Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2017, 03:56   #226
BHPian

Auxiliary Lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
Thanks bro. This thread talks about the hella 3003 mainly. I am keen on knowing more about auxiliary lighting suitable for the conditions mentioned by me before. So please do keep me posted on more options if you come across any.
If your primary purpose is to use them for highway driving, then I would suggest HID Aux Lights as opposed to Halogen. You can get both spot and spread beam pattern on these lights - which will serve you well.

You would need a good spot/light throw for highway driving, especially as it would help you with your braking distances. We have Lightforce style 9 inch HID lights on our Thar and it works a treat.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-before-after-hid-lights.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-thar-pic-lightforce.jpg  

Raikkonen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 08:10   #227
BHPian

Re: Auxiliary Lamps

All of yo into auxiliary lamps please please please read up on CRI index and its effect on being able to see.
Old 5th February 2017, 12:53   #228
BHPian

I have fitted a pair of 4D spot beam cubes, on my Grand Vitara. Both were bought from Aliexpress. One cube is of 30W rating while the other has a 42W rating. Both have 4D optics with 10 degrees spot beam. The 42W cube is fitted on the LHS of the vehicle.
Auxiliary Lamps-spot-cube.jpg

In addition to the 4D spot subes, The vehicle has the following lights as OE:-
1. Fog lamps : 55W halogen. Bulb is old and I do not know the vintage or hours used.
2. Low Beam: 55W Phillips Extreme Vison+. Brand New.
3. High beam: 60W Phillips Extreme Vision. 1.5 years old. Used for about 80-100 hours.
Both the fog lamps and the spot cubes have a yellow tint film applied to them.

View of the vehicle with lights fitted:
Auxiliary Lamps-spots-vehicle-daytime.jpg
Auxiliary Lamps-spots-day.jpg

Shown below are some nigh time shots of the lights in action.

The first shot is of the ambient lighting in the lane. Taken with a setting of F5/0.25secs/ISO5000
Auxiliary Lamps-ambient-f5-0.25sec-iso5000.jpg

The remaining shots below were taken at a setting of F5/0.25secs/ISO2000

Only fogs
Auxiliary Lamps-fogs.jpg

Fogs + Low Beam
Auxiliary Lamps-fogs-low.jpg

Fogs, Low & High Beams
Auxiliary Lamps-fogs-low-high.jpg

All lights on
Auxiliary Lamps-everything-.jpg

Only Spots on
Auxiliary Lamps-only-spots.jpg

My comments are as follows:-

1. The LED cubes with 4D optics are able to illuminate upto 450 feet, though the best illumination is upto 300 feet.
2. Even though the beam angle is 10 degrees there is a fair amount of light scatter.
3. I plan to angle the spots a little more downward, so that the distance between 200-300 feet is well covered.
4. For throw beyond 400 feet either a Led with 15-25W per emitter or HID spot beams would be required.
sridhar-v is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 08:39   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
looking to put some Aux Led for my Xylo.
kindly provide your suggestions on feasible options:

a) one 200w 5D 20" CREE (42 x 5w) combo (flood-spot-flood) bar. ref : https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...860.0.0.mYdSSs

b) two x 60w 5D 7" (12 x 5w) Spot 30deg. ref : https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...860.0.0.mYdSSs

regards,
missed to update this thread.
Some months back, I got the spot LEDs installed, sourced from AliExpress at $ 67.6. While delivering at home, courier guy (Aramex) took ~Rs.550 as duty. These lights came with a wiring harness, a ON/OFF switch available inside my dash (carefully routed through the firewall). The light is awesome, bright, long range. Later will try to post picture.
Old 6th August 2017, 00:29   #230
BHPian

I want to put some aux lights i can turn on/off without spending fortune just to force oncoming traffic to use lower beam. For my daily use the headlights are more than enough.

Before someone asks about blinding opposite drivers, let me clarify that this is in city with max speeds of 30kmh. God knows why the morons need full beam.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 12:49   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I want to put some aux lights i can turn on/off without spending fortune just to force oncoming traffic to use lower beam. For my daily use the headlights are more than enough.

Before someone asks about blinding opposite drivers, let me clarify that this is in city with max speeds of 30kmh. God knows why the morons need full beam.
You have the eternal headache like every other educated car driver in the country. Trust me, even if you put a high power laser in action, the guys who have all these lamps + high beam are NOT going to lower their beam. In fact - many won't even understand the purpose of you lighting up more lamps at them. They'll just utter swear words within the confines of their air conditioned cabin and carry on. Lack of respect and education cannot be corrected with aux lights on the car.

If you actually want them to ensure you keep on seeing the road while the oncoming traffic tries to blind you - you can install a pair of Neolite 1010 with 55w halogens pointing at the road. That should ensure your safety at an economical price. I will be attempting to get this done on my car soon also.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 14:59   #232
BHPian

After a lot of thought and consideration, I finally decided to fix a pair of Hella 700FFs on my Xylo.

I got the clamps and fitting work done at Bosch(SK Karzone) Bangalore. The total cost was 2000/- including fabricating the clamp and fitting of the electrical components.

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20180127_0756551-2.jpg

I would have loved to route the clamp from inside rather than outside, but that would involve elaborate work and I was not for it.

Only Low Beam

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20180214_032232.jpg

Low Beam + Hella 700FF

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20180214_032227.jpg

The difference is night and day. I'm very happy with the results. Money well spent!
Paradiddle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:08   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post

I would have loved to route the clamp from inside rather than outside, but that would involve elaborate work and I was not for it.
You've mounted the lamp somewhat high from the horizontal member, are you observing any vibrations?
Old 26th February 2018, 02:15   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
You've mounted the lamp somewhat high from the horizontal member, are you observing any vibrations?
I had no option but to mount it high otherwise, the aux lights would cover the license plates on both sides. I didn't want to give the cops a chance to extract money from me.

On smooth roads, there is no vibration however on bad roads it does vibrate for a few seconds after passing through a rough patch. The clamps I fabricated are very thick which help in reducing vibrations to a great extent. But I must say the vibration is annoying.

I'll eventually have to find a setup to ensure zero vibration.
Old 26th February 2018, 10:26   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
I had no option but to mount it high otherwise, the aux lights would cover the license plates on both sides. I didn't want to give the cops a chance to extract money from me.

On smooth roads, there is no vibration however on bad roads it does vibrate for a few seconds after passing through a rough patch. The clamps I fabricated are very thick which help in reducing vibrations to a great extent. But I must say the vibration is annoying.

I'll eventually have to find a setup to ensure zero vibration.
Can you try something like this (front view)? Sorry about the poor pic, use the Z clamp side wise so that your lamps are pushed away from number plate ( and if needed, reduce the font of numbers in front number plate). Keep the vertical piece in the clamp as small as possible to reduce the vibrations
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-img_20180226_101849095.jpg  

arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 10:54   #236
BHPian

Came across a very interesting aux light mount, it is available on aliexpress for around 1.5K (black) -3K (chrome) but I think it should be easy to get it made here. If anyone has used this before please share your experience.

Sharing pics with actual dimensions for the benefit of everyone interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-19447200311867971523.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-1011538139141722531.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-7017585531542765137.jpg  

wrongturn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 22:40   #237
BHPian

Neolites manufactuers some very VFM products, but the only product currently available is the Neolite 1010. KW of Austria picked up stake in Neolites in 2007. I went through their LED product list and I would assume they to be of good quality since ZKW is the leading Fog lamp and front end ligt suppliers to European manufactures.

I am not sure how many of the products mentioned in the list are available to us here.

LED product list(PDF)
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 11:49   #238
BHPian

What is the maximum watts or amps in terms of auxiliary fog or driving lamps that can be added to a vehicle with an 90amps alternator, as halogen lights start from 55watts to 100watts while led light bars are going upwards to 280 watts 20 amps.
raja_ys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 02:13   #239
Senior - BHPian

Not sure what exactly I need to buy so here's my query, I hope experts can help me decide what I ought to buy.

I have been restoring a Subaru Forester to be my daily driver. Car is nearly completed. But I find the lights to be inadequate. My friend is telling me to go in for a roof mounted LED bar. Any recommendations on what one to buy? I admit, I am a noob when it comes to all of this so excuse me if all my requirements cannot be met together but here they are:
Good throw and spread obviously
Durability an ip rating might help put things in perspective
Value For Money
Old 6th October 2018, 23:05   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post

Finally took the plunge and ordered a 20" LED bar from AlieExpress. Came here in flat six days. I specifically bought it to answer the high beam morons. I dont even use it while driving. Turn it on for 2-3 seconds and the high beamer goes running for low beam Very happy with the purchase. Right now its pointing way to down and I still need to adjust the beam scientifically.

Auxiliary Lamps-whatsapp-image-20181006-22.58.22-2.jpeg

Auxiliary Lamps-whatsapp-image-20181006-22.58.22-1.jpeg

Auxiliary Lamps-whatsapp-image-20181006-22.58.22.jpeg

Auxiliary Lamps-whatsapp-image-20181006-22.58.21.jpeg

Last edited by akshay380 : 6th October 2018 at 23:07.
akshay380 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks