Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:39   #886
BHPian

Re: Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesmith View Post
Friends

I am on the look out for sunfims for my White Lancer. After reading the posts here i decided on 3M RE50 for the sides and Garware icecool for the windshield.

I checked out at few places at trivandrum and nobody seems to have 3M/V Kool. All i was quoted was for some company called Carbon (3.5 K for sides) and Autographix(2.5K).

Could some body guide me as to where i can find 3M films and which is a reliable place in Trivandrum to get the installed

Bonesmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesmith View Post
Thanks Navinraju.

I checked out motor plaza and car palace.

Car Palace( pattom) did not have Llumar or 3M. They had Carbon and Garware.

Motor Plaza had Llumar and Garware, and agreed to get 3M on order.

He quoted RE70 at 5K for the sides.

Llumar AIR SR 75 5K for the windshield and also PP60 at 5K for the windshied.

They had garware icecool elite at 3.8 Kfor the winshield.

I enquired about RE50 from 3M and was told that it is not easily available.

Are the prices reasonable and is it worthwhile to wait for the 3M ?
Hi Bonesmith,

Just checkout "Car shoppy" at Pongumoodu Junction, they have a catalogue of the 3M series of sunfilms. I'm not sure if it's readily available but I think they can at least source it in case you need it. Llumar is readily available, so is Garware. Also keep in mind that the installation quality may or may not be good. I've taken 3 cars there (not on the same day) including mine for sunfilm installation. As luck would have it, mine was a bummer while the other 2 cars came out fine. I've installed Llumar on my car. From my personal experience, I would still not recommend them. If at all you visit that place, talk to the owner directly.

Also there is a Garware exclusive store that has recently opened up around 1 km from Chavadimukku junction en route to Kazhakkoottam. You could check them for the front windshield quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Guys I just got my new Chevy Spark which is black in colour. I wish to install some good sunfilm but don't know which one to go for.
I don't want too dark or too light. Just medium.
So please suggest me which one should I go for. And also mention the cost and the dealer from where I can get it in Mumbai.
Thanks
Not sure about where you can get it done, but being a black car, I would suggest getting the Llumar charcoal grey series. You can try the 50% VLT one which will suit your requirements well. The pricing should be below 3.5K for the sides + rear
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:09   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Guys I just got my new Chevy Spark which is black in colour. I wish to install some good sunfilm but don't know which one to go for.
I don't want too dark or too light. Just medium.
So please suggest me which one should I go for. And also mention the cost and the dealer from where I can get it in Mumbai.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Not sure about where you can get it done, but being a black car, I would suggest getting the Llumar charcoal grey series. You can try the 50% VLT one which will suit your requirements well. The pricing should be below 3.5K for the sides + rear
I installed Garware Charcoal 35 non-reflective for the side and rear. Got it for Rs1700 from "I'm Popular....Always" at Malad link road.
Old 11th June 2011, 00:51   #888
BHPian

Best Car Tint? A Topic not Discussed much

hey guys..
well I have become a member recently but been checking this forum since 2006.
Neways I jus bought a car for myself recently and its the discontinued VW Jetta 2.0CR Diesel Comfortline. I am still trying for understand the dynamics of the car and now due to the summer i have realized I have been getting a little tan on my hands(I almost drive 500kms everyday) and felt it needs Tints.
I then set out on a search over the net and as well on the ground to find the bang for the money product. I wanted a film nothing less than VLT(VISIBLE LIGHT TRANSMITTANCE) 37%-50% for the sides and rear and the least for the front as i believe in clear view, but a friend suggested me to get a front tint like VLT 70% as it will reduce TSR(TOTAL SOLAR ENERGY REJECTED) by 40% which impressed me as am looking for maximum heat killing. Well am primarily looking for something to reduce the pinch i get on my arms due to the sun while am holding the wheel and give shade.

Neways i stumbled onto alot of different brands and qualities. and short listed two after going thru very few blogs and websites.
Shortlisted:
SIDES AND REAR
1. Garware Ice Cool 40
2. 3M RE35
FRONT I was suggested Ice cool 70 by everyone later on.

Well I went thru the garware website and took out all the specifications for Ice cool 40 which were:
THICKNESS OF FILM (MIL) 1.5
VISIBLE LIGHT TRANSMITTANCE 69.3%
VISIBLE LIGHT REFLECTANCE 6.6%
SOLAR TRANSMITTANCE 45.9%
SOLAR REFLECTANCE 5.2%
SOLAR ABSORBANCE 48.9%
SHADING COEFFICIENT 0.7
EMMISIVITY 0.89
U FACTOR 1.13
ULTRA VIOLET TRANSMITTANCE < 2%
TOTAL SOLAR ENERGY REJECTED 40%
GLARE REDUCTION 24%
NIR (Blocking at 1025 nm) 82
They seemed nice figures but wanted to check out 3M on person and went to a 3M tint dealer to check their product which is
RE 35
VLT 37%
TSR 56%
alright. For the RE35 he was charging me Rs.6800 sides & back and Rs.2800 for the front being ice cool70, so the total is Rs.9600

I was somehow was not satisfied as the film felt too dark and went to the garware dealer who is also the oldest and most known Car tint Expert in Chandigarh called Khan Films(He is known for the good work) in sector 28. He had an entire catalog from garware and other companies. He had Garware shades which weren't there on the website. I came across a shade Ice Cool 40 GRAND(its not mentioned in the website) which had a TSR of 70% and VLT of 40% like these numbers are mind boggling and not even there on the website how come. When i informed the dealer about my research and the product not being available on the website. He mentioned that the Tints in India are mostly not mentioned in the website and different from the ones exported as our domestic requirements are more demanding. He assured me of the quality and it being genuine. He is charging me Rs.10000 for the entire car including the Front Ice Cool 70Grand.
I would like to ask people are these reasonable rates for tints and if they are, which is the best tint to get for my new babie?

Am inclining towards Garware Ice Cool 40GRAND package as the number are just amazing but are they true as in I hope am not being tricked here?
Help am seriously confused.
Old 12th June 2011, 17:16   #889
BHPian

I got this from 3M brochure.

Sun Film-dsc07298.jpg

Regards,
Jose.
Old 12th June 2011, 17:24   #890
Team-BHP Support

Re: Best Car Tint? A Topic not Discussed much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanboy View Post
Am inclining towards Garware Ice Cool 40GRAND package as the number are just amazing but are they true as in I hope am not being tricked here?
Help am seriously confused.
Since your budget does allow you to spend that much, I would suggest you look at 3M or Vkool instead. My experience with Garware has not been good, but there are members who do like it.

You can get Vkool economy range for about 5.5k for the sides and rear, and the front 70% would cost you about 7-8k. This would be the best option.

Another option is 3M CR40 for sides and rear, which would be about 7k+. And you could get CR70 for the front which would be about 5.5k. This overall would not be as good as the Vkool option.

Since you drive so much, why compromise? Just get the better options.
Old 19th June 2011, 14:59   #891
BHPian

Functionality aside, i really think tints, number plates and rims make or break the looks of a car.

Can we have a separate "show off your tints" thread ?
I prefer 20% tints for the sides and rear. 75% for the windscreen. This is with regard to heat control and night visibility only. Don't much care for privacy, m sure the teenyboppers would disagree.

I don't think I've reached the status where i can post a poll yet :S
Old 25th June 2011, 04:19   #892
BHPian

Re: Best Car Tint? A Topic not Discussed much

Thank you good sir but i've landed up getting myself the Ice cool Grand40 package with Ice Cool Elite70 in the front. And I must tell you that the money is well spent, though i bargained it to 9g's. I have never in my life bought tints as expensive. Few days ago i planned a test between my Honda City (Which has tints of 35%VLT (Brand Unknown) i think i paid something like rs2800 in 2006 and nothing in the front) and the Jetta with the new tints.
I parked the jetta in the sun along with my Honda City for a day and in the evening tried moving both the cars:
The honda was hot and suffocating, the seats(leatherette) were burning i could hardly rest my back and my bottom on the seat, and the steering wheel was almost like a heater rod. I didn't think the jetta would have much scope but i was quite anxious and when i entered it, it was MUCH cooler than the Honda seriously quite a bit cooler than the honda. like not to self satisfy the seats(leather) were warm but not burning hot, steering wheel was far tolerable to touch though quite warm also, it was like i just parked the honda in the sun for 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
"You can get Vkool economy range for about 5.5k for the sides and rear, and the front 70% would cost you about 7-8k. This would be the best option."
Vkool at this juncture has a lot of Duplicacy in the market. And Vkool the heat resistance levels are far less in the rs10000 range, their higher price range is compatible to 70%reduction which makes no sense then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Another option is 3M CR40 for sides and rear, which would be about 7k+. And you could get CR70 for the front which would be about 5.5k. This overall would not be as good as the Vkool option.
The 3M Crystalline CR40 was 12000+ 2800 for Ice cool 70Elite(As he too suggested this as the Best in the Market for front) as per the only dealer in chandigarh. This is honestly by far the best Buy for the money, but alas :( I had a budget to follow as i had already streched myself from 5600 to 10g's, but still am happy coming from a tint which has no heat reflection to something much better. and another thing which i have noticed, in the evening when i come back home from work driving about 50km approx my car's temperature is at bout 23 degree and when i park my car and come back to it after an hour or so it is still cool.
Old 25th June 2011, 13:54   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Functionality aside, i really think tints, number plates and rims make or break the looks of a car.

Can we have a separate "show off your tints" thread ?
Would be great where people can post pictures of their tinted cars, along with some useful information like:
1. Sun Film model
2. Damages
3. Source of purchase
4. Satisfaction with product

@Kanboy: Which dealer in Chandigarh did you go to get the job done?
Old 29th June 2011, 20:38   #894
BHPian

I searched numerous shops in Sec 16 Noida and none of them offered 3M sunfilm. Most of them stock Garware. Checked with Carnation as well and same is the case with them too. Can someone please let me know the contact of 3M guy in Noida or Delhi/NCR?
Old 1st July 2011, 09:58   #895
BHPian

[Posted this y'day under thread 'Price for 3M sunfilm?'. Posting here again as this thread will be more relevant]

Hi,

I am planning to tint my white Figo and will be going for 3M. From the earlier posts, i am kind of clear about going to 3M CR 70 for front.

But i am confused for the side and rear.
1 What is the difference between CS and RE in terms of look? Is RE is kind of reflective like mirror?
2 Also i prefer the ones which allows maximum possible light especially for the front windows. Let me know your suggestion about these options.
- CS50 for all
- CS70 for front windows and CS50 for back windows and rear
- CS50 for front windows and CS35 for back windows and rear.

Regards
Devakumar
Old 1st July 2011, 10:33   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
[Posted this y'day under thread 'Price for 3M sunfilm?'. Posting here again as this thread will be more relevant]

Hi,

I am planning to tint my white Figo and will be going for 3M. From the earlier posts, i am kind of clear about going to 3M CR 70 for front.

But i am confused for the side and rear.
1 What is the difference between CS and RE in terms of look? Is RE is kind of reflective like mirror?
2 Also i prefer the ones which allows maximum possible light especially for the front windows. Let me know your suggestion about these options.
- CS50 for all
- CS70 for front windows and CS50 for back windows and rear
- CS50 for front windows and CS35 for back windows and rear.

Regards
Devakumar
Yes RE is the reflective type film and it has some metallic particles in the film. It offers higher heat rejection than CS. They also state they it may cause signal inteference with radios/cell phones etc (this is what i remember reading when i was checking for sunfilm for my car, i eventually got CS50 fitted).

If you want maximum possible light then go for 70% at the front windows and 50% at the rear(50% is the legal limit but you can go darker if you want). Do check out the film in person, they have samples at most shops and you can judge for yourself.
radiokidb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 12:38   #897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Yes RE is the reflective type film and it has some metallic particles in the film. It offers higher heat rejection than CS. They also state they it may cause signal inteference with radios/cell phones etc (this is what i remember reading when i was checking for sunfilm for my car, i eventually got CS50 fitted).

If you want maximum possible light then go for 70% at the front windows and 50% at the rear(50% is the legal limit but you can go darker if you want). Do check out the film in person, they have samples at most shops and you can judge for yourself.

legal limit for front and rear is 70%, for other windows it is 50% AFAIK.

Would you happen to know the difference between RE50 and CR50 (how significant it is etc.)
Old 1st July 2011, 12:45   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
legal limit for front and rear is 70%, for other windows it is 50% AFAIK.

Would you happen to know the difference between RE50 and CR50 (how significant it is etc.)
You are right. I should have been more clear, i was talking about the rear windows. But even for the rear windscreen everyone usually puts the same film they put on the windows. I dont think the cops bother anyway.

Here are the details, in terms of total solar energy rejected, CS50 is 33%, RE50 is 43% and CR50 is 56%.

3M India: CS Series

3M India: RE Series

3M India: Choose your film
Old 1st July 2011, 12:47   #899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
You are right. I should have been more clear, i was talking about the rear windows. But even for the rear windscreen everyone usually puts the same film they put on the windows. I dont think the cops bother anyway.

Here are the details, in terms of total solar energy rejected, CS50 is 33%, RE50 is 43% and CR50 is 56%.

3M India: CS Series

3M India: RE Series

3M India: Choose your film

thanks, would you also happen to know the prices (let's say rear window only) for CR50 vs. RE50
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:38   #900
Senior - BHPian

I have Llumar 50% VLT normal sun films on the sides. But it isn't effective in cutting the glare, which is the top priority. I have decide to go for 15%~20% VLT films. This time I have planned to go for *metalized* films and got quote for 4~4.5K for V-Kool, ASWF. Is the price right, considering that its only for sides?
The films I checked had a grayish tinge. Is there any film with golden or brownish tinge?

Last edited by msdivy : 2nd August 2011 at 16:39.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks