Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:41   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tachometers

Anyone have any idea where I could score a tach which can be fixed in a nano? Has to be one which works on 2 cylinder engines unlike what's commonly available for 4 cylinder engines
Old 20th December 2013, 15:30   #497
Senior - BHPian

I want to do either of the below for my Wagon R CNG:

1) Instal the Ritz Tachometer. Only reason-The backlight is amber and will correspond with the speedo backlight. The A Star tacho is red.

2) Auto gauge 2" tacho-May be basic. Only need the RPMs. Shift light is not compulsory. What should be the approx. cost and reliable place of purchase?

3) Good reliable installers in Mumbai/ Thane(I stay in Thane so Eastern Suburb Installation suggestions all the more welcome. Will it hamper the warranty in any way?

4) I wish to instal the tacho at the location of the Ritz Tacho. Can the wiring be concealed? Additionally, do we need to drill holes in the dash. That is something I would seriously like to avoid.

5) Mandatory- The back light is amber. Have kept even the HU backlight matching the speedo backlight.
Old 23rd December 2013, 00:57   #498
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I want to do either of the below for my Wagon R CNG:

1) Instal the Ritz Tachometer. Only reason-The backlight is amber and will correspond with the speedo backlight. The A Star tacho is red.

4) I wish to instal the tacho at the location of the Ritz Tacho. Can the wiring be concealed? Additionally, do we need to drill holes in the dash. That is something I would seriously like to avoid.

5) Mandatory- The back light is amber. Have kept even the HU backlight matching the speedo backlight.
For points 1, 4 & 5, Here is the answers as below.

Please check the link (Post No. 70). Easiest and Best solution plus it is a DIY.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...g-miles-5.html

All the Best!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:03   #499
Senior - BHPian

@a4anurag

Thanks for the post.

However, what should be the entire cost of the installation if I get the Ritz Tacho.

I may not be able to do a DIY but if it is professionally done, any good installers in Mumbai who could help.

Also, if I happen to go with the Auto Gauge 2" , what should the price be?
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:58   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Please check the link (Post No. 70). Easiest and Best solution plus it is a DIY.
Thanks Anurag for posting the link!
Quote:
However, what should be the entire cost of the installation if I get the Ritz Tacho.
The Tacho (Ritz Petrol) should cost you only INR 1100/- max. I paid 1037 If I remember it right.
Quote:
I may not be able to do a DIY but if it is professionally done, any good installers in Mumbai who could help.
If you can find a reliable & friendly neighborhood garage and explain him how to do it, the job wont last more than an hour and labor should not go beyond 300-500.
Quote:
Also, if I happen to go with the Auto Gauge 2" , what should the price be?
Not sure about this, Never thought about one. With the Ritz Tacho that uses TTL (Transistor Logic), the Tacho signal are drawn electronically from the ECU. An aftermarket Tacho means you will have to draw signals from the Ignition coil (and configure that depending on number of cylinders in the Engine).

Personally, if you ask me, I would simply go for the Ritz Tacho. Looks neat, almost fits like OE on the Dash and works very well. The aftermarket Tacho will at least cost you 2000 INR or above depending on size and additional features like a shift light.

EDIT: Whether you need to drill any holes-
Although the Tachometer itself will not need any holes to hold it as it fits perfectly well on a flat surface using a good quality double sided 3M tape, you will need to make a very small hole (say 3-5mm) to pull the 4 wires required for the tacho from the Dash.

Otherwise you can still pull that in a smart manner from behind/center of the dash without drilling a hole but the wires will be exposed.

Trust me, the small hole that I am referring to for wires will anyways get neatly covered when you mount the Tacho above it pasting the tape.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd December 2013 at 20:07.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 20:10   #501
Senior - BHPian

@arnabchak
The last time I checked the tachometer in the Ritz can only be fitted on the dashboard, closer to the windscreen near the right A-pillar. If you install at any other place, you will have wires showing which will look a lil tacky IMO.

Autogauge basic tachometers will cost you in the range of Rs.1100-1300 + installation charges, which any electrician at Opera House can do for Rs.150-200. Whatever the case, do update the thread.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 16:37   #502
Senior - BHPian

Dear S2

Thanks for the same!!

Will update once am done.

Any reference in Opera House?
Old 7th January 2014, 03:29   #503
BANNED

Quote:
Dear S2

Thanks for the same!!

Will update once am done.
Any updates? Still searching or fixed the Tacho?

Anurag.
Old 7th January 2014, 11:23   #504
Senior - BHPian

HI Anurag

Havent gone ahead with the fix yet.

Will probably do it in the next couple of weeks.

The tacho will more or less be the Ritz Tacho.
Old 10th April 2014, 21:37   #505

Hi Amit, Can you throwsome light on how to install an autogauage tacho to a diesel swift please if you have carried out the same?
Old 11th April 2014, 13:00   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HI Anurag

Havent gone ahead with the fix yet.

Will probably do it in the next couple of weeks.

The tacho will more or less be the Ritz Tacho.
HAving checked with a couple of FNGs and also with the MS ASC, to install the tacho on the CNG changing the ECM may be needed.

Else, they can draw the power from the PS and this may cause some problems to the PS set up in th long run.

How valid is this?

The installtion may not be very expensive but then a probable PS failure is something that cant be afforded.
Old 11th April 2014, 13:10   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HAving checked with a couple of FNGs and also with the MS ASC, to install the tacho on the CNG changing the ECM may be needed.

Else, they can draw the power from the PS and this may cause some problems to the PS set up in th long run.

How valid is this?

The installtion may not be very expensive but then a probable PS failure is something that cant be afforded.
Tacho has inputs:

1. Tacho signal
2. Backlight
3. Tachometer Power Supply
4. Ground

In my WagonR, for 2 and 3 I have made use of Power wire from 12v accessory socket and Music system respectively. In simple words, you will have lot of options to draw 12v supply inside the car.

For Ground, you have multiple options anyways.

It,s the Tacho Signal (if you are using Ritz Tacho) that you need to worry here as it requires input from the ECM (and not the ignition coil like the usual Tachos).

NOTE: There is no need to fiddle with the PS wiring to power up the tacho. Its completely invalid.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 13:16   #508
BHPian

Quote:

How valid is this?

1. 12 volts from ignition wire
2. Backlight from cluster lights wire
3. RPM from standard rpm pin outlet on harness
4. Ground wire to any bare metal point.

I dont see need for tapping into PS and what not. CNG setup doesnt play a role too.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 23:41   #509
BHPian

Can I fit a Ritz tachometer in my Santro Xing?

I live in Vellore, where we don't have accessory shops stocking tachometers, nor do we have private garages with experienced mechanics. If the answer to my query is 'yes', I can procure the meter from Maruti and get it fitted at Hyundai!

It has been a long term wish to retro fit a tacho on my Xing!
Old 24th November 2015, 17:28   #510
Senior - BHPian

Very recently I fitted a Defi Tachometer in my MPFI Zen (jelly bean).
Connected the RPM signal wire to the -ve terminal of Ignition coil and rest all connections as per the manual.
Had Zen been with Dual ignition coil, RPM signal needs to be tapped from ECU wires, but that's not the case with Zen MPFI as it has Single fire Ignition coil.
This tachometer has options to set 2 levels of Peak RPM (1st level green light & 2nd level red shift lights with beeper)
Cylinder settings from 1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7- 8
Dim light settings etc
1st Level Peak RPM light
Tachometers-dsc_0943-2.jpg

2nd Level Peak RPM lights (Beeps continously when red light glows)
Tachometers-dsc_0944-2.jpg
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed