Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 14:28   #961
BHPian

Re: Sunfilm - V-KOOL (Rajendra Place, Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Please refer to the rule. It is "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989" and is binding on every state. That is 70% for front and rear and 50% for sides.

For clarity on this issue let me explain. If you would remember sunfilm, all types was also banned in Delhi. But then sunfilm makers approached court and I believe it was the judgement of Supreme Court which clearly rejected Delhi Police blanket ban on sunfilms on the basis of "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989". When they argued it helped them fighting terrorism and crime the court retorted that Delhi Police should get "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989" amended and till that time it doesn't take place 70: 50 is permitted.

So now until and unless Punjab has some special power that bypasses "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989", maybe the relic of terrorism days, which I doubt, you are free to drive with 70: 50 transparency anywhere in the India.

Apologies for such a long reply, but we should discuss this in detail:

Quote:
As per the provisions of sub-rule (2) of Rule 100 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 the glass of the windscreen and rear window of every motor vehicle has to be such and be maintained in such a condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 70%. The glasses used for side windows have to be such and be maintained in such condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 50%.

The flagrant violation of the above said rule by use of extremely dark coloured sun films/tints on window glasses of cars led to the issuing of directions by the Hon'ble Punjab & Haryana High Court on the matter in CWP No.7639 of 1995 - Nimit Kumar versus Chandigarh Administration and Others. The Hon'ble High Court restricted the use of 'Black Films on Window Glasses' to cars of only those persons/ VIPs who needed to use such films to avoid serious security hazards. The Hon'ble Court authorised the Director General of Police or an officer duly authorized by him in this behalf (not below the rank of Additional Director General of Police) to issue permissions for the purpose to such persons under his seal and signatures. Consequent to this Court directive, permissions for use of black films were issued by way of special authorization stickers. The question that remained unsettled was whether these persons facing security risk could be permitted to use films darker than what was stipulated by the Central Motor Vehicle Rules. The Hon'ble Supreme Court of India in its recent order dated 27-9-2004 in Civil Appeal No. 3700 of 1999 (arising out of CWP 7639 of 1995) has directed that the mandate of sub-rule (2) of Rule 100 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 has to be kept in view by the law & order enforcing agencies while laying down any security requirement.
Source: Safety Helmets

Already discussed in one of the threads on TeamBHP here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1275296

Woman Sub Inspector challaned for tinted glasses in Ludhiana:
Traffic violations not to be tolerated in the city | www.punjabnewsline.com

Quote:
Please refer to the rule. It is "Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989" and is binding on every state. That is 70% for front and rear and 50% for sides.
The state governments in India have got the powers to add / amend the rules / acts made by the Central Government.

Quote:
STATE AMENDMENTS TO THE ACT
This Act has been enacted by the Central Government. However, the state Governments have the power to amend its provisions. (Article 246 of the Constitution read with item 42 of List III in the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution). This means that within the territory of each State the Act will be applicable in the amended form.
Source: Land Acquisition Act : Its Scope — National Law School : : Environmental Law

Another example with respect to the Anticipatory Bail in UP. A citizen of India can apply for anticipatory bail in his / her respective state (where the case was registered) except for Uttar Pradesh until 2010. Actually, the provisions of anticipatory bail under Section 438 of IPC was abolished in Uttar Pradesh by IPC (UP amendment) Act 1976. Recently in 2010, UP has also got the anticipatory bail provision.

News article on the same: Anticipatory bail provision back in UP after 34 years - Times Of India

Quote:

When Delhi Police further argued that they do not have the lux meter to measure transparency the court shot back that they should procure one.
Agreed. But do Punjab Police have such meters to check the visibility?

Quote:
So go for the tint. Have the certificate handy and drive freely. If someone in Punjab stops you show the certificate and drive away. And if the person really persists aks him/her for the orders. Most probably he/she will not have it.

One more advise. Always keep the Transparency Certificate handy with your RC and Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate. In the coming days it will save you with lots of hassles, at least in Delhi.

JUST READ A TL IN BCMTOURING
I quote. "Punjab police caught me for tinted glass got away by showing certificate procured for my highway drives from accs. shop friend."

It confirms what I had speculated. Just keep the tints within permissible limits and, more importantly, have Transparency Certificate handy and drive tensionfree. Anywhere in the country.
If a state has got the same permissible limits then its fine otherwise it all depends upon your luck and the money which you've got with you.

That guy from BCMTouring must be lucky as the police staff which generally checks (below SI rank) the vehicles are not much educated on such things. They must have got confused and took that certificate for some kind of approval form central government and let him go. Otherwise such police official on the roads of Punjab normally (90%) gives you a court challan. Therefore, most of the outsiders gets scared of attending the courts, tries to bribe them and police make quick money.

Apologies for such a long reply and going OT but this was much needed.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 30th March 2012, 14:34   #962
BHPian

Re: Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Guys, I was looking for sunfilms for my Maruti Swift Dzire (CS). Car is planned to be delivered in a week or so. However I have started enquiring about various sunfilm options.

When checked with 3M @ Andheri west, I was quoted ~Rs 5000/- for RE 35 (sides + rear) and ~Rs. 7000/- for CR 70 for front. Are the quotes appropriate? I thought these are on higher side. Any one has installed 3M recently?
I installed 3M SP20 on all windows + back glass for Rs.2200 for my Ritz. The job was well done and i can feel the difference compared to my previous Garware (i guess 35). The sun-film has 3M signs, which can be easily removed just by scratching with the nail.
Old 30th March 2012, 14:54   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
I installed 3M SP20 on all windows + back glass for Rs.2200 for my Ritz. The job was well done and i can feel the difference compared to my previous Garware (i guess 35). The sun-film has 3M signs, which can be easily removed just by scratching with the nail.
Won't the scratching with a nail damage the sunfilm, if you just let it be your eyes will get accustomed to the 3M water mark and will start seeing beyond it
Old 30th March 2012, 15:09   #964
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Won't the scratching with a nail damage the sunfilm, if you just let it be your eyes will get accustomed to the 3M water mark and will start seeing beyond it
Actually I think he meant finger nails but even that will lead to small scratches. I've been used to the 3M logos on my windows and it doesn't bother you at all.
Old 30th March 2012, 15:50   #965
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Apologies for such a long reply, but we should discuss this in detail:
A long reply indeed. And very enlightening. When I had googled I was also led to faq section of Ludhiana Police. On tinted glass it read, and I copy and paste:

What is the Indian law concerning tinted windows?
No vehicle may be operated in which a windshield, side wing, side window which is part of a front door, or rear back window has been covered or treated with sun screening material or tinting that would prevent the occupants of the vehicle from being easily recognized or identified through the window from outside the vehicle (IC 9-19-19-4).

You may see it by clicking here :: Welcome to Ludhiana Police Official Website. Or you may google. Without being technical it follows the spirit of Central Motor Vehicle Act.

And yes state government's have the right to make their own laws. But in case of conflict it is Centre's which will prevail. Or they may also do so under SPECIAL POWERS ACT, but let's not get OT.

Well the crux is you can chillax in Punjab. No dark tints. Only 70:50.

(And here comes the most hilarious part. The passage on tinted glass is direct lift from the website of Indiana Legislative Services Agency, in USA. How did I reach there? Just the curiosity to know what IC 9-19-19-4 at the end of their answer stood for?

So here we are Ludhiana Police quoting Indiana rule as in their section/subsection IC 9-19-19-4. It happens only in India. )

Last edited by anandjha : 30th March 2012 at 15:53.
Old 30th March 2012, 16:25   #966
BHPian

Quote:
A long reply indeed. And very enlightening. When I had googled I was also led to faq section of Ludhiana Police.

(And here comes the most hilarious part. The passage on tinted glass is direct lift from the website of Indiana Legislative Services Agency, in USA. How did I reach there? Just the curiosity to know what IC 9-19-19-4 at the end of their answer stood for?

So here we are Ludhiana Police quoting Indiana rule as in their section/subsection IC 9-19-19-4. It happens only in India. )
I had also googled the same FAQs page but didn't quote it as the information didn't seem to be authentic because they have used the Indiana rules. Everyone knows how such websites are developed. In such cases, the website contents are also not authentic.

I am not able to produce any link for my support (100% visibility on all the glasses in Punjab) but I know this fact from my own experiences. That's why I am looking for a film which has 100% visibility or looks like to be clear as I don't want to be in any unwanted situation.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 30th March 2012 at 16:27.
Old 30th March 2012, 20:12   #967
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
The flagrant violation of the above said rule by use of extremely dark coloured sun films/tints on window glasses of cars led to the issuing of directions by the Hon'ble Punjab & Haryana High Court on the matter in CWP No.7639 of 1995 - Nimit Kumar versus Chandigarh Administration and Others. The Hon'ble High Court restricted the use of 'Black Films on Window Glasses' to cars of only those persons/ VIPs who needed to use such films to avoid serious security hazards. The Hon'ble Court authorised the Director General of Police or an officer duly authorized by him in this behalf (not below the rank of Additional Director General of Police) to issue permissions for the purpose to such persons under his seal and signatures. Consequent to this Court directive, permissions for use of black films were issued by way of special authorization stickers. The question that remained unsettled was whether these persons facing security risk could be permitted to use films darker than what was stipulated by the Central Motor Vehicle Rules.
The answer is perhaps there in your quote only. The court bans black films, and that would mean something that is nearly opaque. And permits its use only for persons with high security risks.

And remember one thing the ruling of Supreme Court is law, until Parliament issues Ordinances or amends the rule.

There is no film that permits 100% visibility. Even the windshields since they are tinted are not cent percent transparent.
Old 30th March 2012, 21:40   #968
BHPian

i am getting my swift zdi torque blue delivered in a couple of days. the first and the only accessory planned for now is the sun films.

I see from posts above that 3m is being quoted at 3.5k and 7k for front and going for garware ice cool will sae 3.5k for the front.

What has been the experience with garware icecool? is it as effective.

What colour/variant is recommended?
Old 30th March 2012, 23:07   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick

I meant finger nail. Wanted to know if it is authentic, as the price seemed to be on the lower side dfor 3M. Driving in Chennai heat, the difference is highly felt.
Old 31st March 2012, 11:02   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
i am getting my swift zdi torque blue delivered in a couple of days. the first and the only accessory planned for now is the sun films.

I see from posts above that 3m is being quoted at 3.5k and 7k for front and going for garware ice cool will sae 3.5k for the front.

What has been the experience with garware icecool? is it as effective.

What colour/variant is recommended?
Similar query. Will get delivery of my fiesta in a weeks time. For the front, is the garware film recommended?
Old 31st March 2012, 19:26   #971
BHPian

Garware is good, but my Car Acessories dealer told me about a brand named Global, Which is also made in the USA like 3M. I have not personally used it. Does anyone have a first hand experience with Global brand?
Old 31st March 2012, 21:47   #972
Distinguished - BHPian

Where can I get garware icecool film in Delhi? I couldn't find a dealer and don't want to risk taking my car to a road side unknown accessory guy. The other option would be Vkool whose service is great but I do not intend to spend so much money on the films alone.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:46   #973
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Where can I get garware icecool film in Delhi? I couldn't find a dealer and don't want to risk taking my car to a road side unknown accessory guy. The other option would be Vkool whose service is great but I do not intend to spend so much money on the films alone.
After getting vkooled i can understand your expectations. Unfortunately I don't think you would be able to find any exclusive Garware outlet. The best bet I believe would be Lajpat Nagar. The shops which are located in the back lane are relatively dust free.
Old 4th April 2012, 17:08   #974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After getting vkooled i can understand your expectations. Unfortunately I don't think you would be able to find any exclusive Garware outlet. The best bet I believe would be Lajpat Nagar. The shops which are located in the back lane are relatively dust free.
What about 3M? I haven't even come across a dealer for that. Do they just randomly supply there stuff to accessory shops? Since they too charge a lot like Vkool, the least I would expect is for them to have a dealer.
Old 5th April 2012, 11:52   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What about 3M? I haven't even come across a dealer for that. Do they just randomly supply there stuff to accessory shops? Since they too charge a lot like Vkool, the least I would expect is for them to have a dealer.
I suggest you contact 3M through their website. They will revert back with the details of the dealer nearest to your place.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks