Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 07:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Auxiliary Lamps

Through my long distance trips and night driving on the highways, I have found the high beam of the Bolero inadequate in terms of range. Even though they light up the near area very well, long range visibility is a problem.

During my Ladakh trip, Rajiv Menon had Hella 300ff( i THINK) on his Scorpio but they also were a focused beam for lighting the edges. I also met an Army Team practicising for the Raid who were running Hella look-like beams on their Gypsy, which they said gives a 400 m beam ( He said it was 220 bucks Kasmiri Gate stuff).

I want to know from others which is the best auxiliary lamp for long range beam of atleast 200m.
Old 9th October 2009, 08:27   #2
1001bhp

Try light force..they are supposed to be the best.but they are a bit expensive though.

Old 9th October 2009, 08:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rajiv has Hella Rallye 700FFs; I had them fitted recently on my Safari & I'm happy - they supplement the stock setup pretty well. You can check out the specifications here -
Hella Rallye 500 FF & 700 FF Product Brochure

As you can see, they cross the 400m mark. They sell here for Rs 4,950 a pair (these are official Hella India products & prices, not the grey market stuff) & they come with a plug & play wiring harness, relay, illuminated switch, mounting brackets, screws etc. And, of course, the covers. IMHO, they are good VFM.

Last edited by suman : 9th October 2009 at 08:45.
Old 9th October 2009, 09:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to interfere with question related to Auxiliary lamps.

Is it legally allowed to use this additional lamps? I see many Scorpio owners add lights mounted on the top or in the front. I am not sure if I should do it. But certainly the light is very less within the city, I am using fog lamps always. Shed me some lights.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Sorry to interfere with question related to Auxiliary lamps.

Is it legally allowed to use this additional lamps? I see many Scorpio owners add lights mounted on the top or in the front. I am not sure if I should do it. But certainly the light is very less within the city, I am using fog lamps always. Shed me some lights.
Any lamps which are above the level of the OE lamps are not allowed. Thus, the roof lights are definitely not legal. Bumper mounted lamps you may get away (depending on how the police in your city decide to treat them). For example, I'm told that Chandigarh cops are likely to pull you up even for bumper mounted lamps (unless, perhaps, you have the covers on & can convince them suitably).
Old 9th October 2009, 10:32   #6
BHPian

sorry for breaking in to your thread, MileCruncher.
Can the auxiliary lamps be clamped on to the 'intercooler protection plate' (below the bumper), on the Safari? Or is it too low to provide any useful lighting?
Old 9th October 2009, 10:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Can the auxiliary lamps be clamped on to the 'intercooler protection plate' (below the bumper), on the Safari? Or is it too low to provide any useful lighting?
I think it would be too low & they would also be portruding out too much - you'd probably run the risk of frequent damage/breakage.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Suman for the info. Will go and have a look here in Hyd.

@agbenny: Any light that is not factory fitted or protrudes out of the vehicle body is illegal. Spot Lights are especially illegal. But as Suman says implementation of the law varies based on location and the persuasive power of the person concerned.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:22   #9
BHPian

I have installed original Hella Rallye 1000 on my Gypsy...
Amazing throw if you use the right king of wiring harness with proper cut-outs.
You can check it out here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/64164-my-gypsy-king-2000-restoration-basic-modifications-5.html
Old 9th October 2009, 14:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
I have installed original Hella Rallye 1000 on my Gypsy...
Amazing throw if you use the right king of wiring harness with proper cut-outs.
You can check it out here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/64164-my-gypsy-king-2000-restoration-basic-modifications-5.html
Thanks Rossi!

Your Gypsy looks really good. But could you elaborate a bit more on how much is the throw in terms of Metres and what are those Yellow Lights?
Old 9th October 2009, 15:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Thanks Rossi!

Your Gypsy looks really good. But could you elaborate a bit more on how much is the throw in terms of Metres and what are those Yellow Lights?

Thanks for the Compli,
The Yellow are Lumax fog lamps with Original Phillips 90/100 bulbs.
Throw in terms of meters is not measured.
Will do it soon & update...
Old 12th October 2009, 00:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Rajiv has Hella Rallye 700FFs; I had them fitted recently on my Safari & I'm happy - they supplement the stock setup pretty well. You can check out the specifications here -
Hella Rallye 500 FF & 700 FF Product Brochure
Suman, how have you mounted the Hella's? Did you have to fix a nudge guard for that? I was considering adding Auxiliary lights on my Safari as well and was shown the Hella 700FFs - was actually wondering if those were too large for my requirement of highway night driving.
Old 12th October 2009, 01:09   #13
BHPian

I had read somewhere that these additional lamps are illegal. Just asking out of curiosity, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12th October 2009, 02:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Even Kashmiri gate stuff will do if the reflector is well designed.

Iv seen some of the fake Hella's not exactly cheap but 50% of the original cost running on some cars and the VFM based on performance is not bad.

If mated with a good 3000k HID you cant tackle the Delhi winters I reckon, got one for sale in the classifieds *hint*

Last edited by s0uljah : 12th October 2009 at 02:45.
Old 12th October 2009, 03:45   #15
BHPian

Aux drive lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Even Kashmiri gate stuff will do if the reflector is well designed.

Iv seen some of the fake Hella's not exactly cheap but 50% of the original cost running on some cars and the VFM based on performance is not bad.

If mated with a good 3000k HID you cant tackle the Delhi winters I reckon, got one for sale in the classifieds *hint*
In most of the new cars provision is made on the front bumper for two additional lamps.I was told that these are not called additional drive lamps but "Kerb Lamps" by the Opel A.S.S. I got the dealer to install these Kerb Lamps on my Corsa. It cost Rs.4K at that time. I found that these are a big help in night driving as unlike the normal addl. drive lamps, they give a very good view of the left edge of the road.
This is for information only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks