Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 23:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
im sure if 3M comes to india with these products of the whole car care and performance products, then all other products will take a big beating!

here is a preview!
Now, tell me when are you setting up a detailing center in Delhi NCR?
Old 19th September 2009, 18:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Now, tell me when are you setting up a detailing center in Delhi NCR?
NOIDA is my choice as plenty of land/workshop space is available and its not as wide spread as delhi is!

and i expect people from south delhi too as clients!
Old 19th September 2009, 22:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i expect people from south delhi too as clients!
I'm in for your venture, a South Delhiite, near to UP 16. But when do you plan to start?
Old 19th September 2009, 22:29   #64
Senior - BHPian

Count me in as a client!

btw I too realized that the 'carnuba' wax my dad had bought locally(2-3yrs ago) is fake!! :(

Really great and informative thread
At least I got to know that the shops around my home don't have anything genuine
Old 19th September 2009, 22:53   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ I would avoid using it. At least not frequently. Very few product details are given... and it does not explicitly say its abrasive, but from your experience and also the fact that it mentions "polish" on the container, makes one assume its abrasive. Please consider better products like Turtle hard shell, 3M liquid, etc.
Absolutely. For waxing, I'll stay away anything whrere Polish, abrasive, rubbing compund, cleaning agents etc are remotely mentioned. More details in my posts in below threads

Old 20th September 2009, 01:47   #66
BHPian

Thanks for the offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Sounds like an interesting little test, why not use a bit of masking tape and split the bonnet into 3 or 4 test bases. Use turtle wax, collinite, waxpol and maybe F1 and then see which is the winner.

If you can't get any collinite drop me a PM with your full address etc and on my next trip to India I will send you a tin.
I already have done these tests for all the brands mentioned here except for Collinite and Turtle over the past 28 years. None of the ones I have tested come close to the cheap and awfully packaged
Waxpol cake. Even the costly ones from Waxpol company stand no chance to the cheaper one. The costly ones from their company do not water bead for more than a 4 weeks. It is the cheapest one thats the best in their lineup which is water beading for the past 6 months and counting.

Thanks for the offer for Collinite. I will be doing a search for it on Monday.
Old 21st September 2009, 10:50   #67

Some of you guys mentioned Yeshwantpur Metro in Bangalore to be a reliable source for genuine Formula 1 products. I happened to be there for some other errand, and took this pic below! The 'fake' stuff was neatly arranged with the 'regular' product. When asked, the attendant said the whole lot was sourced from the same supplier, and he was 'unware' of any of the tins being 'fake'.

Guess this is a full-blown fake polish racket!

Attached Thumbnails
Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-dsc00021.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2009, 23:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Guys, take a look at my Car Care stuff.

The 3M Liquid Wax I have is a black bottle which retails for 80 bucks and what 3M's India website has is a white bottle. Link to pic given due to copyright reasons http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/3MCon...bute=ImageFile
Any ideas why is this so? Moreover, this liquid wax is very effective in removing paint marks caused due to bruises against another vehicle/ body.

The Finesse-It rubbing compound is not mentioned on 3M's website. Anywhere in Delhi, if you ask for these products you get what I have and not what is shown on the website. The address given on the products is Plot No.48-51, Electronic City, Hosur Road, Bangalore.

The Ultimate Formula Scratch Remover is a completely useless product. The website mentioned on the bottle Ultimate Formula - Car Care Products says it's under construction.

The Formula 1 Wax mentioned in the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1475503 has the expiry date mentioned whereas my'n and another BHPian's box doesn't mention the same or the importers address.

The Robert's Bumper Black is of Pidilite and has been bought on experimental bases just because Waxpol Vinyl and Leather Polish attracted a lot of dust. I got this and Formula 1 Wax for 200 bucks.

Raccoon, is the 3M liquid wax the same you talked about?
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-220920092090.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-220920092091.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-220920092092.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-220920092093.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-220920092094.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-220920092095.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-220920092096.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-220920092097.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2009, 01:10   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post

Raccoon, is the 3M liquid wax the same you talked about?
Ya, I have the same black bottle. When I bought it, I was apprehensive that it might be spurious, as the bottle on the 3M site is white with a different label. But it seem they have 2 diffrent liquid wax products. The stuff in the white bottle is supposed to have UV protection, etc. The stuff in black does not have those frills. But besides that, its good stuff... in the sense that it leaves a good shine that lasts a few weeks.

If anybody has tried both the black and the white bottle, please do mention your comparative opinion.
Old 23rd September 2009, 01:13   #70
BHPian

??

@ PARM

I have bought a new Maruti SX4 2 months ago. I was aware of the differences between wax' and polish's but only to an extent. I was worried about the car being scratched or the paint loosing its gloss and sheen over time. I tend to hold on to my cars for atleast 5 years and in some cases more.

To protect the paint of my new car I bought a Formula 1 metallic car polish which I have now realized is suicidal for the new car. Although I have used it twice I am getting a wee-bit worried now.
The Car Accessory shop owner told me that this a combination of both wax and polish hence this alone would do the job.

I want to know what should I do to protect the paint of my car & what procedure is to be followed??
I did get the Teflon Coating (Brand: FUCOT) done from the Maruti dealer.
Old 23rd September 2009, 07:58   #71
BHPian

You are right even I noticed that the wax polish that I had was missing the expiry date and had the made in USA tag in the flag. This is also another sign to identify a fake one. I think these 2 signs are the best way to identify a spurious Formula 1 car wax. My shop keeper has agreed to refund the money as he was under the impression that it is a genuine product. All of us should take it back and at least make an attempt to have it refunded and avoid these spurious products from Cheap Chinese

[quote=tsk13;1496859]Guys, take a look at my Car Care stuff.

The Formula 1 Wax mentioned in the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1475503 has the expiry date mentioned whereas my'n and another BHPian's box doesn't mention the same or the importers address.
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:33   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
@ PARM

I have bought a new Maruti SX4 2 months ago. I was aware of the differences between wax' and polish's but only to an extent. I was worried about the car being scratched or the paint loosing its gloss and sheen over time. I tend to hold on to my cars for atleast 5 years and in some cases more.

To protect the paint of my new car I bought a Formula 1 metallic car polish which I have now realized is suicidal for the new car. Although I have used it twice I am getting a wee-bit worried now.
The Car Accessory shop owner told me that this a combination of both wax and polish hence this alone would do the job.

I want to know what should I do to protect the paint of my car & what procedure is to be followed??
these days polish/wax/car shampoo are coming as 3in1 or 2in1. also people have started using polish and wax in the same context, so there is hardly any difference in the terms being used.

anyway you could buy a car shampoo which is combined with a wax or have a separate shampoo and wax. leave the polish part separately.

if you already have Fucot coating done to your car, they must have given you a time schedule for re-applcation once a year or 6 months, stick to it!

inspite of having the coating i would not advice you getting your car polished every now and then. but you can always wash it with a good car shampoo and wax it regularly as and when you feel the requirement is there.

Wash you car with a good brand car shampoo and use a sponge for that purpose and not a dirty cloth.

after washing you can apply 2-3 thin layers of good brand wax on your car.

remember to wash the car in shade and also when you apply wax, it should be under shade. never wash or wax your car exposed to sun!
There is no standard answer regarding how often you should wax. always use a wax with UV protection.there are many things that influence the life of the wax applied on your car

Type of paint
Condition of paint
Local environment (hot weather, rain, dust, sand, cold weather etc)
Number of hours exposed to outside conditions
Quality and type of wax applied
Quality of wash solution used to wash

whichever product you decide to choose, the important point it is to begin a regular cycle of car care and stick to it.
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:02   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
the safest & most conservative way is to stay away from anithing which is polish/ rubbing/ cleaning agents & instead use only PURE WAX every month. It'll require an effort, burnt some callories but the result would be fantastic !
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:20   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownears View Post
Some of you guys mentioned Yeshwantpur Metro in Bangalore to be a reliable source for genuine Formula 1 products. I happened to be there for some other errand, and took this pic below! The 'fake' stuff was neatly arranged with the 'regular' product. When asked, the attendant said the whole lot was sourced from the same supplier, and he was 'unware' of any of the tins being 'fake'.

Guess this is a full-blown fake polish racket!
This is insane, You should have gotten in touch with the higher authorities. I'll do that when i visit Metro the next time.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:15   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if you already have Fucot coating done to your car, they must have given you a time schedule for re-applcation once a year or 6 months, stick to it!

inspite of having the coating i would not advice you getting your car polished every now and then. but you can always wash it with a good car shampoo and wax it regularly as and when you feel the requirement is there.

Wash you car with a good brand car shampoo and use a sponge for that purpose and not a dirty cloth.

after washing you can apply 2-3 thin layers of good brand wax on your car.
Whats the point in spending $ for the coating and then still go back and keep waxing?? If the coat of whatever has been applied is really there, I'd wonder if again rubbing wax on it might actually do harm. Time and effort is another issue. As for applying several coats, there was this interesting point on the bottle of one of the polish/wax products I'v used, it went something like - its pointless to try to have a very thick coat, or even multiple coats. Only a thin contiguous layer is what is desirable. Thicker coat in fact may not last anyway.

I find all this coating business, Teflon or otherwise, pretty dubious. Its difficult to tell if the layer is even still there; and the benefits in time cannot be tested by a lay person. A DIY wax/protectant job at frequent intervals is what I'd vote for.

Most Viewed