Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 23:40   #946
BHPian

Re: Sun Film

Dealer in Vashi offering me 3M CS series sides and rear for my Polo for 1800/-! Quotes 3 year warranty and box packing, not a roll. Is that possible? Or should I stay away?
Old 15th March 2012, 00:08   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
Dealer in Vashi offering me 3M CS series sides and rear for my Polo for 1800/-! Quotes 3 year warranty and box packing, not a roll. Is that possible? Or should I stay away?
That's really cheap!! I was quoted 4500 for front and back for 3M CS series for my swift.
Old 15th March 2012, 09:04   #948
BHPian

I may be wrong but I thought normal glass is UV-opaque and that UV-transparent glass is pretty expensive; and is called as 'Quartz'. If the thick windscreen itself is UV-opaque then what UV is left for the thin sun-film to reject? So much so for information based on commercial claims! Is there any dude here who will give me hard figures procured from scientifically conducted measurements?

Why I am saying this is plain and simple to understand. I want to know about the amount of heat given by the visible spectrum. For this experiment one will have to ensure that the incident light is ONLY of visible spectrum. If the purely visible spectrum does not account for significant heating then I would say that tinted film does not do much except cool you psychologically; BUT of course we first need to do this experiment. Any gentleman on this forum with access to a spectrophotometer and a bolometer? Mind it - I do not wish to consider figures from the sales and marketing literature.

Another matter: the sun-film is attached to the inside surface of the glass. This means that heat energy has already entered the cabin before it interacts with the film. The sun-film can do three things with the heat energy: absorb, transmit, and reflect it. The absorbed and transmitted components anyway remain within the cabin and may be removed using AC or outside air flow. In a parked car both these angles are absent; and the car must surely heat, either quickly or slowly. The reflected component has to once again pass through the glass, when part of it gets absorbed by the glass and rest leaves the cabin. While architectural sun-film is allowed to be reflective the car variety cannot be legally reflective. In principle, however, a sun-film could be reflective to infra-red but not to visible light; but do available sun-films have this property? My take is that if an automotive sun-film is developed such that it is highly reflective to IR but not to visible spectrum then this would best serve our purpose. Minnd itt - the film should not increase glare from oncoming headlights.
Old 16th March 2012, 02:05   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
I may be wrong but I thought normal glass is UV-opaque and that UV-transparent glass is pretty expensive; and is called as 'Quartz'. If the thick windscreen itself is UV-opaque then what UV is left for the thin sun-film to reject? So much so for information based on commercial claims! Is there any dude here who will give me hard figures procured from scientifically conducted measurements?

. While architectural sun-film is allowed to be reflective the car variety cannot be legally reflective. In principle, however, a sun-film could be reflective to infra-red but not to visible light; but do available sun-films have this property? My take is that if an automotive sun-film is developed such that it is highly reflective to IR but not to visible spectrum then this would best serve our purpose. Minnd itt - the film should not increase glare from oncoming headlights.

You should read 3M technical literature (available on their website).

UV doesn't heat up the cabin - there is just not enough of it for that. IR is the primary culprit. The trick is to reflect IR and let visible through - that is hard to do and therefore CR films are expensive.

Why do you say films can't be legally reflective?
Old 16th March 2012, 08:55   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
You should read 3M technical literature (available on their website).

UV doesn't heat up the cabin - there is just not enough of it for that. IR is the primary culprit. The trick is to reflect IR and let visible through - that is hard to do and therefore CR films are expensive.

Why do you say films can't be legally reflective?
@vina, thanks for the 3M link. Yes they claim 97% IR reflectance. That is important and good to know. In some earlier posts claims were made that visible spectrum produces heat; and I doubt this. I just wanted to banish wrong ideas about sun-control, not that I am an expert on this. I do not think tinting is such a good idea. Do you agree on this?

I say car film cannot be legally reflective in the visible spectrum. I am not a lawer but just try to argue with the cop who cannot see inside because the film is visibly reflective.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:23   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Thanks a lot to akshay1234 & mi2n.

Today visited the V Kool outlet & installed K37 on my punto. The film is very good & installation was nice.

I avoided the T35 as it was too reflective for my taste & the colour of my car.
Hi Raj,

Did you install the sun film at V Kool's Santacruz location? A friend is looking to install the same on his blue colored Honda Brio. Will appreciate your response. Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:24   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Hi Raj,

Did you install the sun film at V Kool's Santacruz location? A friend is looking to install the same on his blue colored Honda Brio. Will appreciate your response. Thanks.
No buddy. I got it installed at Prabhadevi, next to SiddhiVinayak temple.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2012, 12:06   #953
BHPian

Guys, I was looking for sunfilms for my Maruti Swift Dzire (CS). Car is planned to be delivered in a week or so. However I have started enquiring about various sunfilm options.

When checked with 3M @ Andheri west, I was quoted ~Rs 5000/- for RE 35 (sides + rear) and ~Rs. 7000/- for CR 70 for front. Are the quotes appropriate? I thought these are on higher side. Any one has installed 3M recently?
Old 27th March 2012, 10:15   #954
BHPian

^^ The rates looks similar to what is being offered in Chennai. You can also try Garware ice cool shield for the front. Could save at least Rs 3500 without much compromise in heat rejection.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:20   #955
BHPian

Re: Sunfilm - V-KOOL (Rajendra Place, Delhi)

Buddies,

What is the "Law" here?. Is there something specific to Delhi? Is there a link to refer to the documented "Law"?

IMHO all vehilces should comply to the "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989".
This is published on the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways webiste @ http://www.morth.nic.in/index2.asp?s...nkid=58&lang=1

This has a Chapter (No 5) "CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF MOTOR VEHICLES 1989". This chapter has a subsection called "Saftey Glass".

You can refer to the "saftey glass" subsection from the same website @ http://www.morth.nic.in/writereaddat...9279688175.pdf

I am quoting only the relevant part of the saftey glass section here for convenience of the users.

"(2) The glass of the windscreen and rear window of every motor vehicle shall be such and shall be maintained in such a condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 70%. The glasses used for side windows are such and shall be maintained in such condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 50%, and shall conform to Indian Standards"

So, as per the above it should be sufficient to have VK70 (front & back) and HR50 (on the sides). (I am assuming that VK70 & HR50 comply to the above law for the recommended usage).

Is there any special rule specific to Delhi or any other state which requires higher visibility than the above?

Hope this helps people going in for sun films with better clarity.

Last edited by naut : 29th March 2012 at 14:23. Reason: Clarifying further.
Old 29th March 2012, 15:53   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.kedlaya View Post
Buddies,

"(2) The glass of the windscreen and rear window of every motor vehicle shall be such and shall be maintained in such a condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 70%. The glasses used for side windows are such and shall be maintained in such condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 50%, and shall conform to Indian Standards"

Is there any special rule specific to Delhi or any other state which requires higher visibility than the above?

For Delhi and Chandigarh, these are the perfect sunfilms i.e. 70% for front and rear windscreens and 50% for side glasses. But for Punjab, one should have 100% visibility all around the glasses/windscreens of the vehicle.

I was also planing to explore such sunfilms, which give 100% visibility but reject the UV rays along with heat rejection. Do we have any such sun film in any brand?

Cheers!
Irish
Old 29th March 2012, 17:20   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Law in Delhi is, as you correctly mentioned, 70% visibility on the front and rear glasses and 50% on the sides. I am not sure but I feel this should be legal in most other states too. During my stay in Bangalore for 6 years I was never stopped for sun films. I had ones with around 40% visibility. My friend had Jet black films and even he was never stopped for the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post

I was also planing to explore such sunfilms, which give 100% visibility but reject the UV rays along with heat rejection. Do we have any such sun film in any brand?

Cheers!
Irish
Well to be honest if you want then go ahead and get VK 70/ VK75 on all the glasses. These are as good as no films and I am pretty sure the cops would not be able to make out a difference.
Old 29th March 2012, 17:31   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Law in Delhi is, as you correctly mentioned, 70% visibility on the front and rear glasses and 50% on the sides. I am not sure but I feel this should be legal in most other states too. During my stay in Bangalore for 6 years I was never stopped for sun films. I had ones with around 40% visibility. My friend had Jet black films and even he was never stopped for the same.
If other states too have the same or more than your state's prescribed visibility limits (i.e. more than 70% & 50% in case of Delhi) then it's fine otherwise you are liable to pay the fine.

Such rules are actually a way to extort money (in the form of bribes / fines) by the other state's police or similar staff.

You / your friend might be lucky that the cops never took pain to stop and challan you. But in case they stop you, then you should pay the fine.

Quote:
Well to be honest if you want then go ahead and get VK 70/ VK75 on all the glasses. These are as good as no films and I am pretty sure the cops would not be able to make out a difference.
Need to see it before I believe because cops in Punjab, literally try to scratch the window glass from top if they have a doubt on any such vehicle. But then it's all your luck, if you are stopped or not.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 29th March 2012 at 17:34.
Old 29th March 2012, 22:15   #959
BHPian

Hi folks,

Posting my query here, as I think it has to do with the sunfilm.
As part of the freebies offered by my dealer, got sunfilm for my A-Star AT. I don't see any 3M or Llumar sticker, so I assume it's the cheaper Garware one.
The reflection off the sunfilm (that's what I think it is) is terrible and I could barely use the ORVMs. I haven't noticed this in any car I've owned/driven before. Do sunfilms take some time to completely dry/settle-in?
I'm wondering if I should wait for a bit longer or just rip these off and get better quality ones installed. Any pointers please?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Sun Film-glare.jpg  

Old 30th March 2012, 11:51   #960
BANNED

Quote:
IMHO all vehilces should comply to the "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989".
This is published on the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways webiste @ http://www.morth.nic.in/index2.asp?s...nkid=58&lang=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
But for Punjab, one should have 100% visibility all around the glasses/windscreens of the vehicle.
Quote:
Please refer to the rule. It is "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989" and is binding on every state. That is 70% for front and rear and 50% for sides.

For clarity on this issue let me explain. If you would remember sunfilm, all types was also banned in Delhi. But then sunfilm makers approached court and I believe it was the judgement of Supreme Court which clearly rejected Delhi Police blanket ban on sunfilms on the basis of "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989". When they argued it helped them fighting terrorism and crime the court retorted that Delhi Police should get "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989" amended and till that time it doesn't take place 70: 50 is permitted.

When Delhi Police further argued that they do not have the lux meter to measure transparency the court shot back that they should procure one.

So now until and unless Punjab has some special power that bypasses "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989", maybe the relic of terrorism days, which I doubt, you are free to drive with 70: 50 transparency anywhere in the India.

So go for the tint. Have the certificate handy and drive freely. If someone in Punjab stops you show the certificate and drive away. And if the person really persists aks him/her for the orders. Most probably he/she will not have it.

One more advise. Always keep the Transparency Certificate handy with your RC and Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate. In the coming days it will save you with lots of hassles, at least in Delhi.

JUST READ A TL IN BCMTOURING
I quote. "Punjab police caught me for tinted glass got away by showing certificate procured for my highway drives from accs. shop friend."

It confirms what I had speculated. Just keep the tints within permissible limits and, more importantly, have Transparency Certificate handy and drive tensionfree. Anywhere in the country.

Last edited by anandjha : 30th March 2012 at 12:13. Reason: Addition Info
Closed Thread

Most Viewed