Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 16:19   #166
BHPian

i would suggest you get this done from a electrician.

1 to the -ve side of the ignition coil.
1 cable to ground - quite simple there are plenty points in the engine bay.
1 to the lighting of your display console or tail lights - requires slicing - not good for your warranty.
1 to the engine on switch in the ignition key harness - requires slicing - not good for your warranty.

my 2 cents.

If u don't have the Autogauge fitting manual, let me know.

UM
Old 7th January 2009, 16:27   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Oh I forgot that your's was a fuel injected Alto. Does it have one ignition coils or two? If it is one, then it should still be pretty simple. I said route wires carefully because you will have to take the RPM signal wire to the engine bay if you connect it to the ignition coil. Also you will have to find the parking light power wire to tap into it for the backlighting of the tachometer.
yes mine is MPFI alto 3 cylinder. is there any different complicated process for MPFI? i guess my alto has only one ignition coil. santro has 2 ignition coils (DIS). so one wire is to be plugged to the ignition coil and one to the parkinglight. no wire is supposed to be connected to ECU or anything else?
mainly where to connect the wire on an ignition coil?
Old 7th January 2009, 16:30   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
yes mine is MPFI alto 3 cylinder. is there any different complicated process for MPFI? i guess my alto has only one ignition coil. santro has 2 ignition coils (DIS). so one wire is to be plugged to the ignition coil and one to the parkinglight. no wire is supposed to be connected to ECU or anything else?
mainly where to connect the wire on an ignition coil?
You will first have to ensure that the tachometer that you have bought will support a 3 cylinder engine. Typically Auto Gauge meters have a selector switch on them for selecting 3,4,6 & 8 cylinder engines.

For the exact wiring check the wiring instructions given with the meter. You do not need to tamper with the ECU wiring.
Old 7th January 2009, 17:00   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will first have to ensure that the tachometer that you have bought will support a 3 cylinder engine. Typically Auto Gauge meters have a selector switch on them for selecting 3,4,6 & 8 cylinder engines.

For the exact wiring check the wiring instructions given with the meter. You do not need to tamper with the ECU wiring.
i checked some posts on the net and i think that for MPFI engines one needs to connect the wire to the ECU rpm signals. for normal CDI engines u can connect it to ignition coil. is this true?
Old 7th January 2009, 17:03   #170
Senior - BHPian

Have you got a wiring diagram with the tacho and can you post it here?

For a single coil ignition system you can directly tap from the coil. No need to go to the ECU. In dual coil systems you have to go for the ECU as a single coil will only show half the RPM. This has happened in a lot of Swifts that have tried to fit aftermarket tachos.
Old 7th January 2009, 17:31   #171
BHPian

Quote:
For a single coil ignition system you can directly tap from the coil. No need to go to the ECU. In dual coil systems you have to go for the ECU as a single coil will only show half the RPM. This has happened in a lot of Swifts that have tried to fit aftermarket tachos.
Very true, the F10D, G13B & G16B engines use DDLI (dual distributor-less ignition) & you'll have to use the RPM signal to the ECU. The F8D motor, however, still uses a single coil ignition system, hence it should be possible to connect your new tach to it & get a correct RPM signal.

I bought a GlowShift tach for use in a 2008 M800 a few months ago, but haven't found the time to install it yet. As Vikram has mentioned it is a DIY but you need to ensure proper splicing & insulation of wires as you'll need to connect the tach to, if I remember correctly, 1) a 12V source, 2) ground, 3) parking light source, & 4) the RPM signal...

I can post the wiring digram that came with my tach, I guess it can be used as a reference.
Old 7th January 2009, 23:02   #172
Senior - BHPian

here is what i could get from the net. i can guess for dual coil u need to tap one wire from the ignition coil and another from ECU.
Attached Thumbnails
Tachometers-screen-snaper-image.jpg  

Old 7th January 2009, 23:11   #173
BHPian

Hey guys here is the 2" AutoGauge 7 colour tacho fitted in my Zen Lx. Posing the pamphlets that came along with the tacho.
Attached Thumbnails
Tachometers-myzen_tacho.jpg  

Tachometers-tacho_lit1.jpg  

Tachometers-tacho_lit2.jpg  

Old 8th January 2009, 11:03   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Hey guys here is the 2" AutoGauge 7 colour tacho fitted in my Zen Lx. Posing the pamphlets that came along with the tacho.
@gaddiwale,
That's a nice looking Tacho. I too had the same(autogauge) in my Zen VX, but forgot to remove it when i was selling the car. It's really a nice tacho which supports 3, 4, 6 cylinders.
By the way how much did u pay for it? Nd where did u get it.
I'm planning to put the same in my Santro now, but unable to find the tacho anywhere in Bangalore
Attached Thumbnails
Tachometers-image346.jpg  

Old 8th January 2009, 13:11   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thats a cool tacho, but i guess it doesnt have a shift light. what is the model number. i think this is not available in 2" now.
mainly doesnt 2" look too small. i have seen smoked 2" tachos with the dealer. smoked ones look cool.
Old 8th January 2009, 16:53   #176
BHPian

@sushrutha
Thanks. I got it from the shop called Sainath at Opera House in Mumbai for Rs. 1300 + Rs.250 for installation.

@amit_mechengg
Yes it doesn't have a shift light. Really, "smoked" one looks hot, but that can "burn" your pocket!
Old 9th January 2009, 12:23   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Very true, the F10D, G13B & G16B engines use DDLI (dual distributor-less ignition) & you'll have to use the RPM signal to the ECU. The F8D motor, however, still uses a single coil ignition system, hence it should be possible to connect your new tach to it & get a correct RPM signal.

I bought a GlowShift tach for use in a 2008 M800 a few months ago, but haven't found the time to install it yet. As Vikram has mentioned it is a DIY but you need to ensure proper splicing & insulation of wires as you'll need to connect the tach to, if I remember correctly, 1) a 12V source, 2) ground, 3) parking light source, & 4) the RPM signal...

I can post the wiring digram that came with my tach, I guess it can be used as a reference.
hi srini, i just called up an engineer with the MUL A.S.S and asked about the iginiton coil on alto. he says that alto has dual ignition system, primary and secondary circuit. now this is quite confusing.

the glowshift tach looks good. whats the price? i dont think is availabe here in Pune/Mumbai.
Old 9th January 2009, 13:53   #178
BHPian

Quote:
hi srini, i just called up an engineer with the MUL A.S.S and asked about the iginiton coil on alto. he says that alto has dual ignition system, primary and secondary circuit. now this is quite confusing.
Hi Amit, a typical ignition coil looks like this...
Tachometers-ignitioncoil_3.jpg
... & is usually attached to the firewall. Just follow the spark-plug leads to the distributor & from there to the ignition coil. Ignition coils are basically transformers & internally have 2 coils, a primary & a secondary. I'm not sure if the engineer at the service center you approached was referring to these.
Tachometers-ignitioncoil_2.jpg
Anyways, I'm speaking from looking at the F8D in the M800. But I don't think it differs much from the one in the Alto (other than the 12-valve head of course). Another thing is that the stock DDLI unit is from Lucas & is the same for the F10D, G13B, & G16B. It sits atop one spark-plug & has a lead to an adjoining plug (wasted spark). I'm not sure how such a unit would be used in a 3-pot engine like the F8D.

Quote:
the glowshift tach looks good. whats the price? i dont think is availabe here in Pune/Mumbai.
The GlowShift tach I got was selling at a discount at that time & costed around $44 (I think) when I got it. During those days, the dollar was hovering around 39.5 INR, hence I paid around 1.7K for the tach. I had it shipped to a friend who was on-site, who then brought it home
Old 9th January 2009, 16:05   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@sushrutha
Thanks. I got it from the shop called Sainath at Opera House in Mumbai for Rs. 1300 + Rs.250 for installation.
Hey that's a good price for that Tacho
I had paid 1850 Including installation some 3 years back
Let me know if he still holds one more piece of it, I shall certainly buy one
for my Santro
Old 10th January 2009, 12:52   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can you post a clear picture of your car's engine bay. We should be able to make out if it is single coil or dual coil.

Most Viewed