Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 14:33   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
got llumar silver series installed from motor plaza. cost was lesser than what the other shops asked for , but no way to ascertain if the guy actually used llumar stuff.Not sure if they are authorized either
If the guy brought the sun film just wrapped and tied with a rubber band, you can doubt if it was genuine or not. But otherwise Llumar films are properly packed and have the hologram and all that nonsense too.

Regarding the defogger, the installer too tried to use the blade to clean up. But guess its working now.
Old 6th February 2009, 14:46   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Law in India says visibility should be 35%. Which translates to 65% of the light getting blocked.
But yes 35% is a pain. I guess 50% should be good enough.
@Fountainheader, the law actually says that the Visual Transmission of Light (VLT) should be 70% in the front & back, and 50% on the sides. (Rule 100 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules)

There was a direct link (PDF) to the relevant part of the Rules that I had posted someplace on TBHP before, can't find it now. Same info here: Delhi Traffic Police - Press and Archives of Delhi Traffic Police, Articles of Delhi Traffic Police, Articles on Tinted Glasses

A more recent bit of info on the same: The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : Use of sun control film on vehicles banned in State

And yes, 35%VLT is a bit too dark. I used to have 50%VLT on my Palio (sides and rear) and that was quite fine in the night. Not sufe of the VLT of the film on the sides and back of my Swift (Llumar Platinum Series Neutral 35SR), but it is lighter than the 50% film I had on the Palio. No issues whatsoever at night.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:47   #258
BHPian

which brand is having 100% clear film for front, does 3M has ? As Website doesn't have any information other than 70% clear
Old 6th February 2009, 18:02   #259
BHPian

Today I was thinking that can't we have windshield glass just like photocromatic glass used in spectacles ? It will change color in day and become clear at night.
Old 6th February 2009, 18:16   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
which brand is having 100% clear film for front, does 3M has ? As Website doesn't have any information other than 70% clear
The 70% and 75% VLT films are almost as good as 100% clear. Once fitted, the difference between no film and 70/75% film is very little. I was apprehensive of this too, but after getting the front windshield film fitted, there was no loss in visibility at all.
Old 8th February 2009, 11:47   #261
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
got llumar silver series installed from motor plaza. cost was lesser than what the other shops asked for , but no way to ascertain if the guy actually used llumar stuff.Not sure if they are authorized either
Same problem with me too. I visited many dealers, cost varies too much for the same brand. So I don't know how to ascertain which is genuine?

Anyway I have decided not to put sunfilm in the rear. Better I will put a clear film in the front to block the heat. the toyota dealer is also offering a sunfilm. I am also thinking about that.
Old 8th February 2009, 22:10   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@Fountainheader, the law actually says that the Visual Transmission of Light (VLT) should be 70% in the front & back, and 50% on the sides. (Rule 100 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules)
Hydra
I use Garware Ice Cool Shield on front and Ice Cool Grand on all sides and rear,but visibility has never been any issuesat all,be it rain,or at night or in fog.I recently did a 1200Km round trip and the films handled the heat beautifully.
For the record,my films are Garware Ice Cool Grand (VLT:40%,UV Rej.:99%,Heat Rej.:70% ) tints on both sides and rear and Garware Ice Cool Shield (VLT:70%,UV Rej.:99%,Heat Rej.:50% ) tints on windshield.

PS:There is also no issues about radio reception or other electronic appliances reception in the car,touch wood.
Old 9th February 2009, 19:25   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
PS:There is also no issues about radio reception or other electronic appliances reception in the car,touch wood.
I think AM/FM reception should not be be affected any way, because head unit would be usually connected to an external antenna. Mobile phone/wireless internet services may be good to judge reception degradation. By any chance, have you used any GPS device?
Old 17th February 2009, 18:45   #264
BHPian

SunGard

Thanks for the update sudipt123

I am planing to go for Sterling70 for the windshield and charcoal22 (dark tint) for the sides and rear, I am still negotiating the price, but I feel 6500 rs is too expensive,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
Solar Guard sun control is a branded and reputed sun control film manufacturer. They are marketed here by Xenos India. Just got my car tints done for front, sides and rear. They used Solar Guard HP Quantum37 for the sides and rear. For the front windshield Sterling70 was used. Yet to test the daytime results, but I am pretty happy with the night driving using the film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
@ xehaust
Sorry for the late reply, I am happy with the performance of Solarguard Quantum37 during daytime driving, atleast they are much better than darker tints of filmpro charcoal20 which was used in my Indica. Also the the front windsheild is very clear and no problem at all during night driving. Damages were 6500 for front+ sides+rear for my chevy spark(inclusive of vat). Got a 10% discount.
Old 23rd February 2009, 12:17   #265
BHPian

Hi guys,

I am planning to install 3M SP series sunfilm for our brand new innova. Is this project really good, if not please suggest the better product.

Regards,
Shekar
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:44   #266
BHPian

What do you guys do with the bubbles/dots that appear after the film has been installed.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:45   #267
BHPian

I have got Garware Ice Cool Shield on the front windscreen. There are mysterious scratches that have appeared on the windshield. The scratches are like swirls all across the glass. Visible during night when lights of opposite car fall on it.

I have had the film on my zen for 4 years. Never had a problem. What could be the reason? a manufacturing defect? whats the remedy?
Old 23rd February 2009, 16:39   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
What do you guys do with the bubbles/dots that appear after the film has been installed.
I got the film reinstalled TWICE. But still am left with bubbles/dots. Not really as significant as before, but it still pinches me! Guess I'll move from Llumar to 3M in a few months time.
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:18   #269
BHPian

hehe Fountainheader the reason i asked this is cause i have already scrapped the film of 3M RE premium due to this. Waiting to get it reinstalled, the reason given is its due to the open air installations that air tends to get during the film installation. Ideal place of installation should be closed area with minimum of dust particles flowing.

Moving to a higher grade film doesnt help much i guess in this, i had planned to go for Lumar first but got 3M installed and yet have this problem.

Last edited by invincible7 : 23rd February 2009 at 17:19.
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:18   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I have got Garware Ice Cool Shield on the front windscreen. There are mysterious scratches that have appeared on the windshield. The scratches are like swirls all across the glass. Visible during night when lights of opposite car fall on it.

I have had the film on my zen for 4 years. Never had a problem. What could be the reason? a manufacturing defect? whats the remedy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I too have the same issue. Recently just 15 days back i have installed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed