Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2005, 23:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasopi
How much a 118NE engine cost?

For 118NE engine, can I use the same gearbox or do I need to get a 118NE gearbox also?
Better use the NE gearbox along with the engine. Its super smooth compared to the clunky Fiat one.

One of my friends' 1100 Select has been done up in a similar way. But he has a Zen carb and headers also.

The NE engine shouldnt cost you more than 5k and the gearbox another 2-3k in Bangalore gujri...
Old 20th July 2009, 23:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Please Guide

Today I want to share my joy with all the fiat/padmini folks. Inspired by the pictures of these beauties (fiats,super selects, millecento, 1100 delights) and experts experiences, I have also brought a 1990 premier padmini which was owned by a bank director. The car looks good, has all original parts, body is also good (certified by my denter) vehicle is on original paint and trust me its in good shape, odo meter shows 28,600 kms but seems it might have covered around 40-50,000 (as per mechanic), I felt happy with the looks and okay with the condition brought this car (I apologise for not having the pictures posted but will do it in a few days).

When I drove the car I see the engine is getting heated up quickly the temprature meter shooting up within 2-3 km drive then I imediatedly checked the radiator which was completely dried up so I quickly filled it with clean water and continued on but still the problem persists. My mechanic suggested a new head gasket will solve the problem beliving him I started the project " BEAT THE HEAT ". I need experts advice and suggestion as I am keen in keeping this car healthy and for a long time.

Last edited by chanu : 20th July 2009 at 23:37. Reason: addition of some more information
Old 21st July 2009, 16:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

"BEAT THE HEAT" Today's update

Head removed for changing the gasket, found that the head needs some cleaning and the mechanic suggested to have some valve work done so given it to the concerned, coming to the spares which was brought were water pump, water jacket, engine mountings, new fan (6 wings), fan belt, plugs, engine and gearbox oil, all gaskets etc. My personal buy was 2 LUMAX halogen lamps and indicators.

Can experts advice what is the difference in 4 wings and 6 wings fan? does it give a better cooling to the raditor. Radiator had a small leak at the bottom which was fixed, on the whole it seems to be good and can be used till next summer (as per raditor repairer). Work moving fast on my car, hope no major hurdle hamper the project eagerly waiting to have a drive, hope it comes as per plan.
Attached Thumbnails
What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-1.jpg  

What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-2.jpg  

What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-3.jpg  

What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-4.jpg  

What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-5.jpg  

What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-6.jpg  

What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-7.jpg  

Last edited by chanu : 21st July 2009 at 16:44. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 21st July 2009, 19:51   #19
BANNED

Where are you doing this job. Can you tell the mechanic name and address. I am also having 1995 137D car. Now i am searchin for a good mechanic in Hyderabd

Thanks

S. Das
Old 21st July 2009, 22:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

I got my padmini work done at Katchiguda near the traffic police station. I can give you his number. This is the first time I got some repairing works done with him, seems to be good as of now but can't confirm untill I have a long drive and understand the behavior of the car. Mr Das I will get back to you in a day or two.

As of now the experience ("BEAT THE HEAT" project completion) car sounds very silent, sometimes I doubt if the car is alive(from the drivers seat). This is the first time I am driving a premier padmini, its little different from other cars but I hope will get adjusted to its rhythm. Breaks are awesome (forgot discs/power breaks) these basic breaks (without discs/power) in few vehicles are really good, even my Mahindra DP 540 has good breaking system, very responsive. The clutch and break pedals are close by so I am finding it a little inconvenient, can anything be done for this. experts Please advice.

Last edited by chanu : 21st July 2009 at 22:39.
Old 21st July 2009, 22:52   #21
BHPian

The bottom mount of the radiator looks like its badly corroded. Have it replaced and also ensure that the mechanic actually mounts and tightens the mount on the bottom (it doesn't look like the bolt on the mount ever had a nut on it).
Old 21st July 2009, 23:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

thanks cracked head

@cracked head, Thank you for your observations. My mechanic has been apprised of it & he has taken care of it & the new mounts also have been fixed.

One more request. Can anyone take the subject of converting Premier Padmini 1990 model (non S1 engine) in to a LPG/CNG fuelled one. Pros & cons of it along with the specifications
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Here is my Premier Padmini 1990. I want your suggestion on a) bucket seats and b) wide tyres. Will it improve the drive quality or hamper it.
Attached Thumbnails
What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-pal.jpg  

What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-pal1.jpg  

What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-pal2.jpg  

What replacement engine for FIAT-1100D (premier padmini)-pal3.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2009, 15:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Chanu - please DO NOT use any fan except the original 4 bladed fan. It is yellow in colour and it will have EXCEL INDUSTRIES embossed on its hub. The petrol engine fan has a slight projection in its blades as compared to the diesel engine fan. It is easy to get confused, so please be careful. 6 bladed fan will unnecessarily load the water pump bearings and also rob the engine of power as friction increases. 6 blades are just not required. If things are in order, the production fan is more than sufficient to do the job. Also do not unnecessarily touch engine valves etc. Normally nothing happens to them. The mechanics will always tell you to do something as they earn out of it. Use cylinder head gasket of BANCO make only. Use water pump of Autolek or UCAL make only as these were OE approved suppliers. Aftermarket water pumps do not have nitrile seals, so life is not good.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2009, 11:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thank you sir for the valuable information. It is an eye opening to me. I was told that 6 blade fan would give more cooling to the engine. I will get the fan changed. We are honoured to have you folks with us.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:57   #26
BHPian

You have got a nice fiat Chanu.
Old 11th December 2009, 23:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
I have a Premier Padmini (1976 model) fitted with a Toyota 1.5 Diesel mated to original 4speed gear box. This one gives 18 kmpl
Other mods include bucket seats, floor shift , National A/c (awesome cooling )

Total cost of conversion 60K in 1999.

Now the car is used only to ferry kids from school

-Chaxy
I too have National AC in my Padmini, it is chillingly cool, and gives instant cooling. Thanks to three fans I have in my engine bay.

Most Viewed