Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 14:09   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
It's pretty straightforward, but don't attempt a DIY unless you know exactly what you're doing. I've just completed an exhaustive exercise trying to get an autogauge diesel tach to my diesel swift, and it CANT be done.

On a petrol, it can. The guy you bought it from should be able to do it. The petrol swift has the rpm signal source from the ecu, and it's a simple hookup. Should cost you about 200 bucks.

OR...take it to M.A.S.S. They'll charge you a little more, but I think it's worth it to prevent someone unauthorized from tinkering with your ECU. Speak to the Works Manager at your M.A.S.S, and they'll do it for you. Make sure you take the tach installation manual with you.
Thank You,

I have bought the Tacho in U.S,it came with an installation manual. the M.A.A.S here are indeed very helpful, it is a safer bet in one way to get it done by them,since they have proper equipment and technicians.I just give my car for getting it done.will update pics once done.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:50   #242
BANNED

Any idea if the Tacho from the A-Star or Ritz can be fitted to the Alto? How much would it cost?
Old 15th July 2009, 15:57   #243
BANNED

I doubt whether the Ritz will work - 4 cyl against 3. A-Star should! Check out
Old 15th July 2009, 20:33   #244
BANNED

Saw a tacho for Rs.1500 today. Didn't have a shift light, just a movable needle to set a a marker. Some German brand. Is it worth it?
Old 16th July 2009, 12:37   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
In your exhaustive exercise, have you found any good and worthy installers in Bombay, to connect the signal wire to the ECU.

You mentioned Rs.200 labor, who and where?

UM
My exhaustive exercise took more than 6 weeks, and involved going to 5 different reputed garages, 3 different experts, doing hours of research, and then eventually going to MASS, who contacted Mico, Bosch, and MUL, send them copies of the manual. Bottom line... MUL contacted MASS and said it can't be done in an diesel swift.

You haven't mentioned whether you've got a diesel or a petrol. If it's a diesel, don't waste your time. It can't be done.
If it's a petrol, then the guy you bought the tach from should be able to fit it for you. Or... go to MASS. They'll charge you a little more, but you'll be in safe hands.
Old 16th July 2009, 13:05   #246
BHPian

Quote:
My exhaustive exercise took more than 6 weeks, and involved going to 5 different reputed garages, 3 different experts, doing hours of research, and then eventually going to MASS, who contacted Mico, Bosch, and MUL, send them copies of the manual. Bottom line... MUL contacted MASS and said it can't be done in an diesel swift.

You haven't mentioned whether you've got a diesel or a petrol. If it's a diesel, don't waste your time. It can't be done.
If it's a petrol, then the guy you bought the tach from should be able to fit it for you. Or... go to MASS. They'll charge you a little more, but you'll be in safe hands.
Thanks for the info. That sure was a exhaustive exercise.

Mine is a petrol and not a Maruti, a Hyundai Santro that also has the same problem as Swift - Dual ignition coils.

1. I cant find a DIS compatible Tacho anywhere in Mumbai.
2. I cant find the Autometer DIS adapter anywhere in Mumbai.
3. I know that a Normal tacho with 4 cyl setting will work, but needs to be connected to the ECU. But cant find any competent fitter to carry out this connection.
4. Hyundai A.S.S flatly declined fitting a Tacho to the ECU, even though a limited edition of Santro had a Tacho in the instrument console. So they should be knowing / it will be mentioned in the LE Santro manual, how it is to be fitted. They are just unwilling to help.

therefore I was asking if you found a good, competent fitter in Mumbai who you would trust to wire the tacho to the ECU.

Any inputs or any other option i may have over looked ??

UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 16th July 2009 at 13:09.
Old 16th July 2009, 13:18   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That sure was a exhaustive exercise.

Mine is a petrol and not a Maruti, a Hyundai Santro that also has the same problem as Swift - Dual ignition coils.

1. I cant find a DIS compatible Tacho anywhere in Mumbai.
2. I cant find the Autometer DIS adapter anywhere in Mumbai.
3. I know that a Normal tacho with 4 cyl setting will work, but needs to be connected to the ECU. But cant find any competent fitter to carry out this connection.
4. Hyundai A.S.S flatly declined fitting a Tacho to the ECU, even though a limited edition of Santro had a Tacho in the instrument console. So they should be knowing / it will be mentioned in the LE Santro manual, how it is to be fitted. They are just unwilling to help.

therefore I was asking if you found a good, competent fitter in Mumbai who you would trust to wire the tacho to the ECU.

Any inputs or any other option i may have over looked ??

UM
Try:

1. Pai Auto Electric in Shivaji Park. They're in the same lane as 'Manmohan Car Accessories', very close to City light market.

2. Also call Four Seasons (tardeo). Speak to either Lalith or Reza. Ask them if they can do it, they might be able to.

3. Alternately, what you can do is this. Identify the head electrician at your Hyundai A.S.S. Take him aside, tell him to do this job privately since Hyundai isn't accommodating your request. See what he says.
Old 16th July 2009, 14:17   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Try:

1. Pai Auto Electric in Shivaji Park. They're in the same lane as 'Manmohan Car Accessories', very close to City light market.

2. Also call Four Seasons (tardeo). Speak to either Lalith or Reza. Ask them if they can do it, they might be able to.

3. Alternately, what you can do is this. Identify the head electrician at your Hyundai A.S.S. Take him aside, tell him to do this job privately since Hyundai isn't accommodating your request. See what he says.
Thanks for the contact. Will check with them this weekend.
Iam posting the details for others future reference.
PAI Auto Electric Works
Mr Ranjit Singh Jassal
+(91)-(22)-24458652, 24454681, 24446722, 32501813
+(91)-(22)-26176169
B M C Chawl Plot 197, Behind City Light Cinema, Gopi Tank Road No 5, Shivaji Park, Mumbai - 400016

Have spoken to Four Seasons - Raza, as per him, he would import the DIS compatible tacho with 2 cly setting ( SUNPRO ) and connect it to one of the Dual ignition system. But too expensive.

For the Diesel Swift,
Doesn't the Swift come with a tacho ?
If yes then you can only connect the shift light as it is seprately avaliable.
I remember someone on this forum connecting the lone shift light to the Rpm singal wire in the instrument console. No tamering with the coil or the ECU. The lone shift light comes with a setting to adjust at what rpm it comes on.

Just thinking aloud.

EDIT :-
just checked, LDI tacho not available , VDI tacho available.

UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 16th July 2009 at 14:29.
Old 16th July 2009, 14:37   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the contact. Will check with them this weekend.

For the Diesel Swift,
Doesn't the Swift come with a tacho ?
If yes then you can only connect the shift light as it is seprately avaliable.
I remember someone on this forum connecting the lone shift light to the Rpm singal wire in the instrument console. No tamering with the coil or the ECU. The lone shift light comes with a setting to adjust at what rpm it comes on.

Just thinking aloud.

EDIT :-

UM
Yup. When I bought mine in October '08, there was a 2-3 month waiting period for all of them. But through a contact I managed to get an Ldi immediately. I got MASS to put in the factory fitted power windows, and I slapped some 15" alloys and Yoko A-drives. But the lack of a tacho's always bothered me. Oh well... guess I'll have to live without it.
Old 16th July 2009, 15:42   #250
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
But the lack of a tacho's always bothered me. Oh well... guess I'll have to live without it.
I am so sorry that it did not work out for you. But with a Swift diesel model already having a tachometer as standard, I am totally surprised as to why an external tachometer cannot be installed.

A tachometer is not ABS or airbag!

Sorry again!
Old 16th July 2009, 15:48   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

I am so sorry that it did not work out for you. But with a Swift diesel model already having a tachometer as standard, I am totally surprised as to why an external tachometer cannot be installed.

A tachometer is not ABS or airbag!

Sorry again!
The answer to this is the same problem iam facing. the A.S.S wont take the effort to connect the rpm signal wire to the ECU, where the VDI standard fitment Tacho get its inputs from. Mostly the wiring harness is different between the LDI and VDI and so a separate wire will have to be pulled from the from ECU.

This where both Hyundai and MUL decline.

UM
Old 16th July 2009, 15:55   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious55 View Post
Saw a tacho for Rs.1500 today. Didn't have a shift light, just a movable needle to set a a marker. Some German brand. Is it worth it?
What was the brand? and what was the build quality like? Also hows your hunt for A-Star or Ritz Tach coming along? I need a simple tach for my zen (old model too), any idea on prices of these OEM Tachs ?
Old 16th July 2009, 16:00   #253
Senior - BHPian

any suggestions to buy a tacho online?
Old 17th July 2009, 10:07   #254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
What was the brand? and what was the build quality like? Also hows your hunt for A-Star or Ritz Tach coming along? I need a simple tach for my zen (old model too), any idea on prices of these OEM Tachs ?
Forgot the brand. Some German one. Quality was good. Still no info on the OEM's.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:36   #255
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious55 View Post
Still no info on the OEM's.
I reckon going to a M.A.S.S and asking the guy who handles the stockroom is the best way to go about this. I'm planning on visiting my M.A.S.S outlet tomorrow, if time permits.

Wil give you guys an update on this if it happens.

Most Viewed