Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2009, 00:24   #1
BHPian

Sequential CNG Kit???

Hi Friends,
I have a 2001 OHC clocked 55k kms. Had a Santro 2002 with Closed Loop CNG Kit from Shrimankar. The Kit was originally an Open Loop, with which my car used to misfire alot. Later on converted it to a Closed Loop with Lambda and TAP. But again it gave me a hell lot of problems with CNG, which even the Hyundai guys nor the Shrimankar guys were able to solve. Finally sold off the car.

Now am thinking of installing BRC CNG kit, since the workshop is close to my residence. The CNG guy has offered a ADVANCED Closed Loop kit for 35k which consists of an extra ECM along with Lambda and TAP and claims that it is much more advanced than a conventional Closed Loop Kit.

Also there is SEQUENTIAL Kit for 65k. Now having suffered with the Closed Loop kit for almost 3 yrs, am thinking to go for SEQUENTIAL Kit, but am deterred because its almost double the price of the Closed Loop Kit.

I plan to keep my car for atleast 2-3 yrs more. So is it advisable to go for SEQUENTIAL KIT or shall i give a try for the ADVANCED Closed Loop Kit again?

Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah.
Old 27th September 2009, 09:57   #2
BHPian

Does your travel in 2-3 years justify going for a sequential kit? Or for that matter even any type of kit?
Old 27th September 2009, 16:17   #3
BHPian

Yes, i will use my car alot in the coming 2 years. It will run approximately 15k kms per year.
Old 28th September 2009, 07:34   #4
BHPian

Actually my OHC has clocked 55k kms and i plan to use her atleast upto 1 lac kms.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone had any experience with sequential CNG kits? I am confused between closed loop and sequential for my Palio?
Old 5th October 2009, 20:41   #6
BHPian

AFAIK Only Tata does the CNG Sequential job satisfactorily for Indica. As for the sequential kit its same as MPFI systems i.e. They are far more advanced as compared to normal kits. Sequential kits to normal kits is what MPFI is to carburettor.
However never heard about any fitters for sequential kit for Santro/Palio (though would love to have one).
The headers would be bored to make space for the gas injectors, and other modifications require lot of skill, So make sure that the fitter have an exact idea about the job he is undertaking else don't go for it.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

re: Sequential CNG Kit???

Guys any updates on these kits? Is this the best option? Any changes in technology?
Old 23rd June 2012, 07:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sequential CNG Kit???

I would suggest Lovato kit, have driven both BRC and Lovato kit vehicles and feel Lovato kits are more refined. The injectors have a life same as petrol/diesel injectors and spares are available easily. There is not much extra care required for the vehicle and normal servicing at 5/10 k interval is more than sufficient.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sequential CNG Kit???

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I would suggest Lovato kit, have driven both BRC and Lovato kit vehicles and feel Lovato kits are more refined. The injectors have a life same as petrol/diesel injectors and spares are available easily. There is not much extra care required for the vehicle and normal servicing at 5/10 k interval is more than sufficient.
Thanks!

Which car do you have it installed on?
Howmuch is the power loss?
Apart from the lower cost of the fuel itself is there any further improvement in efficiency?
Whats your cost of running now? (will be great of you can tell us howmany kms you get per 10kgs of CNG)
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:43   #10
BHPian

Kaushik i ve driven a swift and sx4 with non sequential kits, it is good for city use, highway runs you really feel the lack of power. The sx4 maxed out at 130-140 on the expressway with the ac on. The smaller the car (lighter) the lesser the loss in perception of power. A high revving bad low end honda may not be the right choice. I speak of normal kits never experienced a sequential.

The swift is about Rs2/km.
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Oops! I missed mentioning the fuel type, my accent runs on Lovato kit, brother in law has an i20 with BRC kit of course our cars are LPG vehicles. Lovato kits have more refinement at idle than BRC, performance wise also lovato is performing better, I dont see any difference in power between petrol and LPG. Almost all parts are common between LPG and CNG except tank in a sequential system. My car gives a FE of 12 to 13 in city and upto 15 on highways with AC. The i20 also delivers similar FE, cost wise also Lovato is cheaper than BRC kits. BRC only used to be a dealer for Lovato earlier and Lovato has 40 plus year experience in LPG/CNG kits. I also see more tuners and technicians for Lovato kits than BRC. That is why I recommended Lovato.

Last edited by deehunk : 23rd June 2012 at 10:47.
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Guys any updates on these kits? Is this the best option? Any changes in technology?
Hi KSM - What car are you planning to install the CNG kit on ? As of now, open loop for non-MPFI, closed loop and advanced closed loop for MPFI below 1.5L engines and Sequential kits for engines above 1.5L are preferred.

I've fitted a closed loop kit in my Zen. Please see my review in the link below-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-review.html

I see that you are at Bandra. Even I am based in Bandra. If you want to have a TD of CNG vehicle, you can TD my car.

Cheers,
Yogesh.
yogeshnagpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal

Hi KSM - What car are you planning to install the CNG kit on ? As of now, open loop for non-MPFI, closed loop and advanced closed loop for MPFI below 1.5L engines and Sequential kits for engines above 1.5L are preferred.

I've fitted a closed loop kit in my Zen. Please see my review in the link below-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-review.html

I see that you are at Bandra. Even I am based in Bandra. If you want to have a TD of CNG vehicle, you can TD my car.

Cheers,
Yogesh.
Not sure yet but I may do it on the city.

Hey that's a great gesture! Do let me know whenever it is convenient for you. Will pm you my phone number. Thanks a lot.
Old 28th June 2013, 11:55   #14
BHPian

My friend wants to get sequential kit installed in his Zen Estilo ( K-Series). He has enquired with different dealers and the price quoted varies between 31k to 42k. No the person selling for 42k says that the dealer selling for 31k would install 'chinese software' and we install original.
The kits with both of them are same ( TA/Lovato etc.)
The software point seems like a hogwash!
What to do you guys say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks