Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2020, 00:32   #256
BHPian

Re: Auxiliary Lamps

The product : FABTEC Car 60 LED 120 Watt Spot Beam Bar Light Fog Auxiliary Light Off-Roading for All Cars (32 Inch) (6000K)

Amazon Link

Auxiliary Lamps-capture.jpg

Hey guys, I installed this LED bar light on my Toyota Innova, the brightness and light throw are simply awesome for its price. I initially bought it to install on my Sierra, I rarely use that car, so I thought it is better to use it on a daily driver. The LEDs are very bright and might obstruct the view for on-coming traffic if mounted on roof or in front of the grille. I finally fixed it below the number plate, tilted it a little focusing on road so that the on coming traffic wouldn't have any issues. Innova with all white lights looks like a gangster.

Enhanced the front end looks

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200117_155409.jpg

Light in action

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200218_212641.jpg

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200218_212709.jpg

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200218_212726.jpg

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200218_212748.jpg

View of the road during power outage, no street lights and complete darkness. The vehicle in this picture is actually parked on a ramp, that's the reason light is focusing upwards, in fact it focuses on the road.

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200307_204917.jpg

I did not have to make any separate holes for the light to mount, the plastic cladding holes of the bumper are a direct fit for this bar Light. It looks like the bar light is made for this particular vehicle. It is holding up nice and tight. I've been using this from January without any issues.

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200823_170505.jpg

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200823_170547.jpg

I also ordered Toyota fog light switches from Ali express, I used this switch to power the bar light.
Link

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200822_104502.jpg

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200822_104512.jpg

Auxiliary Lamps-screenshot_20200906002019001_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the fit and finish of LED bar light and switch.

P.S: I do not use this light in city traffic, I only use it on highways and on poorly lit roads. I instructed my drivers also to follow the same.
WhiteSierra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 00:46   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
The product : FABTEC Car 60 LED 120 Watt Spot - same.
I have something similar on my Tucson, and it's been really helpful. In Noida, all it takes is one flash for even the most stubborn cabbie to go low beam. That being said, it's nearly impossible to use in any kind of city/town.
However, it was a godsend in Spiti, where it literally lit up the world. Also, on the eastern peripheral, it let me see a dog crossing from a safe enough distance so that I could move a lane much before reaching him, rather than having to take emergency corrective action.

Inadvisable, these bars, if your primary driving is on well lit and well used roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200906_003936.jpg  

mayankk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 21:37   #258

Hi, I wanted some advice. I have bought a pair of Stedi 8.5” LED spot lights and a number plate mount for my Pajero Sport. The problem I have is the lights and mount together weigh almost 10kg. I am not sure if the bolts that run from the support beam behind the bumper for the number plates and also the beam would be able to handle the weight. Is there any way to reinforce the beam to support the weight and any specific bolts that will be strong enough to take the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-5254c7207ed24c6696903135bd103be4.jpeg  

Auxiliary Lamps-a2a5ca6a69684412942fb1e5b0a4c091.jpeg  

adithyacj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 02:27   #259
BHPian

If you notice the last few pages, the aux lights are either blocking the radiator / intercooler/ ac condenser vents. This unscientific positioning of aux lights will affect ac efficiency and also the radiator fan would kick in more often. Now since most of the cars seen here are fairly new cars (less than 10yrs old), you would not feel the effects immediately. On the longer run, you would definitely see the negative effects.

Also the metal bar / support bracket that is fabricated is so dangerous for a pedestrian/ another motorist if the car hits anything while in motion.

Almost all new cars are aerodynamically designed and also have pedestrian friendly bumpers, that absorb the impact and deform, saving someone's leg. Adding a 100bucks crude metal bracket to hold the aux lights.
May serve your purpose for now, but on the long run, on some ill-fated day, it can cause bigger issues.

Last edited by SS80 : 30th September 2020 at 02:30.
SS80 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 18:49   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyacj View Post
. The problem I have is the lights and mount together weigh almost 10kg.
I agree, the mounts need to be sturdy and with 10Kg, they will endure a lot of vibrations. I have seen Subaru cars run a Cage type mount, with multiple support points.

Something on the below lines.

Auxiliary Lamps-subie.jpg
motorpsycho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 14:25   #261
BANNED

Spotted this VW Ameo with Auxillary lamps

Auxiliary Lamps-img_20200904_180725__01__01.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:18   #262
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for suggestions to modify the fog lamps for my 2017 Scorpio S4+ 4WD.
The primary reason for upgrade is to increase visibility on the dimly lit roads. Also, I don't want to go for a solution that would blind the upcoming traffic and don't want to tinker the stock headlights.

The fog lamps are OEM ones but are after market installation. I suppose they contain what we commonly call as 'tube' or the halogen lamp. They are wired to the parking lights and don't have a separate on/off switch.

For reference, my fog lamps look like as follows:

Name:  Screenshot_20201118 Mahindra Front Fog Lamp Assembly RH for LoganVerito Scorpio.png
Views: 2919
Size:  368.8 KB

The pic is courtesy m2all site.

As per my understanding, I have following options:
  • Upgrade to LED fog lamps
  • Upgrade to HID fog lampls
  • Install a LED Bar
My preference would be to upgrade the fog lamps. The suggestions that I am looking for are:
  • What is more preferable: HID or LED in terms of initial cost, longevity and replacement cost
  • Do I need to just change the lamp/tube or the whole assembly
  • Any consideration for wiring.
  • Recommendations for brands and if possible tentative cost
Old 19th December 2020, 22:33   #263
BHPian

To the experts in the group, this may be a very stupid question but here goes...

What is the difference between the Light at concept (available easily at Amazon), driving lights and/or spotlights??

Yes, this from someone who claims to love cars.

Reason I ask is I want to get any one of the three added to my TUV. Mainly to help in night time highway drives. Options shortlisted were Hella 700FF and Rallye 3003 pair. However, Better Half is saying a lightbar - as it looks better.

Thus need to see which one to go for, based on my requirement, as would need to get bracket fabrication done to install the Hella options.
Old 20th April 2021, 11:00   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I wanted some advice. I have bought a pair of Stedi 8.5” LED spot lights and a number plate mount for my Pajero Sport. The problem I have is the lights and mount together weigh almost 10kg. I am not sure if the bolts that run from the support beam behind the bumper for the number plates and also the beam would be able to handle the weight. Is there any way to reinforce the beam to support the weight and any specific bolts that will be strong enough to take the weight.
Hi Adithya, could you specify the total landing price of these lights
Old 20th April 2021, 11:24   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the same STEDI mount and a STEDI 18.5 inch lightbar. My STEDI lightbar weigh less than the two STEDI 8.5 spots you have got there.

If you do not have a supporting metal bracket behind the bumper then do not mount the bracket on the plastic bumper it will not be able to take the weight. If using the STEDI number plate mount on the bumper make sure to provide some support for it from a chassis part behind. I got the lightbar installed behind the bumper grill as a discrete install and used this STEDI mount to fix the light bar to a chassis part, nothing outside on the bumper.

But, I think the number plate mount is not really suited for the STEDI 8.5inch lights because they will be too close to each other if you fix it using this mount. A pair of big round lights look good when mounted at a medium distance from each other. The number plate mount is best suited for light bars or small round lights.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 11:11   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_ys View Post
Hi Adithya, could you specify the total landing price of these lights
It costed me around 35K for the lights. The lights costed around 20k and 15k was the Customs duty and other taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I have the same STEDI mount and a STEDI 18.5 inch lightbar. My STEDI lightbar weigh less than the two STEDI 8.5 spots you have got there.
This is the same conclusion I have come to now. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to create a mount infront of the bottom grill to mount these. Haven't had the time to go to someone and get it done yet.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st April 2021 at 12:01. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
Old 6th July 2021, 17:40   #267
BHPian

We all have the interest of buying and fixing additional driving lights. However, as we all know, they are as good as they are aligned.

I installed Hella 3003 on my Truck but was always unhappy with the beam throw and alignment - either too low, giving throw right next to the headlights on Low beam or acting as landing lights for aircrafts.

In the dream of perfect alignment, started online research and found the attached document by Hella itself. It provides the perfect way to align auxiliary lights to the T.

I have followed the same, and can now say am fully satisfied with the throw and alignment - in other words, they do their job, which is light up the highway when you need it, and in certain cases, remind rogue truckers to give way when they are busy doing telephonic discussions or truck drag racing in 5th gear at 33KMPH.

Sharing the document for other enthusiasts.

Hope it helps.

NOTE - ALL RIGHTS FOR THE DOCUMENT WITH ORIGINAL OWNER.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2-wire_auxiliary_lamp_mounting_instructions.pdf (2.54 MB, 188 views)
LegalEagle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 07:59   #268
BANNED

Has anyone strengthened the cross member to mount heavier aux lamps and horns?

I understand its effect on the crumble zone effect but have chosen to take steps to avoid a crash on road than to prepare for one.

I was running 4x100w Hella 500ffs with a few LED cubes in my Figo. After having been satisfied with it for 4+ years, one holder in a Hella 500ff melted. I suspect this to be a result of improper wiring for my latest LED cubes.

I had my entire aux light and horn wiring harness completely overhauled. A few weeks after this, one Hella 500ff was broken when another mechanic tried to stand up while sliding out under the car while doing an oil change and another had repeated issues from the jugad around the burnt holder.

At this juncture, I chanced upon an amazon listing for Hella Rallye 4000 at 4k/piece. I had got 4 of those and am planning to upgrade my Hella 500ff to Rallye 4000. These are rated for 100w and are sturdily built.

I have attached the pic of the current lights, stripped down front, rallye 4000 and the setup I have in mind. I can't care less for the looks, it is the safety that matters. I don't run around with all lights blazing all the time. I drive with the dipped beams and use the LEDs to flash. I keep the hellas detached and use them only during select long drives involving hills or rainy conditions.

Any input on this will be highly helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
If you notice the last few pages, the aux are either blocking the radiator / intercooler/ ac condenser vents. This unscientific positioning of aux lights will affect ac efficiency and also the radiator fan would kick in more often.

Also the metal bar / support bracket that is fabricated is so dangerous for a pedestrian/ another motorist if the car hits anything while in motion
It had turned in to an unfortunate stalemate. People are piling on aux lamps to just appear flashy. This has led to the sober ones being forced to shell out bucks to mount more lamps to just be able to see.

In my case, I had crashed in to a cyclist because a pair of aux-light laden Dosts were overtaking each other on a dualcarriageway. Inspite of that, I ran my current car bone-stock for over 12000kms, I had to toe the line. With the advent of the LEDs, I was finally forced to join the fray since almost all my driving takes place at night.

To work around heating issues and to counter theft,I have mounted my aux lamps in a detachable manner. I mount them by night only. This negates the heating issue to a considerable extent.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-img20210703wa0018.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-img20210703wa0020.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-img20210703wa0017.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-img20210703wa0013.jpeg  

Auxiliary Lamps-20201017_114040372.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-picsart_070907.51.23.png  

Auxiliary Lamps-picsart_070611.03.23.jpg  

Last edited by COMMUTER : 9th July 2021 at 08:21.
Old 9th July 2021, 08:18   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Auxiliary Lamps-20210709_081914.jpg
This looks a little overdone for me. You don't need so many lights.

Following are the cons:-
1. You are restricting the air flow to the engine.
2. Prolonged use will make the light hot and so hot air will be drawn inside the engine. Although not much, but still there is a chance.
3. As any such light is illegal, you are attracting the police to catch you and eventually fine you.
4. No matter how strongly you have fitted them, the light alignment will go over a period of time, with wind pressure.

A simple yet effective method is to install a long led bar which will give you almost the same amount of light.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 9th July 2021 at 08:24.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 08:43   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I was running 4x100w Hella 500ffs with a few LED cubes in my Figo. After having been satisfied with it for 4+ years, one holder in a Hella 500ff melted. I suspect this to be a result of improper wiring for my latest LED cubes.
That's 400W of combined load, just for the aux lights (not counted the 8x60w LEDs). Don't you think the alternator is getting overloaded, even if you are not using the lights for a longer duration? A pair of 3003s with 100W/55W HIDs I believe would have been more than sufficient.
Those 4000s which you recently acquired, the cross member will need some decent amount of reinforcing, you will need some really thick clamps since those lights being heavy (9.2kgs combined) will vibrate and will cause strain to your eyes. The combined weight of the clamps and the lights, i believe will be a bit too much for the cross member to handle the load.
And I believe the 500ff is not rated to take in 100W bulbs if I am not wrong.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 9th July 2021 at 08:46.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks