Team-BHP - My SS80 DX restoration and rebuild :)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   My SS80 DX restoration and rebuild :) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/67537-my-ss80-dx-restoration-rebuild.html)

Hey folks, Atul here from Mumbai. Avid motorcyclist and a die hard two stroke lover. My basic interests include restoring 2 stroke motorcycles, a big DIY fan and a little bit into motorcycle tuning and a bit of riding as well

I have decided to surprise my father by restoring his SS80DX which has been lying idle for the last 6 years or so. He works offshore and has no clue I took up the car for the rebuild. The car is in pathetic shape..and I mean pathetic. I do not know how far Im gonna be able to take this but here goes anyway.

The car badly needs bodywork, wheels, tyres, interiors are a mess, the electricals are messed up too. The mechanic I took it to tells me its a waste of money to even invest 5k in this car coz he feels its far beyond repair. I personally dont agree and I know for a fact my father does not have the heart to junk this car nor has the time to rebuild it. its our first car from 1986 and I have a lot of good memories with it too. Plus I personally feel the 80's inspired styling looks kinda good too

Now getting down to basics, Here's what I've planned

1. Completely bodywork and paint to be done [edmund and siralec's threads have been huge inspiration]
2. Conversion to power brakes, 13 inch steel rims, tyres [need suggestions there]
3. complete electricals overhaul. Wiring harness, new lights, maybe an HID for better illumination
4.do up the seats and interior [basic stuff, but comfy]
5. The engine - For starters, was considering the 1.1L wagon R engine. But am low on budget. So might consider head porting, maybe a higher duration camshaft and a home made CAI and exhaust hopefully. A rebore and bottom end rebuild.

Optional stuff [wishlist]

1.a 1.3L carbed engine [ I know a lot of people who have it in their zen, but how many actually have it in their 800? I'm kinda lost there. How much should a 1.3L engine with 5 speed gbox cost me if I'm looking in the junkyard. Is this mod just tough or totally impossible?What is more doable - a 1.1L or a 1.3L? Please advise

2. maybe a junkyard turbo project :D

3. autogauge tachometer setup [im a poser i know :P]

4. 13 inch alloy wheels

5. a good duration camshaft, headers and maybe a weber carburetor to feed it, or a twin cam 1.3L engine :) [a distant dream]

Any pointers, or how much a generic break up of costs would be, will greatly help me. Also, any suggestions or brickbats are welcome

I did a bit of hopping already. Here's what I managed to get

Wheel bearings front -560/-
Wheel bearings rear - 480/- [Naichi bearings]
A Valeo clutch setup - 950/-
TVS Girling Master Cyl assy - 1300/-
TVS Girling 2 x Caliper kits - 150/-
TVS Girling Brake oil - 90
Clutch bearing - 230/-
SGP Rear glass hydraulic unit - 525/-
TVS Girling brake pads- 190/-
MGP Brake adjuster assy - 700/-
Purolator oil filter - 50/-
Radiator hose kit - 130/-
NGK BR5ES x 3 - 210/-
Complete wiring harness - 2200/-
MGP front bonnet button - 150/-

Are the costs ok? Just checking.

Needed suggestions

1. The paint guy is quoting 22k for complete paint + tinwork. He was initially suggesting junk junking the car when he saw it. Is this reasonable? I want to paint the car black [no Dupont, 2K will do ]
2. Is it advisable to just get the bonnet + other rotten[rusted] parts replaced by a better one from the junkyard?
3. I want 13 inch rims on the car coz I'll have to replace the existing rims anyway. The guy quoted 780/- per rim. A friend suggested I get the rims second hand. Which is the better way to go? Are 13 inch rims doable on the M800?

Thanks a lot for all the support in advance. Glad to be a part of the tribe. I dont know till when i'll be able to continue the restoration before I run out of funds but what the heck i'll give it a go anyway. A big hello to everyone once again

Cheers

Atul Haldankar

Hey Atul! Welcome to TBHP... from Yam's & Shogun's to cars huh? :)

This thread belongs to the Modification thread! Mods...

Atul Welcome aboard to T-Bhp.
Congrats, you seems to be in high spirits in modifying the vehicle. Let us know the budget that you are wiling to spend on the car.

This first thing is to collect all the required spares, then start working.

You can't use 1.3L eng. but 1.1L can do justice to it if your pocket allows.
To work-out cheap,try sourcing all the parts from gujuri's .Even you can find nice seats & interiors what not everything if search carefully for a reasonably price.
Remember you need to work on the insurance as well for using.
All best for the restoration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atul_astro (Post 1534571)
I have decided to surprise my father by restoring his SS80DX which has been lying idle for the last 6 years or so. He works offshore and has no clue I took up the car for the rebuild. The car is in pathetic shape..and I mean pathetic. I do not know how far Im gonna be able to take this but here goes anyway.
Atul Haldankar

Atul,

I remember one of my friend buying a DSLR for her Dad who had professional photographic interests and was into filim cameras. Her surprice was taken up rather like a shock by him who was strictly against the quality of a DSLR and always belived the capabilities of a conventional filim SLR, but anyways.

You are thinking for modding a car which was lying unused and read UNSOLD for nearly 25 years of despite being used. I would strongly suggest you just get her back to her orignal shape and gift it to him. Mods are not taken very seriously by our father generations(not trying to steriotype any one). i feel the car has some sentimental values for your Dad and your good will gusture should not be taken otherwise.

Just my 2 cents worth

Pramod

Atul,
I think you should restore the car while keeping it stock.
Racing seats and tachos are the things you want but may be yur dad wouldn't like them.

I suggest get your mechanicals and electricals done first and then move on to the complete body work.

A good mettalic paint job and some nice alloy rims would make it look better.

Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for the heads-up guys . Point taken. I guess i'll stick to the restoration.

I feel the 12 inch rims look a little small for the car. Needed to know if putting a 175 section 13 inch tyre + rim would be possible..Good traction is always welcome. If I remember correctly, Edmund had a similar mod done to his car. Any clues there?

I did go to the junkyard today. Found a slightly used alternator [almost new] and a 3 channel alto radiator [The 800 has a 2 channel radiator and mine is corroded to death]. I found the entire assy with fan i pristine condition thanks to a friend.

I need to know if I can use the 5 speed gearbox and the 12 valve head with the carb setup, This way Im not going the whole 1.1L hog but atleast bettering the power by a small margin. My dad would not mind a slightly more efficient engine for sure :) Can I use this with the carbed setup?

I have sent the car for a complete bodywork overhaul. I managed to source a better bonnet and 2 front doors in the junkyard as well. Will do complete strip up and and paintwork first, and then a fresh wiring install with a brand new harness for peace of mind.

Is there a way I can do a better suspension upgrade?..Maybe from the alto or is the existing setup good for 4 heavy people in Mumbai potholes? Is the existing setup consisting of gas filled suspension? I want the ride to be comfortable for dad.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm getting to learn a lot. I am grateful.

Cheers

Atul Haldankar

Hi there atul,
Welcome to the club! Good to see you daring such a move with an SS80. They certainly are good cars, I myself own one. But they need to be restored with quality to get them back in the original hue.
Do check out this thread for more tips/guidelines on the SS80 originality aspects:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...i-ss80-dx.html

Your car still seems to be in it's original paint- the last batch of SS80s did come in this colour too, although it was carried over as more common on the later models.

Are you sure though that your car is a DX? Did it originally come with A/C and tinted glasses plus a load of other stuff that the DX came with (again refer to thread in above link)

Black seems a good option, if you don't find the maintenance of the colour tedious.

'looking forward to your resto progress. Good luck!

thanks stanher. Yes she is a DX for sure. The car has the AC and came with tinted windows too. I think I have pics of the car from back in the day. Need to scan them and put them here. Should be fun :)

Any suggestions to my queries mate? I'm looking forward to a few answers man. Please help out if you can

ps: Also, was thinking of setting up power brakes as well. Better braking is welcome too. Is it advisable?

Cheers mate

Hey Atul nothing is better gift for your dad than bring the car in to her original shape. For God's shake please do not modify the car as suggested by Pramod also. Keep us updating and all the very best for your project.

please do not change the engine the original is a gem tuned properly it can blow most cars restricted only by the 4 speed gear box work on the exhaust for the performance and try to keep car as original as possible. For poser value alloys are enough with a good ice set up besides engine changes do not always work and what does not work does not please the dad

Atul..Welcome to the SS 80 Club.The restoration is really worth and the car deserves it.
Good luck.

Nice i do love these SS, knowing you well are you reataining the same engine :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 1535795)
Hi there atul,
Welcome to the club! Good to see you daring such a move with an SS80. They certainly are good cars, I myself own one. But they need to be restored with quality to get them back in the original hue.
Do check out this thread for more tips/guidelines on the SS80 originality aspects:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...i-ss80-dx.html

Your car still seems to be in it's original paint- the last batch of SS80s did come in this colour too, although it was carried over as more common on the later models.

Are you sure though that your car is a DX? Did it originally come with A/C and tinted glasses plus a load of other stuff that the DX came with (again refer to thread in above link)

Black seems a good option, if you don't find the maintenance of the colour tedious.

'looking forward to your resto progress. Good luck!

shyam,from where you got this info,to the best of my knowledge this colour called BAYER BLUE came only in 1987 october in SB308IN
ss80's never came in this colour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay99 (Post 1536155)
shyam,from where you got this info,to the best of my knowledge this colour called BAYER BLUE came only in 1987 october in SB308IN
ss80's never came in this colour.

Yes they did, ajay! :)
I'd mentioned this even before, that I'd personally come across an SS80 here in this very same blue, which was scrapped. At first, I too thought it wasn't the original colour but I checked out the entire body of the car for traces of another below, but even on the underside, inside, I found only this colour! That confirmed my belief that they DID come in this colour...but it would've been the last batch of SS80s (ie. just before they were replaced by the SB308) hence not many people would've seen them in it, the colour having continued all along on the SB308.
Plus Karl (karlosdeville) also did tell you once that he had seen a few SS80s in Pune in this colour.
Personally, the only blue I like them in was the powder blue that they more commonly came with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 1536190)
Yes they did, ajay! :)
I'd mentioned this even before, that I'd personally come across an SS80 here in this very same blue, which was scrapped. At first, I too thought it wasn't the original colour but I checked out the entire body of the car for traces of another below, but even on the underside, inside, I found only this colour! That confirmed my belief that they DID come in this colour...but it would've been the last batch of SS80s (ie. just before they were replaced by the SB308) hence not many people would've seen them in it, the colour having continued all along on the SB308.
Plus Karl (karlosdeville) also did tell you once that he had seen a few SS80s in Pune in this colour.
Personally, the only blue I like them in was the powder blue that they more commonly came with.

sorry,I am still not convinced:)
because I have never seen an SS80 anywhere in kerala in this colour.
also,The first blue shade offered when SB308IN was introduced was the brighter "RACING BLUE""(that was what KARL mentioned he had seen in an ss80)
I distinctly remember this BAYER BLUE colour being offered as a new shade in 1987 last and people paying premium for this,because it was a fresh shade(at that point of time).
suresh kishore,put your inhouse contacts to shed light on thisplease: