Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 00:52   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
But then How does one clean the car on a daily basis ???

My cleaner generally uses two buckets of water, the first bucket is used to wash the car by throwing water on it using a mug.
(To loosen the dust particles, Bird droppings and preventing swirl marks while he uses the cloth.)

Then he uses the second bucket and a yellow cloth (available at traffic lights) to wipe it dry. Is this correct??
a car should be cleaned by a dry cloth on a daily basis, no need to wash it on a daily basis!

with a good coat of wax on it, a wet wash can be avoided for a week or 10 days!

yellow cloth was used when there was no micro fibre cloth! switch to a sponge for shampooing a car.

car should always be washed with sponge as it will not cause scratches even if there are some dust particles left on the car body.

a chamois or dhoti cloth/micro firbe cloth should be used to dry a vehicle after washing.

a micro fibre cloth should always be used to remove wax or for cleaning the dash or for cleaning the glass. because it doesnt leave behind any streaks and is lint free.

use half a bucket to loosen the dust etc from the car and then shampoo the car with other half.

use 2nd bucket to rinse the vehicle and then it off. bird droppings or tree sap should be removed with in 1-2 days to avoid getting the paint eaten into by the acid present in the bird droppings!

Last edited by Parm : 12th October 2009 at 00:54.
Old 12th October 2009, 01:04   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
a car should be cleaned by a dry cloth on a daily basis, no need to wash it on a daily basis!
Dry cloth on dusty surface is a damn cool way of massacring the finish!
Old 12th October 2009, 01:09   #123
BHPian

Quote:
use 2nd bucket to rinse the vehicle and then it off. bird droppings or tree sap should be removed with in 1-2 days to avoid getting the paint eaten into by the acid present in the bird droppings!

Thank You Sir, this will be the new procedure of cleaning my car.

AND

Sir, I have been looking for Micro-Fibre cloth all across Delhi & NCR, Could you please suggest a place from where I could source it. Or if possible give the names of the stores which might stock it. eg: Dept store, etc
Old 12th October 2009, 11:30   #124
BHPian

Quote:
But then How does one clean the car on a daily basis ???

My cleaner generally uses two buckets of water, the first bucket is used to wash the car by throwing water on it using a mug.
(To loosen the dust particles, Bird droppings and preventing swirl marks while he uses the cloth.)

Then he uses the second bucket and a yellow cloth (available at traffic lights) to wipe it dry. Is this correct??
Your cleaner is doing a good job, Tell him not to put pressure when he is wiping the car, Buy a wash mitt or a microfiber cloth for wiping down the dust

Quote:

with a good coat of wax on it, a wet wash can be avoided for a week or 10 days!

yellow cloth was used when there was no micro fibre cloth! switch to a sponge for shampooing a car.

car should always be washed with sponge as it will not cause scratches even if there are some dust particles left on the car body.

use half a bucket to loosen the dust etc from the car and then shampoo the car with other half.

A dry cloth is never recommended to clean a car, No matter how many layers of wax you have on your car, it is still going to create swirl marks.

Sponge is not recommended either, It doesn't have the tendancey to entangle dust particles, it drags the dust particles along the pint surface, A microfiber cloth or a wash mitt is highly recommended.

@Parm, If you do your wash method on a dark colored car, then you would be creating millions of swirl marks in one wash. I've refrained using such methods on my black car and there are hardly any swirl marks on the paint
Light colored car owners are just lucky to wipe with a dry cloth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Dry cloth on dusty surface is a damn cool way of massacring the finish!
+1

Quote:
Thank You Sir, this will be the new procedure of cleaning my car.
Please watch the video.

Quote:

Sir, I have been looking for Micro-Fibre cloth all across Delhi & NCR, Could you please suggest a place from where I could source it. Or if possible give the names of the stores which might stock it. eg: Dept store, etc
Just head into a food world or a super market and search in the kitchen section, They usually have 3M microfiber cloths, Or else try a reputed automobile store.

This is the perfect way to clean your car:

How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!)
Old 12th October 2009, 16:19   #125
Senior - BHPian

Guys, post-waxing can I use the orbital Polisher/ Electronic Polisher to buff the waxed body? And the Buff part of the Polisher, is it the same as Wash Mitt?

Moreover, Microfiber cloth is manufactured by Solo (The File guys, Filex Systems is the main company) by the name of Wonder Cloth widely available at Stationeries for Laptop cleaning purposes for MRP Rs.52. Here's the link: Welcome To Filex Systems Pvt Ltd .

And the foolish part of it, I'm having one with me for the past 5 months and use it for cleaning laptop and LCD with the solution. I bought the Laptop Cleaner pack and this cloth was mentioned as Lint Free Cloth and not Microfiber hence, such a stupidity on my part.

Last edited by tsk13 : 12th October 2009 at 16:22.
Old 12th October 2009, 18:39   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Guys, post-waxing can I use the orbital Polisher/ Electronic Polisher to buff the waxed body? And the Buff part of the Polisher, is it the same as Wash Mitt?

Moreover, Microfiber cloth is manufactured by Solo (The File guys, Filex Systems is the main company) by the name of Wonder Cloth widely available at Stationeries for Laptop cleaning purposes for MRP Rs.52. Here's the link: Welcome To Filex Systems Pvt Ltd .

And the foolish part of it, I'm having one with me for the past 5 months and use it for cleaning laptop and LCD with the solution. I bought the Laptop Cleaner pack and this cloth was mentioned as Lint Free Cloth and not Microfiber hence, such a stupidity on my part.
In the olden days, buffing/polishing after application of wax (Duco etc.) used to be a very laborious process.(the more you do the better) But with Formula 1 or 3M liquid, it is rather easy. Just wipe off the residue using a microfibre or banyan cloth. At least this is what I do and I do get very good result.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:33   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
A dry cloth is never recommended to clean a car, No matter how many layers of wax you have on your car, it is still going to create swirl marks.

Sponge is not recommended either, It doesn't have the tendancey to entangle dust particles, it drags the dust particles along the pint surface, A microfiber cloth or a wash mitt is highly recommended.

@Parm, If you do your wash method on a dark colored car, then you would be creating millions of swirl marks in one wash. I've refrained using such methods on my black car and there are hardly any swirl marks on the paint
Light colored car owners are just lucky to wipe with a dry cloth.
a dry cloth can be used to clean a car in case the car is not dirty enough. i always clean my car with a dry MF cloth and its fine, no swirl marks!

in case you are worried about the swirl marks, you can just pour water on the car from top to bottom and wipe it with MF cloth!

Black is the most beautiful colour to have on a vehicle, but most difficult to keep swirl marks free!

a Sponge is used for washing a car because the dirt particals get absorbed in the sponge and dont scratch the painwork, all our clients cars are washed with Sponge and not mits.

our client's cars are very exclusive like Bentley, Bugati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, SLR, R8, RR, Aston Martins etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-08072009286a.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-09072009288a.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 12th October 2009 at 21:38.
Old 13th October 2009, 02:54   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
In the olden days, buffing/polishing after application of wax (Duco etc.) used to be a very laborious process.(the more you do the better) But with Formula 1 or 3M liquid, it is rather easy. Just wipe off the residue using a microfibre or banyan cloth. At least this is what I do and I do get very good result.
Thanks. I'm using paste wax and Dhoti cloth for buffing.
Quote:
our client's cars are very exclusive like Bentley, Bugati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, SLR, R8, RR, Aston Martins etc.
Expecting exorbitant prices from your Noida outlet.

Moreover, please answer my query in the previous post; you must be having an answer to the use of Electric Buffer to buff the body post-wax.
Old 13th October 2009, 08:39   #129
BHPian

Its indeed scary, the fact that almost all products have their fake counterparts. Be it car accessories/parts, toileteries, phones, PC Chips, Currency notes, paints, groceries, spirited drinks, toys etc...name it and you will find a fake equivalent in market including medicines !!

I minimise the risk by trying to buy direct from mfr outlet or a leading store . Even then there are chances of fake products slipping through the supply chain by the distributors etc .

with regards to autoparts/accessories, I make a list and everytime I travel to UK/USA , I shop there. I heard there are fakes in those countries too, but not on the scale in India.

Ever thought of this, Imagine paying 10-15K for a branded K&N Apollo/ Pipercross/Simota or so, not knowing that it could be fake costing only 3-4K ! For that matter even the branded exhaust mufflers !!

I have seen conical filters costing only 800rs equivalent ! Could easily pass off as K&N or any other brand, by stamping the logo on to it !

Its a scary world...
Old 13th October 2009, 12:39   #130
Senior - BHPian

Right! Fakes of just about EVERYTHING are available now. Whats more fakes are getting more and more convincing. If this alarming trend continues, it seems there will be more fakes than genuine stuff. Lets brace ourselves for a fake world within a fake world...
Old 13th October 2009, 13:34   #131
BHPian

Quote:
a dry cloth can be used to clean a car in case the car is not dirty enough. i always clean my car with a dry MF cloth and its fine, no swirl marks!

in case you are worried about the swirl marks, you can just pour water on the car from top to bottom and wipe it with MF cloth!

Black is the most beautiful colour to have on a vehicle, but most difficult to keep swirl marks free!

a Sponge is used for washing a car because the dirt particals get absorbed in the sponge and dont scratch the painwork, all our clients cars are washed with Sponge and not mits.

Sponge absorbs water, True, but the dust doesn't gather up in the water, run a wet sponge on a dirty car and you'll notice that the dirt is just gathered up in the sponge only in a particular place(it is just carried not absorbed), Where as the wash mitt catches up all the dust particles in many of its strands. and will let go of the dirt only when it is rinsed.
You may not notice the difference in lighter colored cars, But when it comes to black you need the "extra" care like i mentioned.

Try using wash mitts on your "clients" vehicles to save the paint on those beauties.

Check this links:

Wash Mitt vs Sponge vs Brush - Cadillac Owners Group

Meguiar's and turtle wax do not manufacture sponges, they manufacture wash mitts and MF cloths.
Old 13th October 2009, 13:56   #132
BANNED

I have been using this Formula-1 wax for the past year on my car which is of black colour. It gives a good shine when done but it never lasts more than 3-4 days for me and I have wondered about it. I am surprised if these wax polishes are supposed to last more than a month in Bangalore traffic. I drive around some of the dustiest places due to flyover constructions and the car is smothered in a weeks time with dust and pollution.

I don't think the Formula-1 I bought was fake because I bought it from Spar but I still feel it should last for 2 weeks at least. Even then I only wax my car once a month or so but shampoo wash it once every week.

So would Meguiar be good? they come for around 1200 bucks.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:25   #133
Senior - BHPian

Well, the F1 I'v used definitely lasted much longer than 3-4 days.
Old 13th October 2009, 15:42   #134
BHPian

Though the box claims 12 months, for me it lasts 30 days well. May be since I rarely have to park in the open.
Old 13th October 2009, 18:11   #135
Senior - BHPian

Yes... 12 months is a pretty tall claim. It does not last anywhere even close to that. I dont know how they can make such tall claims. On the other hand it lasts much longer than 3-4 days. I guess around 30 days or so is the approx. time the better waxes available here (F1, Turtle, 3M) last.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks