Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 11:20   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
However, coverage of roads outside city is pathetic. I have MapMyIndia/Satguide/TeleAtlas maps. And none of them have correct / complete database of road network. Somtimes they try to drive you through fields, some times even NH roads are missing. Some times, NH / SH names are marked incorrectly.
On the contrary, the SH/NH maps in south India are excellent on MMI. I have driven close to 2000km based on these maps that too mostly at night without getting lost. Like I said before, you have to use your instincts and sense of direction. In some places the maps are slightly off the actual road, but you still get the general direction you need to be traveling.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:32   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Coming to maps not being up to date, how realistically can you expect anybody to keep-up with our arbitrary one-way rules which change by night? That too on a national level?
I'm not talking about over night change of rule, changes made years back and the same not updated in the navigation system they provide.

Quote:
As far as I know, Map My India has the best maps available as of now. In fact I am some times amazed by the kind of detail they have in their maps.
Maps, I agree its MMI and for navigation all Sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
I decided to let it guide me from the Koramangala Indoor Stadium to Milk Diary Flyover. Oops, it took me through some narrow gullies and lanes difficult to drive through. I beat a hasty retreat and was back to my regular route. There are ways to fix a different and preferred route in the GPS and I am still in the learning process on the effective use of the device.
I really don't know what kind of algorithm they use to calculate the routes. Only calculating the distance or type of roads ? Imagine after a reroute you end up coming to the same point where the rerouting started. I'm experimenting my device on weekends just to know what actually it does. To my experience till now its pathetic. These navigation/maps in India is just for getting a rough idea. Stick to the old fashion method. Stop and ask somebody as of now.

I'm eagerly waiting to put my hands on Google navigation, hoping that its totally different from the existing Navigation tech.
Old 12th November 2009, 22:08   #18
BHPian

Using MMI maps for sometime ; coverage in Orissa, specially within cities of Bhubaneswar, Cuttack and Puri seemed to be quite good. I generally use it on long drives in arriving somewhere in the vicinity of the destination, and then ask around people to pinpoint on the exact spot.
As stated earlier, its your intuition + directional sense + GPS that works well.
Old 12th November 2009, 23:14   #19
BHPian

Mapmyindia in Chennai

I am interested in buying Mapmyindia navigator if I can walk into a store at Chennai, pay and get it. When enquiring at their web site they say that it can only be purchased on-line. Any stores in Chennai officially sells it?
Old 12th November 2009, 23:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Have seen it it E-Zone and Croma. Though their inventory of devices was limited.
Old 13th November 2009, 12:10   #21
BHPian

Nokia 6610 Navigator

I have Nokia 6610 Navigator with Route66 maps.
I found it to be pretty good, when I had got lost couple of times in Bangalore.

Traffic updates is ruled out, which is not there in India. And the way our city is changing, traffic directions (1-way etc) will keep changing.

Apart from these two negatives, it works great for me.

Btw, if you know the route ... why bother using navigator? It's useful only when you get lost in unknown areas.
Old 13th November 2009, 12:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yes its most useful if you are out of town. There, you might not even have general idea about major roads and directions.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:12   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezpo View Post
Btw, if you know the route ... why bother using navigator? It's useful only when you get lost in unknown areas.
A Navigator is for Navigate you on right direction/road according to your settings. Fastest/ Shortest . So knowing the route or not knowing the route doesn't matter.

knowing the route is a Plus when you use the navigator on the same road, as you can counter check its abilities, whether its taking you to the right roads and directions.

Yes if you are in a unknown city it surely navigates to reach the destination, But at what cost(read Fuel) and time?. Have you ever checked up the time spend in the car while reaching that destination using the navigator? Have you ever checked up the whether the navigator is took you for a RIDE.

Last edited by wildon : 13th November 2009 at 13:15.
Old 13th November 2009, 13:31   #24
BHPian

Google maps installed on my Blackberry works very well for me.
It helps me plan the route especially the out of station one's. And it precisely shows me my current location in relation to the planned route.

It displays distance, (Pretty accurate), indicative time for travel etc all of which are very useful

Flip side
Only works if there is network (Never had prblems as most of india is now networked and it not like you keep glued to the equipment, you may not even notice the areas that you pass without netwrk)

Does not give any real time data like oneways,roadblocks etc.

From a practicality purpose this is the best substitute for the GPS device.
Old 13th November 2009, 15:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Yes if you are in a unknown city it surely navigates to reach the destination, But at what cost(read Fuel) and time?. Have you ever checked up the time spend in the car while reaching that destination using the navigator? Have you ever checked up the whether the navigator is took you for a RIDE.

Wildon, When am in an unknown city, what's more important to me is reaching destination. And not how efficiently it takes me there, it would be an added advantage, if it's done efficiently.

I don't think a navigator will take some 100kms extra, to reach my destination. If it does, it's really bad!

By the way, what are my options in an unknown city?

1. Normal jugaad, General Public Suggestions ... i.e. stop and ask ppl frequently
2. Use a map book, need a passenger to help you out.
3. Phone-a-friend, need a passenger to help you out.
4. Use a navigator! Taa-daa ...

First hand experience example:
* It was raining cats n' dogs one night around 9pm, and I was struck on Hosur road. I wanted to reach Banneraghatta road. Switched on the navigator and entered into Bommanahalli, and followed the navigator. The best part was where all I missed a turn (knowingly and as well as unknowingly), it would quickly recalculate the route. It might have taken few extra kms, which I wouldn't mind under the given circumstances. It took me around 25mins.

* There were few more like: RT Nagar, Gaandhi Bazar, Vijaynagar, Rajajinagar etc. Where I had to go to friends/relatives houses or functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar View Post
Google maps installed on my Blackberry works very well for me.
Yup, quite good. But in any case, it's not a navigator. There are issues with GPRS service, wap-only subscription are cheap but slow/flaky and full fledged subscription is costly but speed is good.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Navigators has really arrived in India. It been more than helpful to me few times. Helps save time and money if you are in unknown place. Please check out my review about Navigators in this below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1580265
Old 13th November 2009, 21:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I am interested in buying Mapmyindia navigator if I can walk into a store at Chennai, pay and get it. When enquiring at their web site they say that it can only be purchased on-line. Any stores in Chennai officially sells it?
saw a few at Haute Car Zone at OMR.
Old 12th May 2010, 09:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Though I have not used phone based navigation, couple of my friends who have used them tell me that they are quite hopeless.
Hi
I am actually considering a bluetooth compatible gps unit to work with google maps on my nokia phone (nokia 6303) as my in-car navigation system.
The reason why I don't want to install the OTS navigation systems (e.g. MapMyIndia etc) is because I want this solution to be portable - therefore I can take it with me for example in another car, or hiking (so this must be able to run on batteries only).

What kind of problems did your friends encounter using phone based navigation? Is there any unit which does not have these problems - therefore which unit to buy?

Another point. Is there any limitation on the number of bluetooth connections a phone can simultaneously support?
therefore can my phone work simultaneously with
a) GPS unit
b) the XCarlink Bluetooth - which transmits voice over bluetooth to the car stereo (currently installed)
This is so - when I do use the unit in the car, everything works!.

let me know.
Old 26th July 2010, 23:56   #29
BHPian

Hi All,
I have been using MMI for past 8 months and journey is wonderful, I must warn you that online store of MMI where you call and give your credit card number and they fool you into buying a lesser known model called LX150. I went thru that patch,threatened them with consumer court and finally they gave me VX140 (at no extra cost)which is middle level. This works beautiful.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think one should go for a Large screen GPS enabled handset, it will be much better
my comments are there in the given link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2044304

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks