Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 09:59   #991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sun Film

Hi all,

I believe I had posted the below query in the wrong thread, which resulted in it getting deleted.

Anyways, I recently got sun-films installed on my new car & the installation was shoddy. Most windows had bubbles or humungous amounts of dust particles trapped beneath the film. Now, apart from installer skill, what are the things that I could ensure the installer does so that the chances of this problem happening again are minimized?

The reason I as is because firstly, the car is new & secondly, the installation was done in a closed place. Does the installer need to clean the window channels as well or is it enough to clean the glass only?

Would appreciate a prompt response.
Old 12th April 2012, 22:35   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hi all,

I believe I had posted the below query in the wrong thread, which resulted in it getting deleted.

Anyways, I recently got sun-films installed on my new car & the installation was shoddy. Most windows had bubbles or humungous amounts of dust particles trapped beneath the film. Now, apart from installer skill, what are the things that I could ensure the installer does so that the chances of this problem happening again are minimized?

The reason I as is because firstly, the car is new & secondly, the installation was done in a closed place. Does the installer need to clean the window channels as well or is it enough to clean the glass only?

Would appreciate a prompt response.

I would definitely attribute sunfilm quality installation weightage on the skillset of the installer. I got my cars sides+back done by the roadside in full dusty dry afternoon.
Still the installer doused the windows with lots of water and did 2-3 swipes of full squeegee cleanup. and while putting it on the inside, he closed all the doors and carried out the work when I switched on the car with AC. The result was very good and in the last one month I have had no complaints on the fitting.

Bubbles mostly are caused due to inadequate cleaning, dust and to some extent the adhesive of the sunfilm(cheapest ones had suspect adhesive)
I trust 3M for my car sunfilming now.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:13   #993
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your response mate. Apart from the installer's skill, I am also starting to doubt the quality of Garware sunfilms. The particular models that I got installed were IceCool Shield on the windscreen & NF Lite on the sides.

I would be going in for a re-install some time next week & hopefully, this time it would be better.

Though, the next time around, I would give 3M a try for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
I would definitely attribute sunfilm quality installation weightage on the skillset of the installer. I got my cars sides+back done by the roadside in full dusty dry afternoon.
Still the installer doused the windows with lots of water and did 2-3 swipes of full squeegee cleanup. and while putting it on the inside, he closed all the doors and carried out the work when I switched on the car with AC. The result was very good and in the last one month I have had no complaints on the fitting.

Bubbles mostly are caused due to inadequate cleaning, dust and to some extent the adhesive of the sunfilm(cheapest ones had suspect adhesive)
I trust 3M for my car sunfilming now.
Old 18th April 2012, 00:35   #994
BHPian

It seems there are only 2 good options (after going through this thread) for the front windshield:

1. Garware Icecool Shield
2. 3M CR 70

I am still not able to figure which one is better. Can people also post prices of the same in different cities? And does the Garware Icecool Shield have any specific model number as such?
Old 21st April 2012, 18:12   #995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
It seems there are only 2 good options (after going through this thread) for the front windshield:

2. 3M CR 70
You missed the VK70 from Vkool in that list. It might be the best available out there.
Old 21st April 2012, 23:10   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post

2. 3M CR 70

I am still not able to figure which one is better. Can people also post prices of the same in different cities? And does the Garware Icecool Shield have any specific model number as such?
If you don't mind spending addition Rs 3-3.5K for CR70, go for it. Else ICE COOL shield is a good substitute. I had ICECOOL shield with VLT70 on my car and not sure whether there is a VLT80 version
Old 22nd April 2012, 18:19   #997
BHPian

I am looking to install sunfilm on my new swift. I need a film which are light on tints (meant maximum visibility and decent heat rejection. I am open to budget brands like 3m (RE series), garware or any other brand which is cheap (price wise not cheap quality) can be installed professionally.

My budget is 2k, lesser the better.
Old 23rd April 2012, 15:40   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
I am looking to install sunfilm on my new swift. I need a film which are light on tints (meant maximum visibility and decent heat rejection. I am open to budget brands like 3m (RE series), garware or any other brand which is cheap (price wise not cheap quality) can be installed professionally.

My budget is 2k, lesser the better.

For a budget of 2k, you could go in for Garware or "Black" series from Llumar or SP series from 3M. But these are entry level films and I would strongly asdvise you to go in for Steel series of Llumar or CS/RE series of 3M. They are definitely worth the extra money you pay.
razrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:20   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
For a budget of 2k, you could go in for Garware or "Black" series from Llumar or SP series from 3M. But these are entry level films and I would strongly asdvise you to go in for Steel series of Llumar or CS/RE series of 3M. They are definitely worth the extra money you pay.
Thanks razrman. What is cost of Steel series of Llumar & CS/RE Series of 3M. I can maximum stretch my budget to 3500 rs and no more than that and if there is an upgrade from 2k to 3.5k, I expect good heat rejection and darker yet legal tints.
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:32   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Thanks razrman. What is cost of Steel series of Llumar & CS/RE Series of 3M. I can maximum stretch my budget to 3500 rs and no more than that and if there is an upgrade from 2k to 3.5k, I expect good heat rejection and darker yet legal tints.
I think steel, CS and RE should fit within 4000. Ask your local guy for the exact rate. Heat rejection (50%) is almost double of the entry level series (30%).
As for the "darker yet legal", there is no such thing. Legal limit is 50% for sides&rear and 70% for front windshield. These will look almost clear. If you want a little darker but dont want to run into trouble with cops, then go in for 35% VLT film. If you are confused, tell the film guy to show you sample, hold it on your window and decide for yourself.
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:58   #1001
BHPian

Thanks Razarman. I will talk to Llumar & 3m installers to figure out which best suites my requirements. anything under 3.5k is fine with me. I will talk to them and update the rates.
Old 25th April 2012, 03:38   #1002
BHPian

Hey guys,

Went through most of the thread - looking to install film on my Camry, probably on the doors only, as don't want to take a chance with defoggers - they are veryy handy in the harsh weather. So do companies sell only sides package as well? Besides, Camry already has front and back roller blinds so don't really need film, not at the implied risk.

I want the darkest possible legal black, which I assume is 50%, this should serve purpose of heat reduction, privacy and looks in that priority order.

Do you think it will look good on a blue Camry?

also from reading I infer than VKool, 3M and Llumar are the best around. But VKools is most expensive and most likely to be a good install.

I don't want to exceed 4-5k So I think Vkool economy is good? How much is that?

Also what are the alternatives in that from 3M and Llumar and their stores in Delhi? The VKool place is 5 minutes from my house, I plan to get this done within next 10 days or so, was thinking reliance autozone as they would have all brands, but after reading reviews I'm not going there.

Even Galaxy Toyota stocks 3M, you think they'll give a good price?

Any help is welcome, thanks.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:50   #1003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Also what are the alternatives in that from 3M and Llumar and their stores in Delhi? The VKool place is 5 minutes from my house, I plan to get this done within next 10 days or so, was thinking reliance autozone as they would have all brands, but after reading reviews I'm not going there.

Even Galaxy Toyota stocks 3M, you think they'll give a good price?

Any help is welcome, thanks.
Only Vkool has a dedicated dealer in Delhi. All other brands including 3M are available with any road side vendor but they do not have a proper outlet. Also I bought my Altis from Galaxy Toyota last october and that time they were of the opinion that 3M has a lot of complaints and they have now started selling only Vkool in there dealership which they were suggesting me too. I went to the Vkool outlet and got the films from them. So do check on 3M stock in Galaxy. They might have old stock unless they have started to sell 3M again.

I will suggest you go for Vkool if your budget permits. The installation is really good. Also I need to get films for my Sunny. The Vkool guys quoted 16k for the same ( for all sides). We can probably squeeze in some more discount if we go together.

Lastly did you enquire about the Vkool starting range? How much is that costing you? The quotes I got were for Vk70 for front and H50 for all sides ( the same set up was put in the Altis).

Last edited by drmohitg : 25th April 2012 at 11:51. Reason: text added.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:55   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Only Vkool has a dedicated dealer in Delhi. All other brands including 3M are available with any road side vendor but they do not have a proper outlet. Also I bought my Altis from Galaxy Toyota last october and that time they were of the opinion that 3M has a lot of complaints and they have now started selling only Vkool in there dealership which they were suggesting me too. I went to the Vkool outlet and got the films from them. So do check on 3M stock in Galaxy. They might have old stock unless they have started to sell 3M again.
Can you please elaborate on what complaints they've had regarding 3M films? Are all the complaints related to heat rejection or other issues?
Old 25th April 2012, 11:56   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

I will suggest you go for Vkool if your budget permits. The installation is really good. Also I need to get films for my Sunny. The Vkool guys quoted 16k for the same ( for all sides). We can probably squeeze in some more discount if we go together.

Lastly did you enquire about the Vkool starting range? How much is that costing you? The quotes I got were for Vk70 for front and H50 for all sides ( the same set up was put in the Altis).

I think I read in this thread, that vkool eco starts at around 5-6k for side and rear, which is another 8k or so for front, but since I only want sides, no rear cuz of defoggers and already present roller curtain/shade, jm hoping I can get vkool darkest legal one in the eco range for sides around 4-5k and I guess 3M etc will be a 1000-1500 cheaper.

Were vkool quotes from Galaxy same as the Rajendra place dealer?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks