Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 13:49   #106
BHPian

Hi NoidaBoy, as Viper says the F8D engine will rev to 6,500 RPM & in fact hits it's stride at around 3500 RPM ! Has your tach been set to 3-cylinders ? Most tachs aren't designed for 3 pot engines but rather 4, 6, & 8 cylinder engines.

Purolator had a 3-cylinder tach that I was using in my old M800 (costed me around Rs.800 in 1998), not sure if it's available now. Come to think of it, it was rather difficult to find even then !

Last edited by im_srini : 9th July 2008 at 13:55.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:23   #107
Senior - BHPian

Got a quote of 4k autogauge for a 3 cylinder engine without a shift light in pune. i think this is damn costly. how much will it cost in mumbai milan subway. i want one with 7 colors and a shift light.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:51   #108
BHPian

Guys, even am looking for a NOT very expensive tacho for my 800, please suggest one and from where I can order one.
Old 21st July 2008, 22:55   #109
BHPian

Hi can anyone explain how does the tacho work is it discussed earlier ? I must have missed it !! Does it work on the alternator ? IF it is so, is it possible to fit tachometers to diesel vehicle s which do not come fit with one as original equipment ?
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:56   #110
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> it possible to fit tachometers to diesel vehicle s which do not come fit with > one as original equipment ?

Yes.

Please don't ask for dealers etc as I am not aware of those details. I have seen the RPM being checked with a digital RPM meter connected to the alternator.
Old 22nd July 2008, 20:53   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

> it possible to fit tachometers to diesel vehicle s which do not come fit with > one as original equipment ?

Yes.

Please don't ask for dealers etc as I am not aware of those details. I have seen the RPM being checked with a digital RPM meter connected to the alternator.
How does it eacxtly work the hook up to the alternator was for some diagnostic purpose in your case ? Do reply
Regards
SaaJan
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:19   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hi m-hawk,

> How does it eacxtly work the hook up to the alternator was for some
> diagnostic purpose in your case ? Do reply

No technical knowledge! I had taken my plain vanilla Indica DLE for Autoclutch fitment to Coimbatore. This needs to have an input of RPM for its functioning and so the input was taken from the alternator and they were checking the connection with the handheld digital tachometer.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:32   #113
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,
My 97/carb 800 has a custom built alternator with specific parts fitted from the
esteems' alternator.i want to install a tacho on my 800 ,will this have any adverse
affect since tacho's are connected to the alternator ???
Old 13th August 2008, 10:23   #114
BHPian

Hi Sumeet, I don't think tachs for the M800 connect to the alternator, but rather to the ignition coil. I seem to remember that the old Pricol tachs also connected to the ignition coil.

I'd recently received a tach for my M800, & it's install instructions also involve connecting it to the ignition coil.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:35   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Sumeet, I don't think tachs for the M800 connect to the alternator, but rather to the ignition coil. I seem to remember that the old Pricol tachs also connected to the ignition coil.

I'd recently received a tach for my M800, & it's install instructions also involve connecting it to the ignition coil.
HI srini,
Let me take your advice.Was there any problems after getting the tacho fixed on your car.I mean did it like put load on the battery or anything like that.

Thanks
Old 14th August 2008, 09:49   #116
Senior - BHPian

Sumeet, for cars with carbs, the tachos sense from the ignition coil. Most tachos have a setting for the number of cylinders, 4, 6, or 8 etc.. That is because they count the number of pulses sent to the distributor and the number of cylinders setting tells them how many sparks comprise one revolution.
There is no drain on the battery and no other adverse effects to worry about.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:57   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Sumeet, for cars with carbs, the tachos sense from the ignition coil. Most tachos have a setting for the number of cylinders, 4, 6, or 8 etc.. That is because they count the number of pulses sent to the distributor and the number of cylinders setting tells them how many sparks comprise one revolution.
There is no drain on the battery and no other adverse effects to worry about.
hey thanks man,
i was thinking of putting a tacho on my 800 for a long time but was hesitant since i am not a big fan of electronic accessories as i have had a bad experience with the autocop alarm system.That darn thing cost me 2 batteries and a lot of headache espeically at night.
Old 15th August 2008, 15:27   #118
Senior - BHPian

Fitted Shift Light Tachometer on my 800

Hi,
Guys finally after a lot thought i went in for a good quality tacho for my 800.Its a Auto Guage one ,cost me 2100 + 50 for fitting.Got it fixed from
choksi motors at milan subway.I am very happy on my purchase,this tacho's got a shift light with adjustable settings for the light to come on.
Eg I can set the tacho to display the shift light to come on at various RPM settings like 2k,2k,4k etc till 10K.It's got a red display at night. Cool ha .Well i am really pleased,my only hope is it doesn't conk off or gets ripped by thieves or the like.
Will post pics as soon as possible.
Thanks to Anup and Srini for clearing my doubts on tachos.
One more thing, its got a button in the centre.I dont know what it is for.Anybody has a idea what it could be for?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 15th August 2008 at 15:30.
Old 15th August 2008, 16:38   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
One more thing, its got a button in the centre.I dont know what it is for.Anybody has a idea what it could be for?
Probably a small lid/cap covering a screw to make zero adjustment of the meter.
Old 15th August 2008, 17:23   #120
Senior - BHPian

okay now i have a query here and i NEED HELP!

take a look at think linky
the autoguage says they have tachos for diesel and their dealer ship is in India too but they have not put up the address of the dealer now i am help less can some one give me pointers to the same?

Product Detail

Products

Company

guys need the pointer badly for my SWIFT LDI! please!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks