Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2007, 18:10   #76
Team-BHP Support

3M is still good but again on the expensive side. It's a little tough to find now also. their shades are slightly on the darker side.

I chose the middle shade and it turned out really dark and cost me 4.5K for just the back and side glasses.
Old 4th May 2007, 11:41   #77

Window Films & Car Lamination

Hi,
Since I am buying a new car I was going through Autocar for various accessories. The first one which I am thinking about is Window Films.

I came across various providers on Window Films. Listing a few for your reference.

1. Jhonson Window Films
2. XDS Protective Films
3.V-Kool Heat Control Films
4. Nanolux Films
5.Garware Films

My question is which window film is the best known in market? And is there any law which prohibits you to put tinted / reflective film on your car glass? Because when I was in Auranagabad, I had seen couple of times Police stopping cars with tinted glass and fining them.

Secondly I also came across Car Lamination service by a company in Mumbai. Does it make sense to put car lamination to protect paint? How effective it is?

Regards,
Sandip

Mod Note: Threads merged. Please do a search before posting.

Last edited by Rtech : 4th May 2007 at 13:37. Reason: Removed formating tags & merged thread.
Old 4th May 2007, 12:18   #78
BHPian

Today i visited a shop at tvpm they told llumar front sunfilm costs rs 6800, and garware costs 2200. They said only go for llumar and no garware. V-cool was also not as effective as llumar according to them.

Does llumar costs this much or is there any better solution to it at lesser cost.
Old 4th May 2007, 12:28   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
As someone already said, its exhorbitant. But its worth the price, especially if you have a high end car and want to protect your interiors also. I got it done in Infra Kool Solutions, Lal Bagh Road. 9886363207
I don't have a high end car. How much would it going cost for Optra? I can always call that number you've given but I need to have some idea before calling them.
Old 4th May 2007, 12:29   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
They said only go for llumar and no garware. V-cool was also not as effective as llumar according to them.
What "they" say depends on how much margin they have.
Old 4th May 2007, 13:27   #81
Team-BHP Support

if you search youll find lots of info on films.

vkool is the most expensive of the lot and also supposedly the best. you can also look at companies like 3m, llumar, dupont. the law says there has to be 50% visibility from the sides and 70% and the front and back. dont choose a very dark shade since the cops will catch you even if its legal.
Old 4th May 2007, 13:33   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I don't have a high end car. How much would it going cost for Optra? I can always call that number you've given but I need to have some idea before calling them.
Infra kool is the distributor for V-kool. I think the front glass is 7K or 11K not very sure.
Old 4th May 2007, 18:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
For the front windscreen it ranges from 7k to 11K. Expect a 5% discount if billed, or u can bargain for a 10% discount.

The top end sunfilm is 74% visibility and looks like a transparent sheet. IF you go for that for the entire car, it would cost you more. If you choose the varieties with 50% visibility for the sides or the lesser ones, the cost factor comes down. Also the prices are not the same across cars. Depending on the glass size the price varies.

Call him up and then go and look for yourself. He has a price list with him for all car models. He'll show it to you. Make your decision based on what you see.
Old 4th May 2007, 18:38   #84
Senior - BHPian

It costs 8k for the front windscreen. Overall the whole car it costs 20k which includes sunroof.

Talking about the Optra
Old 4th May 2007, 19:00   #85
Team-BHP Support

Rudra you can get light shades (very minimal tint) from Lumar which are more VFM and get only the front windshield from Vkool, should come for 5-6 grand. In total around 8-9 grand

if u want to do shopping tomorrow buzz me, i have learnt from my experience
Old 4th May 2007, 23:48   #86
BHPian

what about garware for frontscreen. It costs 2200.
Old 5th May 2007, 01:07   #87
Senior - BHPian

I just removed my jet black filming and now i wanted to get photochromatic film is it also illegal and what will be the cost of it
Old 28th May 2007, 16:13   #88
BHPian

I got Llumar Diamond series ASR-75 at TINT MART in blore. The sales and fitting was handled by a team from Llumar ( they are doing some kind of campaign. I was lucky in that regard ). The warranty is for 5 years. It cost be 5750 all inclusive ( 5110 + 12.5% VAT). The heating of my dashboard has reduced singnificantly and the tan on my fore arms has also reduced.
Old 28th May 2007, 19:02   #89
BHPian

Does anybody know of a place that would have a light meter, for testing the % of light passing through?

I would say, the only foolproof way to not get in trouble for a legal sunfilm would be to get tested, get a certificate, and maybe a couple of photos/video of the testing process (and put that on your mobile phone).

In case you are stopped, you can hand a copy of the Motor Vehicle Act + rules, and the test info. Otherwise, it's just the cop's subjective determination.
Old 6th June 2007, 21:43   #90
BHPian

Hyundai Getz comes with tinted glasses as standard fitment. Have seen the same with Hondas and fords..

but the tints does not do much about heat reduction. just reduces glare..

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Slightly off topic....

As far as I know, right since the very beginning, HM sold the Contessa with Tinted Glasses (Including the windscreen) as standard fitment.

Anyone has any idea which cars these days have tints as standard fitment ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed