Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 17:38   #1
BANNED

Esteem 1996 Restoration / Modification

Hi all,

I have a Maruti Esteem'96 model which i want to pep up... I am thinking of the following:

1. Complete re-paint
2. HID Projection Kit
3. Mag Wheels and alloys
4. Sports Seats
5. Sports Gear Knob
6. Sports Steering
7. Some performance improvements (which i dont know what should/could do)

I need your help with:

1. How much the above could cost?
2. Is it worth spending on an old car?
3. Will an old car be able to take the load of performance kits, HIDs etc...
4. Last but not the least which is the best place in NCR region to get these done, from some posts i got to know Autophysce or Pandit & company are good places for these.

Waiting for your valuable suggestions...

Udit
Old 16th October 2009, 20:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

My answers in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by udit78 View Post
Hi all,

I have a Maruti Esteem'96 model which i want to pep up... I am thinking of the following:

1. Complete re-paint 20K(depends on how much rust/tinwork, can go +_ 5K)
2. HID Projection Kit 6-8K
3. Mag Wheels and alloys Depends on the size(ranges from 3-7k a Piece)
4. Sports Seats (Recaro lookalikes go for 15k)
5. Sports Gear Knob (Momo lookalikes for 1-2K)
6. Sports Steering (Momo Lookalike for 1-2K)
7. Some performance improvements (which i dont know what should/could do)(FFE, Port/Polish, Filter,Webber carbs=30-40K)

I need your help with:

1. How much the above could cost? (total it )
2. Is it worth spending on an old car?(yes and no ask me why)
3. Will an old car be able to take the load of performance kits, HIDs etc...electrical load is absolutely a no no in an esteem, you will have to change the whole wiring anyways since its a 13 year old car+ you need a bigger alternator as all the esteems suffer from voltage issue
4. Last but not the least which is the best place in NCR region to get these done, from some posts i got to know Autophysce or Pandit & company are good places for these.

Again depends on your budget and quality of work required

Waiting for your valuable suggestions...

Udit
There are mostly two types people who take such a projects, ones who cannot afford an upgrade at the moment the second ones are auto enthusiast and know the actual value and potential of the car. For the later money is not a constraint. Lets be realistic do you actually need all this on this one? if your answer is yes then go for it.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 16th October 2009 at 20:07.
Old 16th October 2009, 20:30   #3
BANNED

Pramod,

Thanks for quick reply, as you can see from my signature, i do not need a newer car for now as i have City VTEC... so i fall in the 2nd category... i can spend a maximum of a lakh...

With this, which place is the best to go for, where i will get the best quality and value for money...

People please help...
Old 16th October 2009, 20:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
3. Will an old car be able to take the load of performance kits, HIDs etc...electrical load is absolutely a no no in an esteem, you will have to change the whole wiring anyways since its a 13 year old car+ you need a bigger alternator as all the esteems suffer from voltage issue
what does performance kit have to do with electricity?

HIDs will consume less current and so the load on the alternator is less. As long as you are not installing a huge amp or something you are A.O.K.
Old 16th October 2009, 21:46   #5
BANNED

I already have an AMP in it, so electricity load will be for AMP, HID kit etc...

What all shld i look for performance add-ons, i dont have much knowledge on it, but want to improve the car's performance...
Old 16th October 2009, 22:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pramod,

Thanks for quick reply, as you can see from my signature, i do not need a newer car for now as i have City VTEC... so i fall in the 2nd category... i can spend a maximum of a lakh...

With this, which place is the best to go for, where i will get the best quality and value for money...

People please help...
Take it to pandit & co. our member iraghava got his city done up there(search for dhanno) your other option Autopsyche is not getting good reviews lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
what does performance kit have to do with electricity?

HIDs will consume less current and so the load on the alternator is less. As long as you are not installing a huge amp or something you are A.O.K.
The problem is always assumption . my horns used to die in my esteem when ever the music system was on full blast, and the wiper used to really struggle during nights when the headlights were on. I am aware that HID consumes less (a lot less power). The alternator is the weakest link in an esteem and people who know esteem will will not leave that area unattended but any ways.

Quote:
I already have an AMP in it, so electricity load will be for AMP, HID kit etc...

What all shld i look for performance add-ons, i dont have much knowledge on it, but want to improve the car's performance...
As far as the performance upgrades are concerned you have a few options
1.Get your engine rebuilt and get it ported and polished with a free flow exhaust webber carbs and free flow filter(cheap and reliable)
2. Get a GTI 1.3 twin cam head and use the exhisting bottom half of the engine plus do everything in option one(much better than option one and yet reliable but expensive)
3.Get a baleno 1.6 engine and do everything in option one
4. You also have a 1.6 Twin cam suzuki head(you can try option 2 using this one as well)

By doing all this you will have a car that goes fast in a straight line, if you want it to handle well arround the corners get the suspension done(options like pedders and konis are very popular), With all this mods you need better breaking, so get crossed drilled rottors and bigger pads plus wider tyres.

Udit, mod is just a subject with endless possibilities, its better you do not approach a tunner with these questions, chances are you might end up getting fleceed, you have a lot of info about mods on Team BHP itself, i would love to call it a bible, please use the search function and do a lot of reaserch before spending even 1 rupee. To start with you can have the car tinkered and painted all these Mods can follow, decide now if you want it to look like type 1, 2 or 3 because their body pannels differ, they are inter-changable, but you need to procure them. Please feel free to ask me anything you want to ask about an esteem i owned a real "lemon" in delhi for close to 3 years and i happen to know places to source reliable and cheap spares in delhi.

Pramod
Old 17th October 2009, 10:23   #7
BANNED

Appreciate ur help Pramod, i will take it to Pandit & co... and chk for the quotes and stuff...

How much does Get your engine rebuilt and get it ported and polished with a free flow exhaust webber carbs and free flow filter(cheap and reliable)

Cost?
Old 17th October 2009, 10:46   #8
BHPian

Sell you esteem and get a baleno

I was in a similar situation when I had my 98 esteem, thought about the following options:

1.) Go the MPFI way - 83bhp
2.) Suzuki twin cam engine - 120+ bhp - source from outside
3.) Baleno 1.6 with carbs - 94bhp - would work out cheaper
4.) Twin carb setup - good power but how much?

Before getting onto the mods, one needs to get the car in proper shape, I assume the following are in proper shape:
1.) Drive - left and right
2.) Steering joints & columns
3.) Wheel bearing
4.) Gear box & its mounting
5.) Suspension - struts, lower arms, bushes ( may need to change, esteem handles like a boat)
6.) Radiator
7.) Fan
8.) Alternator
9.) Niggling electrical issues, if sticking to carb get the wiring completly changed, should come between 10-15k...
10.) Brake disc & pads
11.) Check for rust - biggest killer..

The option 2 will set you back easily by at least 1.25 lakhs for the MPFI, then improving the tyres, braking, suspension, some ICE will come close to 2 lakhs.. Do you really want to go this way?

Option 3 will set me back by 65k just for the engine plonking - source bhpian psycho

Option 1 & 4 - don remember the rates but they are not cheap either...

I sold my esteem for 90k & brought a 2006 baleno
Old 17th October 2009, 11:23   #9
BANNED

Oops... does not make sense to go beyond 1 L on this ... what to do... i am confused...
Old 17th October 2009, 11:25   #10
BANNED

How much can i get for my esteem, it is in very good running condition and how much will a baleno 2006 cost?
Old 17th October 2009, 12:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
How much can i get for my esteem, it is in very good running condition and how much will a baleno 2006 cost?
You should get a 2006 lxi baleno betwen 2.3-2.7 lakhs. That would save you a lot of time you would spend running around to get the mods done on the esteem. With a stock baleno, few minor mods like FFE, port-polish, ECU would get you beyond 100bhp on power (I can be wrong here).

For the esteem a max of 70k if selling to the dealer, well u can bargain more if you have better tyres, parts in mechanically working condition..

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 17th October 2009 at 12:20.
Old 17th October 2009, 21:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a sensible decision, As always said going for a project this size is always a heart over mind decision, There is a saying "Fast and cheap won't be reliable, reliable and cheap won't be fast, fast and reliable won't be cheap".

Udit i lost my esteem in a crazy crash. I loved this one. she was my first car, a lot of hard earned money. I learned a lot on it, i remember i just changed all my struts once to after market ones for no reason and later had to revert back. I took care of the smallest possible rattles, i spent huge money on alloys and tyres just a month before that crash happened. My point here is despite of all this when i was asking myself and team BHP wether i should rebuild the car, the answer was no, because everyone wanted my safty. Udit, no one can stop you from deciding something but we all want to be part of a decision which will be beneficial to you.

If I was you I would have sold the esteem and picked up a used zen with the good body line. Then i would have gone to jama mazjid/Mayapuri and brought a used baleno engine, there are some good tuners who can take care of the transplant. for 1.5 to 1.75 lac you would have a pocket rocket which will serve you good and will be easy on the pocket to maintain, i mean a E Zen can give a stock RS a run for its money, so imagine what a b z would do. you can trade your esteem to a dealer for a zen and you will get good price for you esteem.

If you like the idea of the zen then do it this way

Step1:Pickup a zen with absolutely no body work (forget the number of owners, more the merrier)

Step2:Get the suspension upgraded to Konis and breaks upgraded (immediately)

Step3: Get some nice 14" wheels and tyres(in 2-3 months time)

Step4:Look for some good baleno(esteem engine in the 15k Price range) in 25-30k price range(no ECU/Wiring harness, go for carb setup less complicated and easy on pocket)(whenever the pocket permits, never trade your old engine keep it as it might come in handy)

Step 5:Have the new engine completely done up to taste(FFE, Porting/polishing And CAI)

Enjoy the awesome power and the best part is get it serviced at MASS, but if you still feel power thirsty go for a super charger, want more go for a turbo charger, If you want ,more then man you've got some serious issues . Have fun

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 17th October 2009 at 21:41.
Old 29th October 2009, 21:04   #13
BANNED

Hi, I am back... I am now thinking not to spend too much but yet make the car look better... i.e. focus only on exterior beautification.

Looking for suggestions to what all should i go for?

I want to:

1. Get it re-painted. It is wine color, what color would u suggest as replacement?
2. Get alloys. Which brand should i look for?
3. Get HID. Which brand? Do i need to change the wiring?
4. What does K&N filter do? Should i go for it?
5. Exhaust Mufler. Any specific brand?

Please suggest more...

Budget: 50k

Lastly, which is the best place in delhi, preferably south delhi to get all these done at 1 place itself.

Waiting for replies...
Udit
Old 29th October 2009, 23:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
There is a saying "Fast and cheap won't be reliable, reliable and cheap won't be fast, fast and reliable won't be cheap".
fast and reliable need not be expensive too - needs a little hard-work, that's all - there's a saying No pain, no gain !

Quote:
Looking for suggestions to what all should i go for?
1. Get it re-painted. It is wine color, what color would u suggest as replacement?
Anything you fancy, just make sure that the body preparation is done properly with the best materials you can afford, make sure you supervise every step, and check every inch of the work at every step.

Quote:
2. Get alloys. Which brand should i look for?
Any brand with warranty will do, avoid the cheap imports w/o brand and warranty

Quote:
3. Get HID. Which brand? Do i need to change the wiring?
You can buy a HID kit from ebay.com or dealextreme.com , however it's recommended that you buy the clear lens headlights to fit these - the kits come with all the wiring and stuff. My personal opinion, stick to good 100/90 or 130/100 bulbs.

Quote:
4. What does K&N filter do? Should i go for it?
hmm, from my experience - doesn't do anything worth the 3k on a stock/near stock car . My opinion - not untill you do something to the car first to warrant a better filter.

Quote:
5. Exhaust Mufler. Any specific brand?
Hmm , muffler will just make noise - if you need performance - get a proper free flow exhaust with tuned length header (as per your driving needs!)

On a related note I'd suggest you first fix all issues in the car from a good MASS/garage and then do things to make it go fast.

A not so expensive way to get more performance would be to get a used 16V head(from mpfi esteem) and run it with two carbs(you would need to buy another carb and fabricate a manifold for the carbs)
Old 29th October 2009, 23:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
fast and reliable need not be expensive too - needs a little hard-work, that's all - there's a saying No pain, no gain !
The word expensive is too subjective, remember kissika chutta, kissiki daulat

Finding "the reliable tooner" is a mammoth task, so it just dosent stop at the pain.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks