Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 11:34   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

Premium Film

Looking for a high quality sunfilm with good heat rejection levels. Already have Vcool in one car with 93% heatcut, it works pretty well but not worth 25,000.

The only other brand I can think of that would provide similar heatcuts would be Llumnar. Any idea on it's high-end film's pricing?
Old 27th March 2009, 11:57   #287
BHPian

Got for 3M, the only name i can think at par with Vcool.
Old 27th March 2009, 13:15   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Looking for a high quality sunfilm with good heat rejection levels. Already have Vcool in one car with 93% heatcut, it works pretty well but not worth 25,000.

The only other brand I can think of that would provide similar heatcuts would be Llumnar. Any idea on it's high-end film's pricing?
Hi Sahil, Can you tell me the model/name of the VKool film which has 93% heat reduction - couldnt find it on the site. Also does it allow a VLT of 50% assuming it is pn sides.
Llumar data is available on the website in PDF atleast to make a choice of film. Then call up the contact numbers provided on llumarindia.com and find the price and recommended installer in your city. There is no one fixed price, is all I can say.
Old 27th March 2009, 13:58   #289
BHPian

With Lumar this is very true, every dealer or installer has his own fancy price which made me think whether its actually marketed at that price by the company or not.
The difference in prices is quiet a bit i must say.
Old 27th March 2009, 20:46   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
The local Toyota dealer is offering a sunfilm with 55% heat rejection and 50% visibility for sides. brand name is "sunshield". hez telling that it is a german brand. Price quoted is 4k for sides and back with 3yr warranty. Does any one know about this brand. Or should I wait till I can stretch my budget in 10k range?
There is a reference to this brand and subsequent refutal by a person in Germany - here .

I was shown this sometime back by a vendor claiming it to be German - when I asked for packaging - he didnt have any - nor could I read any german on the film roll. Could definitely be this one though if you can correlate to exact name of the film - SUNSHIELD WINDOW FILMS 01189 54 55 65 Contact us today to help solve your glazing related problems : Sunshield auto films based in reading 01189 54 55 65 auto tints the ultimate auto window films professionally installed with a life time warenty Vehi
Old 27th March 2009, 21:14   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Hi Sahil, Can you tell me the model/name of the VKool film which has 93% heat reduction - couldnt find it on the site. Also does it allow a VLT of 50% assuming it is pn sides.
Is this 93% figure total heat reduction, or only for infrared portion?

From what I know, solar radiation can be divided into 3 main parts- infrared, visible light and ultraviolet. Out of that ultraviolet constitutes a very small portion of the total energy or "heat", which is just 1 or 2 percent. Though it doesn't contribute much to heat, it is supposed to be harmful for other reasons. However, most sun films seem to block it almost completely (at least they claim so!).

Majority of heat is due to other two portions and the share is close to 50-50. Therefore, if 93% is total heat reduction, then visible light transmission can be 7% of total at the most, which is roughly 14% of visible light. On the other hand, if one needs 50% transmission of visible light, then total heat reduction can not cross approximately 75% mark. Here I am ignoring more complex phenomenon like re-radiation of absorbed heat etc. which will actually make the number even lower I believe.

Please correct me if my understanding is flawed.

Last edited by santosh.s : 27th March 2009 at 21:16.
Old 28th March 2009, 00:06   #292
sps
BHPian

Quote:
There is a reference to this brand and subsequent refutal by a person in Germany - here .

I was shown this sometime back by a vendor claiming it to be German - when I asked for packaging - he didnt have any - nor could I read any german on the film roll. Could definitely be this one though if you can correlate to exact name of the film - SUNSHIELD WINDOW FILMS 01189 54 55 65 Contact us today to help solve your glazing related problems : Sunshield auto films based in reading 01189 54 55 65 auto tints the ultimate auto window films professionally installed with a life time warenty Vehi
Thanks for the information adzegeek. Tomorrow anyway I am going to the dealer. Will ask for the packaging and then decide.
Old 28th March 2009, 00:19   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Thanks for the information adzegeek. Tomorrow anyway I am going to the dealer. Will ask for the packaging and then decide.
I think you can use Garware too. If you are considering only the Side/Back sun film...
And if you want to put Front Wind Screen then you can try Lumnar or Vkool. You also will get some thing from Garware for wind screen which is 2800/- with install charge and warranty. Really reduce the heat inside the car.
Old 28th March 2009, 12:00   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Is this 93% figure total heat reduction, or only for infrared portion?
Hence my question on getting to the model. I would think for 25k, 93% IR reduction is pathetic. For example the 3M CR series usually cuts off IR by 97% and are much cheaper.

Quote:
From what I know, solar radiation can be divided into 3 main parts- infrared, visible light and ultraviolet. Out of that ultraviolet constitutes a very small portion of the total energy or "heat", which is just 1 or 2 percent. Though it doesn't contribute much to heat, it is supposed to be harmful for other reasons. However, most sun films seem to block it almost completely (at least they claim so!).
Purely from automotive perspective, the interiors fade-out is UV related.

Quote:
Majority of heat is due to other two portions and the share is close to 50-50. Please correct me if my understanding is flawed.
Santosh: as far as my knowledge goes, this is correct - the IR should contribute more than Visual light specturm though.
For a heat reduction of 93%, you would hardly be able to see outside. any clues of how shading co-efficient ratings work and is it more reliable rating that TSER?
Old 28th March 2009, 16:57   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
any clues of how shading co-efficient ratings work and is it more reliable rating that TSER?
No idea. May be somebody can shed some light?
Old 29th March 2009, 01:47   #296
BHPian

wavelength (lambda) : UV>visi>IR... microwaves
IR contributes to heating up, but borders on visible spectrum. Ergo...
Old 30th March 2009, 13:01   #297
BHPian

@GODOG, the difference in wavelenght of Near Infrared and VL should have some bearing on %age energy. I found the answer here International Window Film Association. IR component is 53%, Visual Light is 44% and UV is 3% (not exactly 50-50 as earlier mentioned).

These folks seem to use a metric of SGHC (instead of shading co-efficient or TSER). I havent seem automotive film vendors quoting both IR reduction and SC/SGHC (with probable exception of VKool) - many of them include TSER - however I am still to figure out the link between TSER and SC/SGHC

Clear as Mud, eh?
Old 30th March 2009, 14:14   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Llumar data is available on the website in PDF atleast to make a choice of film. Then call up the contact numbers provided on llumarindia.com and find the price and recommended installer in your city. There is no one fixed price, is all I can say.
I think it's Vcool Select.

Please give me the link of the PDF for llumar
Old 30th March 2009, 14:26   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I think it's Vcool Select.

Please give me the link of the PDF for llumar
Cannot seem to be able access LLumar Products: Automotive, Architectural Glass Window Films - but here is older version.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf auto-safetyspecsheet.pdf (134.7 KB, 598 views)
Old 30th March 2009, 14:46   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IR component is 53%, Visual Light is 44% and UV is 3% (not exactly 50-50 as earlier mentioned).
Yeah, that's why I said "close to", but given actual numbers that wording wasn't really appropriate. There is a common myth that only IR produces heat, while that is not so.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed