Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 14:55   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I think it's Vcool Select.
Sahil - Just curious - because this series doesnt seem to exist on V-kool web site - what is the VLT%age - the max TSER you can see on the site is in 60+%age only for automotive films.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:43   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello people! I should be getting delivery of my car sometime soon and I have been thinking of Sun Film. I need sun film that will block out the heat and glare but I do not want it to impact visibility. Visibility is very important for me - especially at night, which put me off sun film in my previous car. This is basically through the SRVM's which when the window pulled up becomes negligible in many films. Moreoever, absolutely black tints are banned and I dont want to be pulled over by cops for sure.

My budget is under 10k for everything. What would you guys suggest I go for? I have been eyeing Llumar and 3M. I stay in Bangalore and would appreciate feedback on a good installer as well.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:46   #303
Senior - BHPian

Llumar is pretty good but have heard that 3m with 70% visibility has better heat reduction capability than Llumar 70%
Old 30th March 2009, 17:03   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

My budget is under 10k for everything. What would you guys suggest I go for? I have been eyeing Llumar and 3M. I stay in Bangalore and would appreciate feedback on a good installer as well.

Option 1: Llumar - AIR 75 on front and back (39%), PP50 on sides (41%). -
Option 2: 3M - CR 70 on front and back(~50%), RE 50 on sides (43%)
Option 3: 3M - RE 70 on front and back (~ 34%), RE 50 on sides (43%)

all films are clear - so no dark stuff. %ages are TSER ratings.

Option 3 cost should be 5k to 6 K. Option 2 will touch close to 10K. Option 1 will be negotaible dont know exactly - I have heard quotes from 7k-14K range.

Check forums on Bangalore installers.
Old 30th March 2009, 17:35   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you both for the quick replies. Is sun film on the rear important? I dont want to let an installer play with the defogger - so if its not too much of a bother, would like to totally avoid it.
Old 30th March 2009, 17:50   #306
BHPian

well it defintely helps in heat reduction - it also depends on how much area you have on the car rear window.

The back seaters do not appreciate heat control only on the sides, but their necks getting fried esp in long distance driving.

Unless the installer is careless and cuts the defogger strips, usually it is not a problem. Do the "titanic check" - as suggested in forum during installation.

BTW all prices were for hatchback. I assumed from your budget that you are buying one - if you are going for bigger class/SUV - the budget will need some revision.
Old 30th March 2009, 18:24   #307
BHPian

@Redliner, its important if you care much on the heat entering the car.

I have installed 3M RE on the rear of my car having defogger/demister. No issues and the installation was done professionally.
Old 30th March 2009, 19:31   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
many of them include TSER - however I am still to figure out the link between TSER and SC/SGHC
Looks like SGHC= 100-TSER (%age), just a guess though, I might have oversimplified it!

Quote:
Option 1: Llumar - AIR 75 on front and back (39%), PP50 on sides (41%). -
Option 2: 3M - CR 70 on front and back(~50%), RE 50 on sides (43%)
Option 3: 3M - RE 70 on front and back (~ 34%), RE 50 on sides (43%)

all films are clear - so no dark stuff. %ages are TSER ratings.
That puts everything into a very good perspective, only 3 numbers that we need to care the most- VLT, TSER and price tag! If you know about similar "options" for Garware and V-kool, please post it. Those two would be probably two extremes in terms of pricing among branded/reliable films.

Quote:
Do the "titanic check" - as suggested in forum during installation.
You meant this?: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post754325
A nice example there

Quote:
BTW all prices were for hatchback. I assumed from your budget that you are buying one - if you are going for bigger class/SUV - the budget will need some revision.
Does it differ much? Logically for hatchbacks like Swift/U-VA/fabia/getz it should be on par with sedans like Ikon/esteem/fiesta/logan etc (unless they charge some "premium" just like that).

For civic or bigger sedans and SUVs it has to be more though.

Last edited by santosh.s : 30th March 2009 at 19:45.
Old 30th March 2009, 20:15   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
well it defintely helps in heat reduction - it also depends on how much area you have on the car rear window.

The back seaters do not appreciate heat control only on the sides, but their necks getting fried esp in long distance driving.

Unless the installer is careless and cuts the defogger strips, usually it is not a problem. Do the "titanic check" - as suggested in forum during installation.

Adzegeek, thanks mate. Now, I am picking up a Scorpio. I plan to remove that last bench and sort out an ICE there. So there will be quite some space between the rear window and the middle bench passengers. Moreover, the rear glass is completely flat as against sloping in most hatches and sedans. Am I on the right direction?

Now that you know what the sun film is going to go on and lets assume I dont want to play with the rear screen (considering my assumption now of no real value), how much could it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
@Redliner, its important if you care much on the heat entering the car.

I have installed 3M RE on the rear of my car having defogger/demister. No issues and the installation was done professionally.
I think it makes a brilliant difference if the rear screen directly overlooks your neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Looks like SGHC= 100-TSER (%age), just a guess though, I might have oversimplified it!

That puts everything into a very good perspective, only 3 numbers that we need to care the most- VLT, TSER and price tag! If you know about similar "options" for Garware and V-kool, please post it. Those two would be probably two extremes in terms of pricing among branded/reliable films.

A nice example there

Does it differ much? Logically for hatchbacks like Swift/U-VA/fabia/getz it should be on par with sedans like Ikon/esteem/fiesta/logan etc (unless they charge some "premium" just like that).

For civic or bigger sedans and SUVs it has to be more though.
Yes, bigger the screen area, more the tint, thus more the price. Could you please post up the definitions of SGHC and VLT and TSER? I know its somewhere in the labyrinth of this thread, but what the hell, I love you all
Old 30th March 2009, 20:46   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think it makes a brilliant difference if the rear screen directly overlooks your neck.
You do realize the heat inside the car is not just light hitting your skin? The more glass area you have covered with good sunfilm, the less heated up your interiors end up being. Leave the rear glass without tints and you will let quite a bit of heat in. It'll also leave your passengers with sunburned necks :P
Old 30th March 2009, 20:50   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Adzegeek, thanks mate. Now, I am picking up a Scorpio. I plan to remove that last bench and sort out an ICE there. So there will be quite some space between the rear window and the middle bench passengers. Moreover, the rear glass is completely flat as against sloping in most hatches and sedans. Am I on the right direction?
Mate - If I get your drift in terms of ICE quality you going to install, I will defintely put in a rear sun film - not to protect the people but the ICE. UV cut off is nearly 100% and that will be a big plus for your ICE longevity and look and feel.
BTW which thread has your selection process - which model - is it 4x4 by any chance - I am going mad doings TDs of Xylo, Innova, Safari, Scorpio over last two months and still undecided.
Quote:
Now that you know what the sun film is going to go on and lets assume I dont want to play with the rear screen (considering my assumption now of no real value), how much could it cost?
Option 3: RE-70 on front/rear RE-50 on side will cost you approximately 9 to 9.5K for Scorpio if I remember right when one of my friends got it done recently. Cant remember whether he just put RE-50 on side and rear and RE-70 on the front. The like to like for hatchback is between 5K and 6K.
So sort of apply the same scale-up ratio on the options costs. Note both of these are un-negotiated prices.
Old 30th March 2009, 21:04   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Dunno - will need to work on it. In the mean time TSER rules as lowest common denominator which all film makers provide.

Quote:
Now that I am not breaking my head over Scala and clojures (ignore my rant on my work) yeah - it may make sense to make a MV law compliant excel of options and keep it here for people coming in. Only problem - V-Kool has too many options and pricing - but will give it a shot.

Quote:
A nice example there
Yup thats what I meant - Havent tried it though - will try tomorrow anyway

Quote:
Not materially for the sedans that you mention, but anything beyond that it does. Civic will be 2.5 times hatchback from what I know - scorpio about 1.5 to 1.6 times - basically scale it in ratio of available glass windows areas.
Old 30th March 2009, 21:09   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please post up the definitions of SGHC and VLT and TSER? I know its somewhere in the labyrinth of this thread, but what the hell, I love you all
I am tempted to ask such questions quite often, but usually hesitate in order to avoid answers like "please google" or "use search feature, it really works".

Well, here are the answers to your questions-
SGHC, I think it should be SHGC based on post #297 => Solar Heat Gain Coefficient
VLT=> Visible Light Transmission
TSER=> Total Solar Energy Rejection
Old 30th March 2009, 22:56   #314
BHPian

Quote:

It is - just reading the definitions. So if someone quotes just Shading co-efficient and not TSER, you can convert it to SGHC as = 0.86 * SC.
TSER and SGHC are just inverted around the 100 then.
Thanks Santosh.
Old 30th March 2009, 23:36   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if someone quotes just Shading co-efficient and not TSER, you can convert it to SGHC as = 0.86 * SC.
Any pointers regarding information on what that .86 factor is?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks