Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 14:28   #226
Senior - BHPian

Can only the shift indicator light be installed to a car that already has a tacho?
Old 24th March 2009, 14:48   #227
Senior - BHPian

Yes it can be. You get stand alone shift lights that can be used with existing tachos.
Old 21st June 2009, 00:50   #228
BHPian

Tacho for Swift LD

Guys, just bought a 3.75" Autogauge smoked black (white foreground, red needle) with shiftlight tacho for the LDi. Paid 2400.

Now, having it fitted in the LDi is turning out to be a pain in the ***.
The guy I bought it from tried and couldn't do it. Neither could the second guy I took it to, who said he would have to go deep into the car to remove the alternator and then open it up to get a signal from it. Told him to shove off.

Finally took it to MASS (Vitesse) who were very courteous. They made a copy of the manual, said they would study it and get back to me in a day or two.

The problem is this...

There are four wires....

Red -> DC12V
Black -> Ground
Orange -> Dimmer (so that tacho is lit only when parking lights come on)
Green -> RPM signal source.

The problem is that no one can locate the signal source for the LDi.

So... does anyone know where the signal source for the LDi is??
Old 21st June 2009, 19:58   #229
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
So... does anyone know where the signal source for the LDi is??
Not specific, but take a look at the following pdf file.

http://www.sw-performance.com/upload...sel%20Tach.pdf

I hope this is a help.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:17   #230
BHPian

Trrk... the link won't open. The SW-performance website seems to be down. Any other links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Not specific, but take a look at the following pdf file.

http://www.sw-performance.com/upload...sel%20Tach.pdf

I hope this is a help.
Old 22nd June 2009, 19:17   #231
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Trrk... the link won't open. The SW-performance website seems to be down. Any other links?
Sorry about that.

I am using Firefox and it works. Since it points to a pdf file, you could also right click it and choose 'Save as' and save the file.

Hey, I have attached it here.

118031 Diesel Tach.pdf
Old 24th June 2009, 14:59   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Sorry about that.

I am using Firefox and it works. Since it points to a pdf file, you could also right click it and choose 'Save as' and save the file.

Hey, I have attached it here.

Attachment 151021
Thanks buddy. Have checked the diagram and told MASS it's a possible solution. Will let you know if it pans out.
Old 30th June 2009, 19:27   #233
BHPian

UPDATE:

No luck so far. Have been speaking to MASS (Vitesse) for over a week now.Went to them last week, and they took a xerox of the instruction and installation manual of the Autogauge tacho I've bought.

Turns out the signal from diesel cars comes from the alternator, unlike Petrol cars where the signal comes from the ECU. So Vitesse contacted Mico (who manufacture the alternator for the Swift), and they thought they'd identified a coupler where they could tap the signal.

So I left the car there today in the morning, and they said it would be done by the afternoon, but they were unable to find the signal source.

So now... I'm desperate. ANYONE know how to fit an Autogauge diesel tacho to a diesel Swift?

Quote:
Thanks buddy. Have checked the diagram and told MASS it's a possible solution. Will let you know if it pans out.
Old 2nd July 2009, 00:16   #234
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

No luck so far. Have been speaking to MASS (Vitesse) for over a week now.Went to them last week, and they took a xerox of the instruction and installation manual of the Autogauge tacho I've bought.

Turns out the signal from diesel cars comes from the alternator, unlike Petrol cars where the signal comes from the ECU. So Vitesse contacted Mico (who manufacture the alternator for the Swift), and they thought they'd identified a coupler where they could tap the signal.

So I left the car there today in the morning, and they said it would be done by the afternoon, but they were unable to find the signal source.

So now... I'm desperate. ANYONE know how to fit an Autogauge diesel tacho to a diesel Swift?
Guys.... anyone? The gurus out there?
Old 2nd July 2009, 17:17   #235
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Guys.... anyone? The gurus out there?
Sorry to hear that. If the alternator manufacturer is MICO, try to find out theri authorised alternator service centre. Somebody there could help you.
Old 2nd July 2009, 17:49   #236
Senior - BHPian

Did you buy a normal tacho or one that is specifically made for diesel cars? There are some complications for connecting the former variety in diesel cars. Try if you can exchange your current piece for a diesel one.
Old 6th July 2009, 11:42   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Did you buy a normal tacho or one that is specifically made for diesel cars? There are some complications for connecting the former variety in diesel cars. Try if you can exchange your current piece for a diesel one.
Nope... specifically for Diesel cars.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:51   #238
BHPian

i have got a 5" Type R Tacho for my swift lxi. I am not sure where to connect the RPM source on the swift petrol version.Does it require any mod on the ECU.Let me know if anyone has done it on a petrol swift.
Old 15th July 2009, 00:21   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakrz View Post
i have got a 5" Type R Tacho for my swift lxi. I am not sure where to connect the RPM source on the swift petrol version.Does it require any mod on the ECU.Let me know if anyone has done it on a petrol swift.
It's pretty straightforward, but don't attempt a DIY unless you know exactly what you're doing. I've just completed an exhaustive exercise trying to get an autogauge diesel tach to my diesel swift, and it CANT be done.

On a petrol, it can. The guy you bought it from should be able to do it. The petrol swift has the rpm signal source from the ecu, and it's a simple hookup. Should cost you about 200 bucks.

OR...take it to M.A.S.S. They'll charge you a little more, but I think it's worth it to prevent someone unauthorized from tinkering with your ECU. Speak to the Works Manager at your M.A.S.S, and they'll do it for you. Make sure you take the tach installation manual with you.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:22   #240
BHPian

Quote:
It's pretty straightforward, but don't attempt a DIY unless you know exactly what you're doing. I've just completed an exhaustive exercise trying to get an autogauge diesel tach to my diesel swift, and it CANT be done.

On a petrol, it can. The guy you bought it from should be able to do it. The petrol swift has the rpm signal source from the ecu, and it's a simple hookup. Should cost you about 200 bucks.
In your exhaustive exercise, have you found any good and worthy installers in Bombay, to connect the signal wire to the ECU.

You mentioned Rs.200 labor, who and where?

UM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks