Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2021, 18:48   #286

Re: Auxiliary Lamps

Team BHP,

I have a i10 with factory fitted headlamp bulbs.

I want to change my head light bulbs to much brighter ones and plan to add fog lamps down as there is provision for.

Please advice which brand of bulbs and the wattage recommended. Maybe later I will add a LED bar.
Old 24th July 2021, 21:56   #287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJFM View Post
Team BHP,

I have a i10 with factory fitted headlamp bulbs.

I want to change my head light bulbs to much brighter ones and plan to add fog lamps down as there is provision for.

Please advice which brand of bulbs and the wattage recommended. Maybe later I will add a LED bar.
You can try any 90/100watt bulb but be sure to use a headlight relay harness when fitting them. Do keep checking for reflector damage after the first few runs.

LED bars are good for flashing only. They are very poor in lighting up the road under rainy or foggy weather.

You can try any halogen aux lamps for better visibility, especially on the highways.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 09:30   #288
anb
BHPian

Pop out LED bar Hella 350 installed in a Scorpio.
anb is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 18:26   #289
BHPian

Greetings,
I Need expert advice from senior members please.
I'm planning to install auxillary led spot lamps on my Polo for the rains as well as upcoming winter season (Will be used only to illuminate the road, not to blind the oncoming traffic)
Unfortunately I'm unable to find any guidance anywhere.
Can experts please share their valuable suggestions for the appropriate location and tips for the fog lamps installation on Polo.
Thanks in advance.
Note: I have attached the lamps I intend to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Auxiliary Lamps-screenshot_20210905182348.jpg  

Auxiliary Lamps-screenshot_20210905182328.jpg  

Old 5th September 2021, 20:52   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Greetings,
I'm planning to install auxillary led spot lamps on my Polo for the rains as well as upcoming winter season (Will be used only to illuminate the road, not to blind the oncoming traffic)
I am using similar lamps on my car. I have fitted them as indicated in the attached photos. You will need to spend a lot of time adjusting the angle in the vertical plane to get proper illumination that does not blind the oncoming traffic and yet helps in your driving. I have found that dipping the beam by around -5 to -10 degrees so that the maximum light is in the range of 30-50 feet is best for mixed driving.
If you want very long throws go in for halogen pencil beam spot lights only.
Auxiliary Lamps-gv-fog-cubes-off.jpg
Auxiliary Lamps-gv-fog-cubes-.jpg
Auxiliary Lamps-only-spots.jpg
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 21:14   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I am using similar lamps on my car. I have fitted them as indicated in the attached photos. You will need to spend a lot of time adjusting the angle in the vertical plane to get proper illumination that does not blind the oncoming traffic and yet helps in your driving. I have found that dipping the beam by around -5 to -10 degrees so that the maximum light is in the range of 30-50 feet is best for mixed driving.
If you want very long throws go in for halogen pencil beam spot lights only.
Attachment 2202592
Attachment 2202593
Attachment 2202591
Thank you for the prompt reply.
I will get them installed and update.
Stay Safe.
Old 11th October 2021, 11:35   #292
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Greetings,
Can experts please share their valuable suggestions for the appropriate location and tips for the fog lamps installation on Polo.
Thanks in advance.
Note: I have attached the lamps I intend to use.
These lamps are very poor in performance. If you are looking for better lighting without opting for halogens then try the allextreme ones.
Link
LEDs are easy to mount because of their low weight. Their performance in rain or fog is too poor and we need halogens if we are planning to use them under those conditions.
Old 11th October 2021, 12:02   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
These lamps are very poor in performance. If you are looking for better lighting without opting for halogens then try the allextreme ones.
Link
LEDs are easy to mount because of their low weight. Their performance in rain or fog is too poor and we need halogens if we are planning to use them under those conditions.
Greetings,
Thank you for the advice.
That exactly is the reason I'm still dilly dallying and postponing the installation.
Not yet able to decide which are the better ones.
Stay safe. Drive safe.
matchvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 12:56   #294
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Link
A word of warning - LED lamps are a poor substitute for Halogens because their light contains a wide range of wavelengths that scatter when they hit fog or rain droplets. Expect only worse performance with the phony fog lamps with white LED using a yellow tinted covering.

Halogens have a more limited wavelengths in their light output therefore more suited for this application. Their light output is also naturally yellow in the 2600-4200k color temperature range depending on which bulb you buy. The only downside is power efficiency and heat output. Don’t waste your money on LED only to suffer poor visibility in the next rains.
Ragul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 16:22   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Imported a 14 inch LED bar from STEDI Australia for the Duster. 4 Flood + 16 Spot + 4 Flood reflector distribution pushes the wide beam out at 50° and spot beam at 5.8° all the way to staggering 1 lux @ 514m as claimed by them. Has the option to be taken off when not in use with the help of 2 anti theft nuts. Till now have just setup the mount after a lot of R&D without making any holes/touching the crossmember. The wiring and final setup will be done this week.
What did the ST4K 14" light bar cost
Old 14th June 2022, 19:27   #296
BHPian

I have installed Hella compact 3003 on my safari storme. The height of the aux lamps are below the headlights as I had read somewhere once that they should be always positioned below the OEM headlights.
Recently, I was stopped for the first time by traffic cops in last 8 years of installation stating they are not allowed. Can someone share some insights on this and also the link to the article/law which would help in any justifications in future.
Old 16th March 2023, 12:23   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsam View Post
Can someone share some insights on this and also the link to the article/law which would help in any justifications in future.
I too am looking for the same, I am planning Spiti valley in June with my Bolero Neo, and want to upgrade the lights, but a friend suggested to upgrade the headlamps and fog lamps as in Shimla cops are breaking the aux lamps
Old 18th March 2023, 05:10   #298
BHPian

Hi bhpians,

I just got a Seltos HTX IVT and it has a set of white LEDs which are okay in dry conditions - but disperse like crazy when in rain and fog.

I’ll be doing a 8000 KM road trip in the upcoming month and I’d like to be improve the visibility by adding aux lights. I’ve the following questions or doubts, request folks to help me here
  1. Legality (I reside in Bangalore, will be travelling pan India). E.g will RTO or police stop me even if I’ve covers.
  2. How to make sure they don’t blind oncoming users? I’m assuming low height and turned to a degree downward would help.
  3. What temperature? I’m assuming lower the better since it doesn’t disperse
  4. What technology- assuming 100W halogen would suffice for most road usage. I do not intend to off-road.
  5. What beam? Pencil, spot or something else?
  6. Which brand? I’ve seen Hellas majorly or Stedi
  7. What kind? Round halogens mounted on front grille on chassis bolts or light bars?

Intention is to light up the road during rains so that I can drive safely.

PS - If I’ve to choose lights between rain vs fog, I’d choose lights which help me in rain more than fog.
Old 18th November 2023, 00:32   #299
BHPian

Hi folks,

I have a Verna 2023 and the light throw is very pathetic during rainy days and low beam is insufficient in normal days too. Can someone suggest an option to install any auxiliary lamps or something like fog lamps? Since the stock headlights are LEDs, there is no way to change them. Hence please suggest some viable option to improve the lighting.
Old 18th November 2023, 10:34   #300
BHPian

A couple of months back I bought Osram Night Breaker 12v 55W 200% brighter h7 bulbs for my Triber. The original lights which came along with the car felt like a candle. Even these Osrams aren't helping either. The throw feels poor at best. I have tried adjusting the beam to no avail.

Osram product link :
Deal of the day: Osram Night Breaker 200 64210NB200 h7 12v 55W px26d 200% more brightness halogen headlight lamp Automotive headlamps Duo Box Set of 2 Lamps https://amzn.eu/d/9YRtXH7

I am now looking for 50w led setup and have a few apprehensions:

- Will Heat dissipation pose an issue? I do not wish to puncture the rubber covering behind the headlamps
- How much performance gain can I expect? Hoping if some existing Triber owner has already tried this and would be kind enough to share his/her opinion
- Do we get led lamps below 6000 Kelvin? I do not like the white lights. It blinds other road users
-Is it advisable to change both h1 and h7 at the same time?
- Are there an worthy options for Aux lights given that triber does not have provision for dog lamps and I would like to keep the setup as stock as possible.

I am planning a North India trip with family and friends towards end of December and would like to be well prepared for it.

TIA!!

Most Viewed