Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 20:24   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sun Film

Hey guys I just got 3M sunfilm installed on the sides and back. What I just realized was that the guy who installed it at my place used our borewell water to make his soap mixture. Unfortunately this water is both Hard and a little Salty as well. Just wanted to know if it will have any negative long term effects ? It looks clear now, 4 days after installing. No visibility issues as such, just a bit of smudging which is most likely due to a dirty cloth that the watchman used to wipe it from the outside.

So guys will it be Ok or should I get it reinstalled with better quality water ?
Old 13th May 2011, 20:29   #857
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how do you convince the cops that the films you have installed on your car are legal? I have 70% VLT in the front and 50% VLT in the sides and back on my car! But I had a hard time a few days ago convincing them the films are in legal permitted limit.

Any directions for this?
Old 13th May 2011, 20:32   #858
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post

I stay in chandigarh so not taking a risk with any darker film. But the Garware Classic (not classic lite) is supposed to have much better heat reduction with a VLT of 40%. Any idea if cops let you go with 40% VLT film or is it a problem?
If its okay i am thinking of getting the side glasses with garware classic and put one of those sieve curtain kind of things on the rear.
My honest opinion is that these Garware and Autographix films are just for looks (the cheaper variety at least) and offer no significant heat rejection. If you do go for a premium Garware film then that should help. I think the cops should let 40% pass, again if your not sure then get 50% films.

What I suggest is you spend a little more and get the mid range 3M/Llumar like RE50 or CS50. Both are RTO approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

So guys will it be Ok or should I get it reinstalled with better quality water ?
I don't think it will be an issue at all. Don't worry about it. Also you cannot re-install sunfilm.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 20:41   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
My honest opinion is that these Garware and Autographix films are just for looks (the cheaper variety at least) and offer no significant heat rejection. If you do go for a premium Garware film then that should help. I think the cops should let 40% pass, again if your not sure then get 50% films.

What I suggest is you spend a little more and get the mid range 3M/Llumar like RE50 or CS50. Both are RTO approved.
If i remember correctly i was quoted 4500 minimum for 3M. would have to look hard for llumar.
How much would the 3M/Llumar RE50 or CS50 cost.
Old 13th May 2011, 20:50   #860
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Akshay. I hope it turns out OK
Old 13th May 2011, 21:00   #861
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If i remember correctly i was quoted 4500 minimum for 3M. would have to look hard for llumar.
How much would the 3M/Llumar RE50 or CS50 cost.
Are you installing it on your City or your Alto?

4500 is about right for the RE/CS series for sides and back.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:21   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Are you installing it on your City or your Alto?

4500 is about right for the RE/CS series for sides and back.
I need it for my City right now.

Dont know what series film he was quoting. Might go to check tomorrow.
Looking at the specs the RE series seems to have more heat rejection compared to CS series (also no VLT 70% in CS series).
RE series
3M India: RE Series

CS series
3M India: CS Series

Please tell me approx how much should it cost for side RE50 and back RE70, so i can haggle with the shop.

Also you said 3M/Llumar.

After going through their specs :
http://www.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarAutoSpecsGlobal.pdf

the possible ones are:
ATR50CHSRHPR (charcoal) 55 34
PP50LUSRHPR (neutral) 50 41
PP60GNSRHPR (green) 57 44
PP70AGSRHPR (silver) 70 38

What price can i expect for these llumar varieties?
Old 14th May 2011, 00:11   #863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I need it for my City right now.

Dont know what series film he was quoting. Might go to check tomorrow.
Looking at the specs the RE series seems to have more heat rejection compared to CS series (also no VLT 70% in CS series).
RE series
See 3M and llumar are about the same, so if you already have a 3M dealer then just finish it off with 3M. Also the RE series I think is the most vfm. Get RE50 all around, cops dont bother about the rear, only the windscreen. Also the rear windscreen also has a lot of glass so you will be better with film that had better heat rejection (hence RE50 over RE70).

So get RE50 done all around.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 11:18   #864
joe
BHPian

hey guys i am planning on installing sun film on my Esteem and i have a budget of 5k. looking at getting all the doors as well as the windshield done. does anybody know a good place in Ernakulam? thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 15:49   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
hey guys i am planning on installing sun film on my Esteem and i have a budget of 5k. looking at getting all the doors as well as the windshield done. does anybody know a good place in Ernakulam? thanks
5k for all windows and windshield? That's a tough call. Anyways, do check Emperor and Galaxy (dont know whether they do sun films).
Old 15th May 2011, 16:36   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Joe, if your are interested in Garware then it falls with in your budget.
Approx. 3K for Garware Icecool Shield for front windshield
Aprrox. 1.5K for Garware Classic for rear and sides.

But what I can say is stretch your budget and try for better brand such as 3M or Llumar. I have the above said films in my M800, but they do not serve the purpose in summer.

As Naveen said, try Emperor or Galaxy at Palarivattom. There is also one shop opposite to Popular Automobiles Palarivattom which I would recommend. I'd also advice you to keep off from a shop in Vytilla. Though they have been in this field for a long time, they did a very poor job in installing sun film in my car. This shop is on left side while coming from Tripunithura to Vytilla and before the traffic signal.

Regards,
Jose.
Old 16th May 2011, 23:13   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Guys, how do you convince the cops that the films you have installed on your car are legal? I have 70% VLT in the front and 50% VLT in the sides and back on my car! But I had a hard time a few days ago convincing them the films are in legal permitted limit.

Any directions for this?
Ha... no reply to this yet? I guess I didn't put my question very well. I meant, do I need to show any valid document before cops to prove that I have sunfilms with in legal limits? Which RTO website shows the correct numbers about legality of sun films, if any?
Old 16th May 2011, 23:28   #868
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Ha... no reply to this yet? I guess I didn't put my question very well. I meant, do I need to show any valid document before cops to prove that I have sunfilms with in legal limits? Which RTO website shows the correct numbers about legality of sun films, if any?

Installer should give a certificate with the product. That reminds me I need to check the guarantee card and papers that came with mine.

Is it legally tenable for a cop to question the darkness of sun film and demand to rip it off without a measuring device?

--Ragul
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:31   #869
BHPian

Are you supposed to get a guarantee card with 3M Film? I got sunfilm done for my car at Indian Decars Hyderabad and I only got a bill.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:37   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Are you supposed to get a guarantee card with 3M Film? I got sunfilm done for my car at Indian Decars Hyderabad and I only got a bill.
Absolutely. I got one from them when i got my car film done. You just need to insist.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks