquid
90 bucks?? I got it for Rs. 80 recently, and that is the printed MRP... unless they have hiked it recently. It is one of the better products and good for regular use.

Last edited by Raccoon : 12th September 2009 at 20:38.
Old 12th September 2009, 22:44   #30
BANNED

I have been using Waxpol for last 10 years. I am pretty happy with it. The dry one take longer time but lasts longer than the liquid one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks