Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 17:19   #1
BHPian

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India

Friends,

After reading several threads - I noted that TurtleWax and Formula 1 are among the top brands when it comes to carnauba wax based polishes for the cars.

However you may be surprized - that my at least half a dozen attempts to buy these waxes whether online from the biggest Indian online shopping portals or snazzy car accesories shops - got me fake products as quickly identified by my friends.

Even shopping malls like Big Bazaar stocking them are selling fake stuff - the name closely resembles the original one - logo is almost similar, same color combination but minor differences.

Sharing one such example (returned the product twice - as each time fake stuff was sent) is in the images below.

I think getting these from someone coming from USA is the best option.

Any idea if there are any showrooms selling original stuff in Delhi and Bangalore?

You could give addresses of showrooms with original stuff in other cities if it benefits anyone else.

I think in India it will take some time before we have genuine accesories easily available, as currently the fake ones outnumber them.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-fake_formula_11.jpg  

brilliantlights is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2009, 23:06   #2
BHPian

Even super markets like spar stock fake f1 products, The best place to buy f1 wax is Metro cash&carry yeshwantpur, All the products carry the legal importer's sticker, Price in INR and contact info. If you don't find the importer's sticker, Its fake!
akshay_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2009, 23:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Even super markets like spar stock fake f1 products, The best place to buy f1 wax is Metro cash&carry yeshwantpur, All the products carry the legal importer's sticker, Price in INR and contact info. If you don't find the importer's sticker, Its fake!

Highly appreciate your response! This is the info. I was looking for. To buy something from Metro, Yeswantpur someone told me we need to have a membersip card or something and buy in bulk? Is it true - or can I just walk in and buy from there?

If yes - I just might stock all car accesories needed by me from there.
Old 9th September 2009, 23:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Brilliantlights, this Formula USA is aping almost every good product of Formula 1. I'm stuck with one stupid Scratch Out of Formula USA which is non-effective.

By the way, I saw Armour All Liquid Wax in Karol Bagh, Delhi for 450 bucks.
Old 10th September 2009, 00:15   #5
BHPian

All these fancy ones are not up to the mark.

Whether we get the fake or the original International brands they do not compare to the trusted old hard wax polish from a small company in India called Waxpol. This company has far costlier polishing compounds but I can say with certainty that as far as water beading is concerned nothing compares to the cheap hard wax WAXPOL. You will ask why I am so cocksure about it. I am getting old now and from the age of 15-16 I have been polishing our cars once a month. I have experimented with nearly all polishes I could lay my hands on from India and abroad and in my experience the costlier compounds even from Waxpol do not stand a chance against their cheapest version. The costlier ones are cheaper to applyand buff out but they stop water beading sooner too. As an example: With Formula 1 I can finish the car in about 45 minutes flat. When using the hard wax Waxpol I need two sessions since my arms tire out and usually I require 3 and 1/2 to 4 hours( 2 and1/2 hours when I was much younger) to finish the same car. Both will water bead well for 1 month but since I am getting older the frequency of polishing has gone down and thats when I realized that water beading is acceptable for Formula 1 and 3M for about 45 days to 2 months after which a re-application is required but the hard wax coated car will water bead for at least 6 months and counting. Please note I am considering water beading as a parameter and not harmful ray reflectance and such. If you are willing to give your arms a work out just try half of your bonnet with Formula 1 or 3m and the other half with ordinary hard wax Waxpol and be pleasantly surprised with the result with the cheaper one.

Polish, Compound, Shampoo & Cleaner

The one I am talking about in the link is the one named Super Quality polish and believe me; the others in their line up even the costlier ones stand no chance against this polish which is made from pure Carnuba. Click on the link for its contents.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 10th September 2009 at 00:18.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2009, 00:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Whether we get the fake or the original International brands they do not compare to the trusted old hard wax polish from a small company in India called Waxpol. This company has far costlier polishing compounds but I can say with certainty that as far as water beading is concerned nothing compares to the cheap hard wax WAXPOL. You will ask why I am so cocksure about it. I am getting old now and from the age of 15-16 I have been polishing our cars once a month. I have experimented with nearly all polishes I could lay my hands on from India and abroad and in my experience the costlier compounds even from Waxpol do not stand a chance against their cheapest version. The costlier ones are cheaper to applyand buff out but they stop water beading sooner too. As an example: With Formula 1 I can finish the car in about 45 minutes flat. When using the hard wax Waxpol I need two sessions since my arms tire out and usually I require 3 and 1/2 to 4 hours( 2 and1/2 hours when I was much younger) to finish the same car. Both will water bead well for 1 month but since I am getting older the frequency of polishing has gone down and thats when I realized that water beading is acceptable for Formula 1 and 3M for about 45 days to 2 months after which a re-application is required but the hard wax coated car will water bead for at least 6 months and counting. Please note I am considering water beading as a parameter and not harmful ray reflectance and such. If you are willing to give your arms a work out just try half of your bonnet with Formula 1 or 3m and the other half with ordinary hard wax Waxpol and be pleasantly surprised with the result with the cheaper one.

The one I am talking about in the link is the one named Super Quality polish and believe me; the others in their line up even the costlier ones stand no chance against this polish which is made from pure Carnuba. Click on the link for its contents.
Polish....Wax, it's all the same isn't it?

NO!

with respect to your hard work and experience i would like to comment on your reply that you have confused your reply with compounds, polishes and waxes!

Polishing is how your car gets a shine. Waxing is what protects that shine. If you are relying on wax to GIVE your car a shine, then you are short-changing your car's finish.

you just cannot POLISH a car once a month, but you can certainly WAX your car once a month!

compounding and polishing is done with coarse rubbing compound which takes off few microns of your clear coat of paint work! and this process is done with machine buffer and not by hand! this process should be done once in 6-8 months depending upon how your car is exposed to natural elements! polishing every month IS harmfull for your paint work as it will make it thinner and thinner!

WAX can be applied every month irrespective of whether your car has been polished or not! and it can be applied after giving your car a quality washing

You need a true wax. The best ones have a high concentration of quality carnauba wax. Carnauba is made from a plant and is very hard in its natural state. There are several good ones on the market, Zymol, Meguiars, turtle wax,etc.

I have never seen a wax product that would last a full year. Don't rely on any product that claims it will last a year or more. To maintain your wax, plan on a quality wash every week or two, depending on conditions. Try to put a layer of wax on every third or fourth wash, using a fine polishing product when you see some haze or minor scratches.

The life expectancy of a coat of wax depends on many things:
1.How well the surface was prepared to accept the wax.
2.Local environment.
3.Condition of paint.
4.Number of hours exposed to outside conditions.
5.Quality of the wax used and method of application.
6.Quality of car wash used.

WAXPOL doesnt matches the quality of products like 3M, Meguair's, Turtle wax etc!

waxpol is good enough for amby, PAL fiat, maruti, tata, MM vehicles ONLY!
Parm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2009, 01:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Interesting! But for me a polish isn't just about water beading, but also UV protection at least. Given our very sunny climate, this is very important. Dunno how much that Waxpol will be good against that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post
Friends,

After reading several threads - I noted that TurtleWax and Formula 1 are among the top brands when it comes to carnauba wax based polishes for the cars.

However you may be surprized - that my at least half a dozen attempts to buy these waxes whether online from the biggest Indian online shopping portals or snazzy car accesories shops - got me fake products as quickly identified by my friends.
Sad but true. It seems fakes of almost EVERYTHING is available aplenty these days. Anyway, I wonder how you are getting saddled with so many fakes. I'v bought several polishes/shampoos/etc and have never once been fooled into buying a fake. I guess you just need to know where to buy it from... and mebbe be a li'l paranoid about it like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
By the way, I saw Armour All Liquid Wax in Karol Bagh, Delhi for 450 bucks.
Not good at all. Got their liquid polish couple months ago. Its called Wax and Polish or Wax and Shine or something. Seems genuine for sure, has importer's label and everything. At some 400 bucks its the most expensive polish/wax I'v bought and is the worst I'v used. Turtle Wax and 3M are cheaper and way better. F1 Carnuba is also good, but being abrasive, is not good for regular use.

Another really crappy polish I'v used is Waxpol's Silicon Polish. But at least that costs 1/4 of what Armour All costs.

Last edited by Raccoon : 10th September 2009 at 01:13.
Old 10th September 2009, 01:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
...If you don't find the importer's sticker, Its fake!
Not quite. I saw cans of 'FormulaUSA' in SPAR, K'mangala with importer's stickers. I'm now so paranoid that I avoid all Formula products. Pity, because I've heard that the genuine stuff is pretty good.

Quote:
Whether we get the fake or the original International brands they do not compare to the trusted old hard wax polish from a small company in India called Waxpol.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
I have never seen a wax product that would last a full year. .....
......waxpol is good enough for amby, PAL fiat, maruti, tata, MM vehicles ONLY!
True, even turtle wax hardshell lasted just under 4 months on my car. Perhaps, if you put on 3 coats (pretty much the whole can) making sure that one layer has dried completely before putting on the next, it could last for 8-9 months.
I've heard some good things about waxpol, but never tried it. Our resident car care guru Rudra Sen also considers it a good product. Read post #1 on the 'Aesthetics' thread. I think it would be quite a workout to wax your car with waxpol. Will pick up a can once my 3M liquid wax runs out.
Old 10th September 2009, 01:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Interesting! But for me a polish isn't just about water beading, but also UV protection at least. Given our very sunny climate, this is very important. Dunno how much that Waxpol will be good against that.

Not good at all. Got their liquid polish couple months ago. Its called Wax and Polish or Wax and Shine or something. Seems genuine for sure, has importer's label and everything. At some 400 bucks its the most expensive polish/wax I'v bought and is the worst I'v used. Turtle Wax and 3M are cheaper and way better. F1 Carnuba is also good, but being abrasive, is not good for regular use.

Another really crappy polish I'v used is Waxpol's Silicon Polish. But at least that costs 1/4 of what Armour All costs.
Polish....Wax, it's all the same isn't it?

NO!

Polishing is how your car gets a shine.
Waxing is what protects that shine.

If you are relying on wax to give your car a shine, then you are short-changing your car's finish.

polish will not give your car UV protection and water beading, its done by a wax!

stop using the word 'Polish' when you 'Wax' your car!

they are two different things!
Old 10th September 2009, 02:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes, yes... I know! You are right. Sorry, I ended up using the words interchangeably. But even the manufacturers are doing this. For eg. see my words about Waxpol's Silicon Polish which you have emphasised in bold - "Waxpol Silicon Polish". I believe this should be labelled "Waxpol Silicon Protectant" or something like that... since its neither wax nor polish.

Another slightly different eg.: the Armour All bottle I got is labelled Wax & Polish... implying it is both together!

In lay terminology, polish seems to be anything that lends ANY kind of shine. Not saying that is correct... but thats how the term is used.
Old 10th September 2009, 09:22   #11
BHPian

@Parm, you are correct, the process is first POLISH & then WAX, SHINE is a result of quality of POLISH applied, water beading is a result of quality of WAX applied, i find Sonax Polish + Eagle 1 nano wax a brilliant combination....
Old 10th September 2009, 09:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Not quite. I saw cans of 'FormulaUSA' in SPAR, K'mangala with importer's stickers. I'm now so paranoid that I avoid all Formula products. Pity, because I've heard that the genuine stuff is pretty good.
Damn I need to check my bottle too. I got Formula 1 from a SPAR shelf. Will post pics tomororw. Lemme know then if I have a genuine product in my hand. Thanks!
Old 10th September 2009, 10:11   #13
srinivas9446

Quote:

Oh ! GUYS !

i am really confused & dis oriented after reading this....anybody please let know how to keep the cars tidy ,clean and spots free...SHAMPOO IT, POLISH IT, WAX IT or what? will somebody give a clear procedure .....to keep the car, as if its just delivered from the production line !!!! please somebody write a clear cut PROCEDURE , it will help everybody !

Last edited by srinivas9446 : 10th September 2009 at 10:19.

Old 10th September 2009, 12:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post
To buy something from Metro,someone told me we need to have a membersip card or something and buy in bulk? Is it true - or can I just walk in and buy from there?
Yes one can't simply walk into Metro Cash & Carry without a Metro Card. One should have a Metro card to shop, Metro allows entry of 2 persons/card.
Also not all items are sold in bulk. Most of the car accessories one can buy as a single item

Last edited by sushrutha : 10th September 2009 at 12:49.
Old 10th September 2009, 13:03   #15
BHPian

What about Amway products? are they good?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks