Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Whats the point in spending $ for the coating and then still go back and keep waxing?? If the coat of whatever has been applied is really there, I'd wonder if again rubbing wax on it might actually do harm. Time and effort is another issue. As for applying several coats, there was this interesting point on the bottle of one of the polish/wax products I'v used, it went something like - its pointless to try to have a very thick coat, or even multiple coats. Only a thin contiguous layer is what is desirable. Thicker coat in fact may not last anyway.

I find all this coating business, Teflon or otherwise, pretty dubious. Its difficult to tell if the layer is even still there; and the benefits in time cannot be tested by a lay person. A DIY wax/protectant job at frequent intervals is what I'd vote for.
indian market in terms of paint protection coating/sealants is still in development stage and many smaller companies are making lots of $$ by encashing the 'Teflon' name!

and im sure that none of these companies selling 'Teflon' coating are not selling the right product or application!

thats the one single important reason i tell people not to go for these kind of coating from any unknown brand other than premium multinational brands.

also thats why i suggested a coat of wax once a month to meglav on his new SX4.

im sure most of the well known wax brands will always guide you to apply multiple thin layers of wax rather than one thick coat once a month or depending upon the car being exposed to weather elements.

multiple thin layers of wax ensures a proper coverage and application of wax onto the paintwork rather than a single thick layer.

i also prefer giving my car a clay treatment once in 2-3 months and a nice multi-layer of meguiar's wax. yes it also helps burn some calories too!
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

All this Teflon/coating story is pretty much like the story of the emperor with invisible clothes...

And man... even after so many years, people still fall for invisible clothes!
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya, I have the same black bottle. When I bought it, I was apprehensive that it might be spurious, as the bottle on the 3M site is white with a different label. But it seem they have 2 diffrent liquid wax products. The stuff in the white bottle is supposed to have UV protection, etc. The stuff in black does not have those frills. But besides that, its good stuff... in the sense that it leaves a good shine that lasts a few weeks.

If anybody has tried both the black and the white bottle, please do mention your comparative opinion.
Raccoon, I request you to describe the Waxing process using 3M Liquid Wax. As unlike paste wax, it does not require a second buff to enhance the shine and to do away with the paste swirls.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Dude, I just follow the instructions on the bottle. Before that I wash using F1 shampoo cum wax and let it dry (all in shade).
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:56   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Raccoon, I request you to describe the Waxing process using 3M Liquid Wax. As unlike paste wax, it does not require a second buff to enhance the shine and to do away with the paste swirls.
we call it PLW (premium liquid wax)!

the only difference between PLW and hard/paste wax (turtle wax, formula1 etc) is the ease of application.

DIY people love to use the hard/paste wax and professional detaling shops use the PLW for quick application and finish more cars!

PLW can also be buffed off by using an orbital buffing machine where as hard/paste wax is mostly used by hand only!

PLW doesnt require a special application process, it is applied after you finish rubbing/compoundin>polishing>PLW (in that scequence)!

after you apply it with a sponge or a clean dry cloth on paintwork, leave it to haze and buff it off with a machine or hand!

Old 24th September 2009, 14:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Raccoon and Parm, you guys are too good. So, this Sunday the car will be getting its first Wax treatment post washing by Formula 1 Car shampoo.
Old 24th September 2009, 15:59   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raccoon and Parm, you guys are too good. So, this Sunday the car will be getting its first Wax treatment post washing by Formula 1 Car shampoo.
you are welcome anytime for any kind of info you want for paint care and paint rejuvination!

Old 24th September 2009, 17:26   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad I could help. Btw, shampoos with wax like F1 are supposed to have less cleaning ability than ones that are dedicated shampoos. So if you are going to wax your car right after the wash, you might want to look for dedicated cleaning shampoos (eg. Sonax). Personally, I haven't tried or compared them... but you could. I'v only used F1 and Waxpol till date, which are both of the same catageory (shampoo+wax).
Old 24th September 2009, 22:35   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
you are welcome anytime for any kind of info you want for paint care and paint rejuvination!

Thanks a lot buddy.

Quote:
Glad I could help. Btw, shampoos with wax like F1 are supposed to have less cleaning ability than ones that are dedicated shampoos. So if you are going to wax your car right after the wash, you might want to look for dedicated cleaning shampoos (eg. Sonax). Personally, I haven't tried or compared them... but you could. I'v only used F1 and Waxpol till date, which are both of the same catageory (shampoo+wax).
Raccoon, I was planning to head to Reliance Autozone in Gurgaon to see any other car care products but unfortunately won't be able to do so and in the vicinity Formula 1 is available in plenty, other better stuff is like a Kohinoor Diamond, hard to find.

And another information, Microfiber Kitchen cloth is told to be easily available at crockery stores. Is it advisable to use this for waxing?
Old 25th September 2009, 00:05   #85
Senior - BHPian

Cool, go ahead... its quite good, as long as you get a genuine bottle.

Sorry, won't comment about microfiber cloths. Not in the know about them, nor used one. Hopefully, Parm will be able to comment.
Old 25th September 2009, 00:08   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot buddy.

And another information, Microfiber Kitchen cloth is told to be easily available at crockery stores. Is it advisable to use this for waxing?
Those Sunny Deol and Sunil Shetty cotton vests you can buy make good polishing rags. They are nice and soft and leave a good finish.
Old 25th September 2009, 00:30   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot buddy.

you can use a sponge to apply the wax on the paint work and use microfibre to wipe it off after it has hazed!

i will tell you the reasons also>

sponge will never soak the wax and never become dry when you apply wax with it, so you never waste any wax!

on the other hand a cloth will become dry by soaking the wax and you will waste wax too!

Cheers!
Old 25th September 2009, 14:05   #88
BHPian

Hello Friends,
Thanks for bringing this to light,
I have just returned the Formula USA clone wax polish which I ordered from Imint today.
Kudos to the team -bhp experts.
Old 25th September 2009, 15:42   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Hello Friends,
Thanks for bringing this to light,
I have just returned the Formula USA clone wax polish which I ordered from Imint today.
Kudos to the team -bhp experts.
Nice to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
you can use a sponge to apply the wax on the paint work and use microfibre to wipe it off after it has hazed!

i will tell you the reasons also>

sponge will never soak the wax and never become dry when you apply wax with it, so you never waste any wax!

on the other hand a cloth will become dry by soaking the wax and you will waste wax too!

Cheers!
Thanks. The advice is wonderful, lets see how good I do it, it's my test now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Those Sunny Deol and Sunil Shetty cotton vests you can buy make good polishing rags. They are nice and soft and leave a good finish.
Hehe. I'm having Dhoti also, got it from Spares shop for 10 bucks, plenty of cloth.

Quote:
Cool, go ahead... its quite good, as long as you get a genuine bottle.

Sorry, won't comment about microfiber cloths. Not in the know about them, nor used one. Hopefully, Parm will be able to comment.
Thanks. I'll be checking the availability of the same in the market.
Old 28th September 2009, 16:04   #90
BHPian

Any reviews or comments about Eagle 1 NANOWAX.
I saw one at Elegant, Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi. It had the importers sticker and was available for Rs. 700/-

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-nanowax.jpg

Image Source: NanoWax<sup>®</sup>

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks