Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 17:23   #1
BANNED

Buying Parts & Accessories Abroad?

Folks,

Many of us or our near and dear ones keep trotting the world and would not mind getting an item or two for us if we give them the exact details.

Wanted inputs from you frequent flyers and gurus on what to get US/Australia/Canada/Saudi etc.,
Any item that can fit into a suitcase and weighs few kilos allowing our traveler to get few gifts to other too would be welcome.
Some items that come to my mind are parking sensor/GPS system/exotic fragrances/seat covers...

Booked a car, while awaiting delivery, thought will get the list and start pinging folks on my wishlist

Cheers,
Vijay

moderator:Could not find any mail thread/better forum to post this & hence posting here...please do correct as appropriate.
Old 10th November 2009, 18:58   #2
BHPian

One shouldn't go for electronics for cars from the foreign countries because they will surely will not be designed for indian cars and indian conditions, Any fashionable accessory will do and it depends on your personal preferences (fragrances, leather interiors etc)

To remind you even the leather covers will rarely fit exactly.
The gps will not work until the service provider has its capacity of frequency and
The Parking sensors.. Are you thinking of installing them on your own, its is really difficult job and requires expertise..

Keep revving..
Old 10th November 2009, 20:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I frequently travel to U.S., and let me just say that there are very few things one can get.
Since most of our cars are European, chances of us getting something that will fit and work on our cars are rare.
So that means no performance parts.
The only thing I look at getting from here are those small items, like cleaning supplies, air freshners, keychains, etc.
Old 10th November 2009, 22:04   #4
BANNED

@ r@CYR@y - Welcome on board. One of the motivations was the informative thread on GPS equipment available from US, UK and online from China/HK which seem to be very popular and have been upgraded with Indian maps.
Also, are you suggesting that if I get the reverse parking sensors(anything that does not need screwing to the car?) from US/Australia, the corner shop auto accessories vendor would not agree to fit em?
I had bought a sony HU for a friend last year and it did cost him 11k while it is available here NOW for 16k or so.
Agree that leather seats etc., cannot be bought without the vehicle, but are there any other stuff?
I remember seeing good quality baby seats in cosco on sale with wide range of features & prices.
How about Australia?. Any famous stores to buy from?.

Vijay
Old 11th November 2009, 05:42   #5
knp
BHPian

@vjoy3, I had got quite a few stuff from US whenever I travel. I had got reverse parking sensors with rear-view mirrors from VR3 and it costed me around 40$, and I got it installed from local car mechanic, and paid 200/-. But, the same would cost here around 8-10k INR. Similarly, I got the HU, amplifiers, car perfumes, some fancy stuff like Wagan's car charger outlet which can be placed in the cup holder, etc, etc...I have Garmin 255W unit and got the garmin maps for 2k from satguide and they are working perfectly.
infact, if you are travelling now, you can look for great deals during thanksgiving season.
Old 11th November 2009, 06:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

ICE! Its going to be Thanksgiving soon, and you can get premium ICE equipment for fraction of the cost. You haven't mentioned your car of choice, but if it does not have a stock HU, and if you have a sweet ear, get a good premium HU and AMP. Speakers too are good, but they are heavy. (Sony is a BAD HU choice )

I am not into GPS for India right now, and prefer the good old asking-for-directions when in unknown land.

I have known of friends who have carried back performance stuff from the US- but be warned, they are heavy for one, and you need to know exactly what you want to buy it. The next I can think of is aesthetic mods- projectors, the bling works...
Old 11th November 2009, 11:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

A nice toolkit/puncture repair kit for our car? I am planning to ask one of my friends to get that.
Small items like LED screw on tire pressure monitors / neon glow sticks for interiors also are a good choice.

HUs / component speakers seem good idea - one of my friends got them from US when he was there for his alto here.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
......Could not find any mail thread.....
here is a thread of mine, you might get some ideas:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...stuff-usa.html
Old 11th November 2009, 12:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r@CYR@y View Post
One shouldn't go for electronics for cars from the foreign countries because they will surely will not be designed for indian cars and indian conditions
This is a wrong assumption. All electronic stuff works on 12V system. I picked up my first Balupunkt HU 9 years back from US for a song and was perfectly installed on to my then car Santro and served me for 4 years without issues.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:36   #10
BANNED

Any chain of stores famous in Australia?. Have booked Manza(and waiting for ever for its delivery) which comes with stock ICE, BT etc., Was thinking of parking sensor...what else is good to get from down under?
Old 14th November 2009, 10:59   #11
BHPian

better yet log onto Dealextreme. You will get most of your wish list there. You can get your bling stuff, car reverse sensors and other stuff at very low process. I have used it and have faced no such problem till now.
Old 14th November 2009, 14:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

yeah there is a lot of small exciting stuff that can be picked up. I got a few led lights, a car fridge, some decals, door beadings, other small tid bits at only fraction of the cost that I might have paid here. Plus there are certain items you dont find easily here. Even I got my JVC DVD HU from Dubai and it works just fine.
Old 14th November 2009, 14:27   #13
BHPian

@vjoy3 I bought a pair of light force hi beam fog lamps the ones costing about RS 18000 here are for Rs 8000 in the USA trust me if you like long drives at night you need a pair of these I am going to be installing them on my x-trail
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:39   #14
BHPian

Chicago - Auto Shopping

Hi all!

Great if someone could help me out.

I'm off to Chicago for a week long conference June 2nd week and would be staying near the Magnificent Mile.

I'm keen to do some auto-shopping, more particularly:

1. good detailing products
2. parts for my old Accord (OEM spec auto day-night mirror/projector head lamps/o2 sensor/PCV valve etc)
3. Some good synthetic ATF (Royal Purple/Redline)

Grateful if someone could tell me the following:

1. Where do I shop?

2. What would Mumbai customs not be comfortable with?

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:52   #15
BHPian

Re: Chicago - Auto Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
I'm keen to do some auto-shopping, more particularly:
1. good detailing products
2. parts for my old Accord (OEM spec auto day-night mirror/projector head lamps/o2 sensor/PCV valve etc)
3. Some good synthetic ATF (Royal Purple/Redline)

Grateful if someone could tell me the following:

1. Where do I shop?
2. What would Mumbai customs not be comfortable with?

Thanks in advance!
three options - Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, and O'reilly auto parts; just find which one is nearer to you.

however, i would suggest, if you can and time permits, get your parts from Amazon.com, you'd get them a bit cheaper (no tax while shopping online).

Royal Purple is very good (used it for four years on all my cars) BUT Indian Customs would not let you in with any kind of engine oil (it has to be imported via a distributor).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks