Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 12:47   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Epic : Llumar is always better than Garware as long as Llumar is not fake !
Hi Mithun,

Thanks for your advise. No my Llumar is definitely not fake as I had paid 10k for the entire car and it comes with a 5yr warranty. Do you have any idea if that silvery reflective finish is available in the Llumar range?
Old 9th August 2009, 13:45   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edassery View Post
I am going for a 3-year warranty CS-35 finally. Those people are not upgrading to the three-year one so I have to pay the difference in price :(
CS series comes with a 3 year warranty by default. Check this site: 3M India: CS Series

These guys are taking you for a ride !!!
Old 9th August 2009, 14:01   #378
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Mithun,

Thanks for your advise. No my Llumar is definitely not fake as I had paid 10k for the entire car and it comes with a 5yr warranty. Do you have any idea if that silvery reflective finish is available in the Llumar range?
Dont' go for silvery finish.

For ex, when you are driving with your side windows closed and if you look outside you may not be able to see outside. It'll resemble a mirror.
Old 11th August 2009, 14:24   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For ex, when you are driving with your side windows closed and if you look outside you may not be able to see outside. It'll resemble a mirror.

I thought that would be the effect from outside. How come that will be the effect from inside?

Anyway, since majority on the forum insist that Llumar is way better than Garware, I will just keep my exisiting Llumar Neutral 50s on the sides and install the Air 75 in front.

Epic
Old 9th September 2009, 15:20   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Epic : Llumar is always better than Garware as long as Llumar is not fake !
Is there any rational basis for saying this? Is it only the price difference or anything else?

I recently checked and compared the technical specs of the two most commonly used (mid-range) types of the Garware and lummar films that meet the MVA-1989 which stipulates minimum 50% VLT for side glasses, and 70% for the rear glass. And following were the findings.

For Side Glasses:(50% VLT)

Brand == Garware ///// Llummar
Type == NR grey/charcoal 50 ///// AT50GRSRHPR (gray) AT50GRSRHPR(charcoal)

VLT == 52-55% ///// 55%
Total Solar Energy rejected == 29% ///// 26-28%
UV rejection == >98% ///// 99%

For rear glass (70% VLT)
Brand == Garware ///// Llummar
Type == Ice-Cool70 ///// PP70AGSRHPR (silver)
VLT == 70% ///// 70%
Total Solar Energy rejected == 40% ///// 38%
UV rejection == >98% ///// 99%

(Warranty on Garware products 1-5 years and on Llummar normally 5 yrs).

So technically I do not see anything significant to say that Llummar is better than Garware.

One advantage I see with Garware is the film is imprinted with the VLT%. So in case of a debate with Cops, one hopefully settle the issue easily.
Old 9th September 2009, 17:28   #381
BHPian

hi,

Some of the members mentioned about Garware sunfilm - I recently got Garware Classic on windows and rear-glass for Rs 1500/-.

When I asked the car accessory guy how to know if its original - he showed me on the sunfilm roll - 'Garware Sunfilms' written in black over one corner, over the film.

Is that enough to say it is genuine? How do I identify if the sunfilm is genuine - and if it is - then is it Garware Classic or something much cheaper?

Thanks.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:25   #382
BANNED

psp62in : Good research !

Could you please post the prices of both ?
Old 9th September 2009, 23:07   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
One advantage I see with Garware is the film is imprinted with the VLT%. So in case of a debate with Cops, one hopefully settle the issue easily.
Hi - I am not able to see VLT% on the Garware Classic I bought - what if the person putting the sunfilm cuts out the VLT% mark if it is on the side - or may be if this is 'always' true for Garware sunfilms (checked their website, it doesnt mention about this mark) then is it that I bought a duplicate one? Thinking out loud ...
Old 9th September 2009, 23:21   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mithun, I got Classic for around 1.5k and NP is a series above Classic, which I believe is for 2k.

By the way, Good job psp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post
hi,

Some of the members mentioned about Garware sunfilm - I recently got Garware Classic on windows and rear-glass for Rs 1500/-.

When I asked the car accessory guy how to know if its original - he showed me on the sunfilm roll - 'Garware Sunfilms' written in black over one corner, over the film.

Is that enough to say it is genuine? How do I identify if the sunfilm is genuine - and if it is - then is it Garware Classic or something much cheaper?

Thanks.
Brilliantlights, I'm having Garware Classic on my Santro.

The Classic box is a mix of light green and blue with a warranty card inside the film roll. The box is sealed with Garware 3D Holograms, and an inspection sticker mentioning Visible Light Tranmission and name of the guy who inspected (something like is ther towards one end of the box.

The price you paid is completely fine, don't worry on the aspect.

I'm attaching pics from the Classic box I retained for warranty purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
Sun Film-090920092076.jpg  

Sun Film-090920092077.jpg  

Sun Film-090920092078.jpg  

Old 10th September 2009, 11:31   #385
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Mithun and TSK13.

I chose not to mention the prices because for both the brands they will vary by the specific type/grade of the film you choose. However, Garware generally varies between 1500-3500 whereas LLumar is 4000-6000+. Also the higher VLT% grades are costlier than lower VLT for both the brands. But certainly Garware is cheaper. (One convinient aspect with Garware that it also comes in a combination pack of 50% VLT film for side glasses and 70% VLT film for rear glass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post
Hi - I am not able to see VLT% on the Garware Classic I bought - what if the person putting the sunfilm cuts out the VLT% mark if it is on the side - or may be if this is 'always' true for Garware sunfilms (checked their website, it doesnt mention about this mark) then is it that I bought a duplicate one? Thinking out loud ...
Hi brilliantlights. I am not sure if it is ALWAYS true that all garware grades have this marking. AFAIK, those grades of Garware which meet the 50 & 70% VLT have this marking towards one edge of the film. And yes, it is indeed possible that the same can get cut during installation. I doubt if you would get fakes for such products.

IMPORTANT: Please note that not all grades available in market (of both the brands) meet the MVA requirement, already stated earlier. So one has to be careful while selecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK13
I'm attaching pics from the Classic box I retained for warranty purposes.
Hi TSK13, your pic shows box sticker with VLT= 29% (Am I reading it correctly?). In that case it does not meet the MVA rules, and you better be careful.
Old 11th September 2009, 20:08   #386
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I am getting the same rates for Garware classic and 3M SP50(Executive), please let me know which one would be better to go for.

Thanks,

Kartik
Old 11th September 2009, 23:47   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Dear Friends,

I am getting the same rates for Garware classic and 3M SP50(Executive), please let me know which one would be better to go for.

Thanks,

Kartik
Kartik, Classic is available in 8 different shades in which both VLT and Heat Rejection is better than specs of 3M SP50.

Comparing Dark Natural Ash shade of Classic (I'm having) with 3M SP50:
Visible Light Transmission: G(25%) | 3M(52%)
Heat Rejection: G(45%) | 3M(29%)
UV: Same
Verdict: Garware better.

Some lighter shades in Classic series may have more VLT and less Heat Rejection but AFAIK they stand better than 3M's specs. Garware is a good quality film and performs extremely well, provided you buy the original in Classic box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Thanks Mithun and TSK13.

Hi TSK13, your pic shows box sticker with VLT= 29% (Am I reading it correctly?). In that case it does not meet the MVA rules, and you better be careful.
Pleasure. You read it wrong, it's VLT=25% (Apoligies for the mediocre pic). But still one is able to see the interiors so it's not much of a problem. I have the same shade on white i20 but its more darker, maybe because of white colour. Prior to this, I had Llumar (the cheapest one) on Santro and it was sheer rubbish.

My present combination is of Garware Classic (45% heat rejection) and Ice Cool Shield for front (Heat Rejection=50%) and the car remains cooler than before. When I first got Classic for i20, the film roll covered sides + rear(Single piece) of i20, rear of Santro (Single piece) and one rear glass of Santro. Pure Value for Money. I was so impressed with the shade that I got another roll for Santro and filmed the sides.

Regarding the Garware Film as per the Rules, there is Garware Classic Lite. No idea about the rest.
Old 12th September 2009, 10:41   #388
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Muthun, I have silvery finish sunfilm on my i10. Actually, this is a pre-owned i10 that I purchased.

Initially, i didnt bother much about the sunfilm. But after looking at some extremely good looking sunfilms, i was taken aback. To me mine now looks soo very cheap.

I do not want to spend that much money but I just want to replace the existing sunfilm that would cut off heat (may be 35-40%) and look neat on my deep ocean blue i10.

Can anyone suggest me a good sun film (all side glasses, back and front windshield). My budget would be 2 - 2.5k. I have a budget constaint as I have already spend a lot on the ICE.

Thanks,
Arun
Old 12th September 2009, 12:37   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Kartik, Classic is available in 8 different shades in which both VLT and Heat Rejection is better than specs of 3M SP50.

Comparing Dark Natural Ash shade of Classic (I'm having) with 3M SP50:
Visible Light Transmission: G(25%) | 3M(52%)
Heat Rejection: G(45%) | 3M(29%)
UV: Same
Verdict: Garware better.

Some lighter shades in Classic series may have more VLT and less Heat Rejection but AFAIK they stand better than 3M's specs. Garware is a good quality film and performs extremely well, provided you buy the original in Classic box.
Hi tsk13,

Thanks for the information.

Kartik
Old 12th September 2009, 13:40   #390
Senior - BHPian

Arun

For sides and back, the Garware Classic which I have is a darker shade but provides excellent heat rejection of upto 45%. The original film in green box shall not cost you more than 1500 (the MRP I think is somewhere near 1700).

For front, please strech your budget a get and get a good branded film. I have Garware Ice Cool Shield and it provides good heat rejection with a cool green tint. If budget is not permitting at the moment, get the sides and rear done and you shall experience a considerable reduction in heat level.

Last edited by tsk13 : 12th September 2009 at 13:43.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed