Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 17:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fake K&N Filters

I want to fix a Universal filter for my 1.6 GTX and I inquired the same with a dealer at Coimbatore through phone.

He wanted to make a sale and insisted that I be wary of many fakes in the market at lower prices and check before buying.

Any truth in this or is he bluffing?
Old 21st November 2009, 19:18   #2
BHPian

Maybe he is true. Why take chances ? Make sure you buy the filter from a authorized dealer,they open the K&N box seal in front of you,oil the filter and give it to you.
Old 21st November 2009, 19:36   #3
BHPian

you can get K&N or for that matter any other branded conical LOOK ALIKES for as less as Rs900.

So, I am sure there are lot of counterfeiters who fake the brand name on such filters and sell.

Its my opinion that its slightly safer ( not 100% ) to source from USA or UK.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2009, 20:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I had got a K&N universal filter for my mom's U-VA(only the stock filter assembly changed with a conical filter and a short-ram intake!)

I checked out the dealer from their website - K&N Air Filter & Air Intake Dealer Search - Where to buy K&N Products
(authorized dealers should be stocking genuine stuff IMO)

Now however I feel that I should've gone for the Typhoon cold air intake kit!

As it includes proper mounts/supports and separators that actually are beneficial to the filter assembly in terms of stability(filter is not hanging in the engine bay)

+ life(the separator prevents the filter to suck up any grease/dust etc. which the running engine might be splattering around)

not to mention added performance due to cold air intake!( I was new to K&N filters then unfortunately)
Old 21st November 2009, 20:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99
True, you could minimize the chance of buy a fake while buying from an authorized dealer.

But , the fakes could come anywhere in supply chain, either by the company delivery chaps ( the dealer may be unaware or aware ) , or the dealers can source fake directly to increase their profits..
Old 21st November 2009, 20:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is quite possible, if you want to buy a K&N filter buy it from an authorised and trusted dealer. Apart from the monetary loss a fake filter can cause serious damage to your car by allowing dirt though intake.
Old 21st November 2009, 20:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I had got a K&N universal filter for my mom's U-VA(only the stock filter assembly changed with a conical filter and a short-ram intake!)

I checked out the dealer from their website - K&N Air Filter & Air Intake Dealer Search - Where to buy K&N Products

As it includes proper mounts/supports and separators that actually are beneficial to the filter assembly in terms of stability(filter is not hanging in the engine bay)

+ life(the separator prevents the filter to suck up any grease/dust etc. which the running engine might be splattering around)

not to mention added performance due to cold air intake!( I was new to K&N filters then unfortunately)
Same her bro. Bought 3 K&N filter. One for my karizma one for zen & one for Ikon.I though the stock replacement gave a sportier sound like my karizma after putting the K&N.

Later i came to know about the conical,RAM & CAI thingies .
Old 21st November 2009, 21:41   #8
BHPian

I guess Methods Automotive is K&N's official distributor in India. Source it directly from them if you feel insecure about local dealers.
Old 22nd November 2009, 13:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

Sohail, the setup what you have is right or else you should get a custom made pipe to keep it away from sucking in hot air.

The Typhoon filter intake kits are for civic, Skoda RS and other high performance cars.
Old 22nd November 2009, 13:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Even if one can get a pipe mounted separator like the one shown below(which usually comes with typhoon kits), we can isolate the surrounding air to some extent!

Attached Thumbnails
Fake K&N Filters-kn.jpg  

Fake K&N Filters-kn2.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2009, 14:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

So its a fact that there are fake filters in the market.

Leaves me with two options

1. Buy from Methods Automotive.
2. Order online from the UK.

Also are there any ways to identify fake filters?
Old 23rd November 2009, 10:50   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Only a matter of time before any popular product has counterfeit options in India. Unfortunate.

Beejay, either buy one directly from Methods or from an authorised dealer of theirs.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Beejay, either buy one directly from Methods or from an authorised dealer of theirs.
That's what I think I should be doing. I also thought of giving a shot at buying online. There is another thread running here on the best sites to buy performance parts online. Lets see what comes there.
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:09   #14
BHPian

Guys i am about to buy these filters but the store which is selling these is not authorized. is there a way we can we can identify if its a geniun or a fake?
Old 23rd November 2009, 20:38   #15
BHPian

Not sure if there's a way to detect a fake product by way of packaging, but the original one comes with that free sticker inside the box . You can get yet another sticker for free, if you provide an online feedback to K&N, USA, mentioning your product code.

Most Viewed