Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: The best airfilters around..
K&N Air Filters 142 57.96%
Pipercross Air Filters 24 9.80%
Greencotton Air Filters 58 23.67%
Othes 21 8.57%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 14:09   #181
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
@pranavt, @CPH, @fastraj. How do you fit the long pipe onto a after market filter ? Any directions on this would be helpful ?

I am intending to buy a Green performance filter(round tapered) mainly with the intention to boost my low end rpm power.
Since I develop air intake revisions for a living I like to do/advise in a professional manner.

For this I would like to see the engine (a couple of pictures) and the cubic capacity of the engine.
Old 10th April 2010, 20:15   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
What are the internal and external diameters of the throttle body? If you don't know the answer, and assuming your car is an Aveo, contact wildchild4lyfe. I think he would have the answer to this question.
Yes its an AVEO 1.4 94 BHP engine car. I know wildchild4lyfe very well and have already obtained his recommendations ! HE has a K&N universal and a free flow too that I believe should have taken care of AVEO's inherent low rpm power issues. But I dont have any plans for the freeflow, atleast for now . Hence I am trying to see if it would be practical to achieve my objective of boosting low rpm power with an after market filter for now, though lot of users here claim only an insignificant difference post the filter installation !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Since I develop air intake revisions for a living I like to do/advise in a professional manner.

For this I would like to see the engine (a couple of pictures) and the cubic capacity of the engine.
Thanks for the offer to help me out ! Since I dont have a digital cam as of now, I request you to visit wildchild4lyfe's garage for the engine bay pic !

The Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 LS - wildchild4lyfe's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

Wildchild..Thanks in advance
Old 21st May 2010, 12:00   #183
BHPian

I am looking for Green Cotton Wind Filter for Swift Diesel. Yesterday, happened to check with Hot Tracks, BLR. They quote Rs.6400/- for Filter + Dynamization kit.
Extra 1000 bucks for labour+clamps. Not sure why so high.

Does this Green Cotton helps in low revvs?
Will it affect the FE?
Any other bhpians who have Green Cotton, please help.

Please suggest.
Old 21st May 2010, 12:16   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
I am looking for Green Cotton Wind Filter for Swift Diesel. Yesterday, happened to check with Hot Tracks, BLR. They quote Rs.6400/- for Filter + Dynamization kit.

Will it affect the FE?

Please suggest.
I have Green Filter on my getz.Paid 6500 only for the filter including Fixing charges.

From what I have experienced it doesnt help in low revs for getz.Not sure about swift.But at high end you can make out the difference.

As for mileage..It all depends on driving.With normal driving mileage may improve.With Moderate revs it will remain same and with full throttle and red lining the mileage will reduce by 3-5 kmpl.

Cheers
Old 21st May 2010, 12:42   #185
BHPian

Quote:

Will it affect the FE?

Please suggest.
So far I have not come across any filters that pep your lower rpm ! Even I am in the quest for such a filter ....stay away from hot tracks, instead try sourcing from Pete directly !
Old 21st May 2010, 12:49   #186
BHPian

Is there any real advantage with such filters? I am in doubt.
I asked some of the MASS. They said, stock filter is sufficient unless we are in for some serious racing.

Not sure why so much of hype. May be i use the money for better HU.
Old 21st May 2010, 15:16   #187
BHPian

hey guy which filter do you suggest for a 1.3lt engine for a gypsy
Old 21st May 2010, 15:33   #188
BHPian

Quote:
I asked some of the MASS. They said, stock filter is sufficient unless we are in for some serious racing.

No increase in power, only difference is the after market ones helps the engine breathe easier at high rpms above 4k. Also I doubt the filtering capabilities of these filters..

I don't like the intake noise, gets irritating on highways, I have moved to stock air filter, the piper cross (baleno) will be soon up for sale..
Old 21st May 2010, 15:38   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

I am using a Green Cotton replacement filter in my Pete'd Viva for 20K+ kms and i still havent found any major difference. I paid Rs.3200 for it.

Only advantages that i see are :-

1. No need for replacement at every service interval

2. It does not improve your low end grunt but, when you revv hard, there is a lovely sound that increases your harmone levels

3. It allows the car to breathe a little better due to the material used compared to the paper based filters

4. Using a performance filter does not affect the FE in any way. Infact, PF manafacturers claim it increases by 3-5% ( doubtful)

In short for a replacement filter, other than a feel good factor, dont expect great change to either your accelaration, performance or FE.
Old 21st May 2010, 16:34   #190
BHPian

@Mobike008, When you say the engine breathes better than paper based filters means fine dust particles can/may entire the ECU or engine.

I read about various after market air filters, replacement types, WAI and CAI types on a forum. It mentioned that in order to have a free flow air intake, the air passage restriction is lessened using alternative filter elements like felt, cotton, gauze, unlike paper which filters pollen, dust and particulate matter to the max. I have myself put a K&N conical on my Indica V2 LSi just 3 days back. I have not installed any piping or tubing, mounted the conical directly on the ECU intake.The engine has become very smooth, quicker starts, slight increase in FE but no sound change. Same grunt.

I wish to have some information from you, since you have it in your car. What happens if dust enters ECU?
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:35   #191
CPH
BHPian

Quote:

What is the meaning of 'sufficient'?

A well designed cotton gauze (sponges are much worse than paper elements) replacement filter does make a change. It does not only depend on the filter media how the element affects power.

A cotton gauze filter will make a difference. When people claim that they do not notice a difference then this is purely a subjective impression. Rolling road figures and acceleration test usually show otherwise.

To get a lot more bottom end grunt a properly designed induction kit is needed. This can't be achieved with just a filter on the throttle body.

One of the induction kits I have under test in a 1108cc engine has got the peak torque now shifted fromabout 3,000rpm to under 2,000rpm. The engine has got 2,03,000 km on the clock, was flushed, and re-mapped aprt from the induction and has got a peak torque of 97lb ft! The induction length is 1.2m before the throttle body.

On turbo Diesel's you aim for a inlet tract as short as possible before the turbo.
Old 25th May 2010, 18:56   #192
BHPian

@CPH:
Thanks for making me understand the objective.
When you say Induction Kit, is it similar to Dynamization kit fitted alongwith Green Cotton Filter.

If possible, please put some more info on the same.

I am looking for increasing the low grunt torque.
Old 25th May 2010, 19:24   #193
Senior - BHPian

Any idea whats the price of a K&N Apollo universal Filter? Does the flexible pipe come with the filter or is that an accessory?

http://www.hspnnews.com/images/uploa...ini_intake.jpg

Shan2nu
Old 26th May 2010, 12:26   #194
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
@CPH:
Thanks for making me understand the objective.
When you say Induction Kit, is it similar to Dynamization kit fitted alongwith Green Cotton Filter.

If possible, please put some more info on the same.

I am looking for increasing the low grunt torque.
The above mentioned is a universal application, which is not a dedicated intake. This suits the manufacturer, who doesn't need to have a lot of different kits to make, which makes the whole production process cheaper.

I design induction kits for a living and every kit is dedicated to an engine and model.

If you want to get the best out of it I can help you within reason with some pictures from the engine bay. Unfortunately a lot of the engines and models you have, we don't have in Europe, which makes a design much more difficult from the distance.
Old 26th May 2010, 12:27   #195
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Any idea whats the price of a K&N Apollo universal Filter? Does the flexible pipe come with the filter or is that an accessory?

http://www.hspnnews.com/images/uploa...ini_intake.jpg

Shan2nu
All the flexible pipe is good for is the bin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks