Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2018, 18:23   #1201
BHPian

Re: Jopasu Car Duster - A mini review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
After going through this thread and related threads, in a total dilemma about which car duster I should buy. A few years ago the clear answer was Jopasu. But seen a lot of comments on the forum and product reviews with complaints of low durability, linting and wax deposits. Some have recommended Roger, but not sure about the dust absorbing capacity of micro-fibre over a longer period. Don't want it to scratch the paint by moving the dust around. California duster selling at 1500 bucks on Amazon!!

Appreciate any advice on what would be the best option in the current scenario.

Hi D jay,

I am also facing the same Dillema. I was about to order Jopasu but just when I was about to order I thought of checking this thread. Now I am super confused.

I found california selling for 675 plus shipping on Amazon. Is it the right one or it’s fake. Anyone who can answer this?
Old 5th March 2018, 17:48   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi D jay,

I am also facing the same Dillema. I was about to order Jopasu but just when I was about to order I thought of checking this thread. Now I am super confused.

I found california selling for 675 plus shipping on Amazon. Is it the right one or it’s fake. Anyone who can answer this?
Quote:
After going through this thread and related threads, in a total dilemma about which car duster I should buy. A few years ago the clear answer was Jopasu. But seen a lot of comments on the forum and product reviews with complaints of low durability, linting and wax deposits. Some have recommended Roger, but not sure about the dust absorbing capacity of micro-fibre over a longer period. Don't want it to scratch the paint by moving the dust around. California duster selling at 1500 bucks on Amazon!!

Appreciate any advice on what would be the best option in the current scenario.
I have used both the dusters and I found my California duster to be infinitely more useful for a much longer time (it still is) than I had my Jopasu duster for. When I had purchased my Cali, after the Jopasu gave up (within 5 months of purchasing), the price difference was about Rs. 200 and was well worth it, in my opinion. I still use the Cali daily & it is picking up dust as well as on day 1 (nearly 8 months later) and has shown no signs of giving up.
In my opinion if you are able to get the Cali for less than 900 bucks, it is definitely a better option than Jopasu.
Make sure you follow the "curing" process with the Cali before using it though, if you do get one for yourself. Jopasu can be used straight away.
revvenant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 22:08   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
In my opinion if you are able to get the Cali for less than 900 bucks, it is definitely a better option than Jopasu.
Thanks for your suggestion! The California duster with wooden handle and probably better quality is around Rs. 1400-1500. There's another one at 600 with plastic handle and maybe smaller fibres. But the reviews on Amazon are mixed. And I am skeptical with the low price. Can you please clarify which is the one you are using.

Meanwhile amidst all the confusion and Roger's unavailability, I took a chance with Jopasu and made a mistake. Ordered one from Amazon (attaching pics after use) and so far am terribly disappointed. Even the brand new one takes multiple swipes to clean all the dust. And I can see streaks even after that. Plus it leaves behind fibres and wax-type deposits. It's best to use on very light dust at max. Sorry to say, but Jopasu quality has surely gone down the drain .

So now I am again evaluating between the Roger and California (600 bucks one).
Attached Thumbnails
Jopasu Car Duster - A mini review-img_0554.jpg  

Jopasu Car Duster - A mini review-img_0555.jpg  

Djay is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 00:12   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
The plastic and wooden handles are the only difference. I'd ordered the wooden one but returned it due to the additional weight, the plastic handle one IMO is better.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 12:00   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion! The California duster with wooden handle and probably better quality is around Rs. 1400-1500. There's another one at 600 with plastic handle and maybe smaller fibres. But the reviews on Amazon are mixed. And I am skeptical with the low price. Can you please clarify which is the one you are using.

Meanwhile amidst all the confusion and Roger's unavailability, I took a chance with Jopasu and made a mistake. Ordered one from Amazon (attaching pics after use) and so far am terribly disappointed. Even the brand new one takes multiple swipes to clean all the dust. And I can see streaks even after that. Plus it leaves behind fibres and wax-type deposits. It's best to use on very light dust at max. Sorry to say, but Jopasu quality has surely gone down the drain .

Hi, I am sorry you had to go through the same thing that I had to, if only I had seen your post a bit earlier . If you have already purchased the Jopasu and don't have the option of returning it, I will suggest you use it for now (instead of immediately going for another one).
I wouldn't use it on an extremely dusty car in the beginning. Wash the car thoroughly with water and shampoo (I use Formula 1 with carnauba wax). After that the amount of dust collected over 1 day (with standard running and environmental conditions, I suppose) is usually the maximum the Jopasu can remove with reasonable efficiency (you will still, probably, want to wash the car periodically to remove the wax deposits before they harden, when they become a whole lot tougher to remove). Linting is one thing that has historically gone away after 2-3 full wipes of the car.

5-6 months (depending on your usage) down the line when the Jopasu stops giving the results completely, then you can switch to another brand.

Be very careful: Do not use any of the dusters with wax in it, on the glasses, particularly the windshield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
The plastic and wooden handles are the only difference. I'd ordered the wooden one but returned it due to the additional weight, the plastic handle one IMO is better.
Since I have the one with the wooden handle, and haven't used the other, I will go with the harsh79's opinion (Amazon's pricing is sometimes really weird, so I wouldn't make that the benchmark for a product's quality). The varnished wood handle does look elegant though .

Good luck.

Last edited by revvenant : 12th March 2018 at 12:15. Reason: Incorrect usage of grammar in 2 places and and added comma for clarity
revvenant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 00:08   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I can see streaks even after that.
Did you by chance use it on a wet surface? Paraffin coated wax strands will streak if used on wet surface.

Quote:
Plus it leaves behind fibres and wax-type deposits.
A brand new duster will leave behind fibers initially for a few days. After regular use for a week or two; it will stop.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 01:02   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
The plastic and wooden handles are the only difference.
Thanks for confirming this! Can definitely consider the California duster now.

Quote:
Hi, I am sorry you had to go through the same thing that I had to, if only I had seen your post a bit earlier . If you have already purchased the Jopasu and don't have the option of returning it, I will suggest you use it for now (instead of immediately going for another one).

I wouldn't use it on an extremely dusty car in the beginning.

Be very careful: Do not use any of the dusters with wax in it, on the glasses, particularly the windshield.
No issues, Thanks for the advice! I think I can still return it to Amazon. Not decided though. Might keep it for my scooter and old car (and saving money otherwise paid to the washing guy ) or removing light dust on my newer car as you have mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Did you by chance use it on a wet surface? Paraffin coated wax strands will streak if used on wet surface.

A brand new duster will leave behind fibers initially for a few days. After regular use for a week or two; it will stop.
I used it on a completely dry surface. No wetness at all.
Thanks for informing that the linting might be a temporary phenomenon.
Djay is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 17:52   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Make sure you follow the "curing" process with the Cali before using it though, if you do get one for yourself.
Hi Rev. Thanks for mentioning the 'curing' bit. Request you to please explain what exactly is it, and how to go about it.

After months of drooling over the Cali, I ordered the one with the wooden handle today at Rs 899. With a cash back of Rs 50 or 100 that i may get, the price becomes slightly more attractive!

Eagerly waiting to use it once it reaches me in a day or two, and after 'curing' it as Rev has pointed out.

My faith in the Cali went up after I saw a team of detailing guys use it - these fellas normally would buy something cheap to save money, so if they bought a Cali, it indicates that the product is good and as per the delicious things it says on the packaging. Plus I had bought a microfiber duster 6 months back for Rs 600, and just after 4 months, it was clear that the initial effectiveness was not meant to last.

Looking out for my California Duster eagerly now
AjayJohri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 19:42   #1209
Distinguished - BHPian

California Duster, On such a winter's day...

(Allusion for the other oldies to recognise!)

And speaking of age, hasn't the California duster been around for ever? I'm sure I remember it from waaay back. Wait, I'll google...

(Answer, No. Only since 1989. Just quite a while.)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 10:39   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
- Unlike the Jopasu this is not usable 'straightaway' after you acquire it. There's a 'curing' process that'll last 2-3 days and will be slightly messy.
Can you elaborate on that process?
Old 3rd April 2018, 11:05   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayJohri View Post
Hi Rev. Thanks for mentioning the 'curing' bit. Request you to please explain what exactly is it, and how to go about it.
Hi Ajay and Jon, it's simply a way of getting rid of the excessive wax, which would otherwise cause deposits on your car, from the strands. You need to place the brush, strands down, on some newspaper. I put a thick bundle to avoid the possibility of the wax percolating and messing up the floor.
Don't worry about it, the brush will come with the instructions and all you need to do is follow it.

Just make sure you never, ever use it to clean your windshields.

Last edited by revvenant : 3rd April 2018 at 11:12.
revvenant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 10:54   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ajay and Jon, it's simply a way of getting rid of the excessive wax.
Hi Revvenant! Thanks for your inputs. The duster boy has reached me and I kept it exposed to room air for about 2.5 days. Didn't have the heart to keep it strands-down on the newspaper as I didn't want to risk the newspaper to suck out excess wax. Instead, I kept it on thepaper at an angle, and now it is back in its cover.

Today, I washed and waxed my car, and tomorrow on, the Cali will be put to work. I am keenly looking for some wow factor - fingers crossed!
Old 8th August 2018, 15:51   #1213
BHPian

For those willing to risk it (given recent concerning reports), the Jopasu Duster + Mini Duster combo available on Amazon (seller = Cloudtail) for only 682 INR.

I am personally afraid of trying it (despite the mouthwatering deal) - especially after some users have reported microscratches. Lower quality and longevity are bad, but excusable - the cars paint being damaged and the very purpose of a dry duster being defeated is inexcusable.

Would love to hear of more experiences of those with newer versions (especially those who can compare with older ones).

Last edited by Mu009 : 8th August 2018 at 15:51. Reason: Added some stuff.
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 18:15   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
This is very important advice. I made the mistake of using my Jopasu on the windshield and it badly affected visibility at night. Apparently, Jopasu leaves behind a thin waxy deposit which interferes with night visibility.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 23:48   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
This is very important advice. I made the mistake of using my Jopasu on the windshield and it badly affected visibility at night. Apparently, Jopasu leaves behind a thin waxy deposit which interferes with night visibility.
From my experience of using Jopasu Duster for 5 years; its mainly due to, when water/dew on windshield/metal comes in contact with paraffin wax coated strands.

Best way is to avoid using Jopasu Duster on wet/moist surface.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed